• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FRUSTRATED with Yamaha... Chaincase Blown at 400 miles

I just got back from northern Maine and the guy that owns the motel where i stay was headed out Wed afternoon to get someone staying there with a SW with chain case issues also .I'll be checking mine over when i get stuff unloaded .Sucks this year for sure with the lack of extra parts as i just went thru it after one of my buddies crashed on my 17 doo .Iwas lucky to track parts down though .Stay safe .
What's up with the lack of parts for these sleds Ken. I was talking to a Doo dealer and he said they are also having issues with parts for the G4. Lots of stuff not available and on BO. I don't understand why? There seems to be parts for Cat and would recommend Winder owners to check with Cat dealers before waiting on Yamaha.

There have been reports of the chain case sight glass being installed improperly on assembly. When installed wrong they pop out causing oil loss and failure.

Over the years many have come on here to explain their experience with Yamaha customer service line. I would never bother calling there. What do you expect them to do? I made a fair deal with my dealer for him and for me and so if I have warranty issues I know I can expect my actual dealer to help me out with my sled and related trip expense losses. I have 1st hand past experience with reimbursement and with them taking parts off showroom sleds in the past to get me ready for a trip.

Backordered parts has a bit to do with "just-in-time" manufacturing processes these days. Maybe in this case there have been an unexpected number of chain case issues from the assembly problem. Expecting a telephone receptionist to understand and solve this for you is just simply unrealistic.

I don’t expect them to help me with my hard night at the bar.

There have been reports of the chain case sight glass being installed improperly on assembly. When installed wrong they pop out causing oil loss and failure.

Over the years many have come on here to explain their experience with Yamaha customer service line. I would never bother calling there. What do you expect them to do? I made a fair deal with my dealer for him and for me and so if I have warranty issues I know I can expect my actual dealer to help me out with my sled and related trip expense losses. I have 1st hand past experience with reimbursement and with them taking parts off showroom sleds in the past to get me ready for a trip.

Backordered parts has a bit to do with "just-in-time" manufacturing processes these days. Maybe in this case there have been an unexpected number of chain case issues from the assembly problem. Expecting a telephone receptionist to understand and solve this for you is just simply unrealistic.

I don’t expect them to help me with my hard night at the bar.

Brp customer service sucks also. Guys on DooTalk have had no help from them and they post these canned responses that make you feel like an idiot. I have always dealt with my dealer and let him deal with the manufacturer.

My 2018 stx-dx 146 I checked the tension on chain case after experiencing a ratcheting feel and found the bolt was 3 turns out from finger tight it the ratcheting I think was more do to an extremely loose track that I as with 150 miles it

I have to agree with u Dan

When I did my oil and chain work at 500 miles, my adjuster was barely snug...i was able to loosen my jam nut BY HAND.

Just like everything other clamp or bolt on these, not tight enough.

Dan
That is why I'm glad I changed my track when it was new Dan. I took the sled apart and put it back together and I know I tightened everything up properly.

My sight glass fell out as well at 170 miles. Noticed it gone before drive train failed. Dealer replaced the cover, gears, bearings, and chain.

Wtf.... customer service refers to dealer... dealer refers customer care.... BULLSHIT

ANYWAY, I'm suppose to get reimbursed some $$$.... anyone have experience with that process?

They couldn't give me any information about failure or if parts are available... stated dealer hasn't entered a diagnosis into system yet!

I would hope the dealer is working diligently to diagnose and fix but I doubt I will have luck with parts... the dealer was less then concerned about my misfortune, and I'm sure they aren't willing to call a Cat dealer or do everything in their power to fix my sled fast!

At this moment I think if I could get my money back I would gladly buy a Skidoo again I guess... this sucks Yamaha!!!!!

What's up with the lack of parts for these sleds Ken. I was talking to a Doo dealer and he said they are also having issues with parts for the G4. Lots of stuff not available and on BO. I don't understand why? There seems to be parts for Cat and would recommend Winder owners to check with Cat dealers before waiting on Yamaha.[/QUOTE

I Agree.. please check with Cat dealers on B/O Yami Parts.
We just had to get a chaincase for a Winder customer from Cat.

It does make it Easier when you sell both brands.

glad to say that atleast in my "case" the problem was rectified today... dealer came through and did what they needed to do

Seems the reverse actuator was somehow overthrowing the shift range and was in between gears of sorts.... this caused damage within and at some point the sight glass must have been knocked out... still seams to me there is issues SO ALL SHOULD GET TO KNOW. Your chaincase and inspect regularly

Let's hope for better luck

glad to say that atleast in my "case" the problem was rectified today... dealer came through and did what they needed to do

Seems the reverse actuator was somehow overthrowing the shift range and was in between gears of sorts.... this caused damage within and at some point the sight glass must have been knocked out... still seams to me there is issues SO ALL SHOULD GET TO KNOW. Your chaincase and inspect regularly

Let's hope for better luck
The one and only thing I like about 2 strokes over 4 strokes is the fact that all you have in a 2 stroke chain case is a chain and two gears. All these 4 strokes no matter the manufacturer have so much crap in the case that it's just asking for trouble. I had issues with the electric actuator on one of my 1200's along with a gear wearing out and not letting it go in reverse. When I look at all the gears and spacers along with an extra chain in my Winder I just cringe at the thought of something letting go.

That is why I'm glad I changed my track when it was new Dan. I took the sled apart and put it back together and I know I tightened everything up properly.
I tightened so many items in the fall before I ever had put a mile on my sled. Maybe that is why I have not had issues? It sure seems many things happening are from poor quality control in TRF just like always with cats.

I think the design and engineering is good for the most part.

And I still wonder about that coolant hose, if it was tight as mine now is after I tightened clamps...would any of those have got cut by ice? I'm no so sure they would have, as the tight clamps keeps the front exchanger and long exchanger tied together not allowing it to be pushed up or separated from eachother, and that is when it becomes vulnerable.

Dan

Maybe poor chain quality? I put in the -18 Sidewinder chain and drilled gear in my Viper turbo. Adjuster 1,0 turn out from finger thight. When I check it again after running 100 km the bolt was 3 turn out from finger thight! Maybe its a crappy China chain and not Hyvo?

Back