• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Future Yamaha Jet Boat owner

timebomb

TY 4 Stroke Guru
well i finally did it after thinking about it all winter. i went to my local dealer and told him what i was looking for and wouldn't you know it, he has the model i want in his warehouse. i haven't paid for it but i told him i'd take it and hes going to hold it for me until sometime this spring. its a leftover 09 sx230ho. now i'm hoping to sell my viper and my waverunner before i get the boat to put some $ down on it. this is going to be a long wait ;)!

Looks comfy.
I try to avoid jetboats though... they're bad on fuel and take WAY more power to move as a result of the inefficiency of having to suck the fuel through the pump.

Right now I've got one of these (2001): http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... specs.aspx

On one of these (2003 -- it was called "188" at the time): http://grew.ca/GrewBoats/Boats2009Grew/ ... index.html

With the 175, it'll out do a polaris jet boat with a Merc 250-DFI by about 20 mph on top (that is not an error -- 75 hp less, 20 mph more, same size of boat when you subtract the part wasted by the motor on the polaris). At ~40 mph it'll get about 20 mpg (the polaris will get about 2).

Current first choice in power would be one of these:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... specs.aspx
(don't worry about where it says "2006" -- its just an error on the page).

Fuel mileage, my 350 hp XR1800 can burn 32 gallons in 1 hour!!!!!!!!!! But its one fun fast boat.

"polaris" jet boat? Please fill us in or do we need someone to yell "shenanigans"!!!

Is that how you spell it? Either way, Polaris had a run in the personal watercraft business for quite a few years. Their turbo unit put out 150hp, my buddy had one. But I have yet to see a Polaris Jet Boat. I could be wrong about this. But I love it when someone proves me wrong (smile)

Don't get a jet boat, get a fishing boat, wait why get a fishing boat when you can get a new car. Don't get a new car buy a used one you'll save money.

Don't listen to the naysayers. What kind of idiot buys a boat for efficiency? The whole concept of boat ownership is the exact opposite of efficiency. If you cared that much about efficiency you wouldn't buy a boat anyways, so buy what you want and enjoy!!

thephast1 said:
Don't get a jet boat, get a fishing boat, wait why get a fishing boat when you can get a new car. Don't get a new car buy a used one you'll save money.

Don't listen to the naysayers. What kind of idiot buys a boat for efficiency? The whole concept of boat ownership is the exact opposite of efficiency. If you cared that much about efficiency you wouldn't buy a boat anyways, so buy what you want and enjoy!!

Exactly!! ;)!

Jet boats are fun and safe around my kids. I looked at quite a few and the Yamaha's are the best thought out by far. I could care less about top speed and purchased a boat that could do many things well. We fish, pull skiers, cruise, etc.. and just generally have a good ole time. Enjoy it!

If your looking for a website as helpful as this one... but for the boat, check out http://yamahajetboaters.com/ Great guys over there.

Good luck with the wait. I couldn't wait since I picked mine up in the winter... headed straight for a week in Florida. lol

I have this one. Its an 06. Awesome boat. Big fun with the kids. ;)!

CIMG0282.jpg

CIMG0258.jpg

Kids love the rear swim platform!
CIMG0366.jpg

yeah i can't wait, i wanted the yamaha reliablilty. as far as efficient, what boat is? they all suck fuel like there is no tomorrow. the yamaha design is very family oriented and thats what i'm looking for. i don't want some 30-40 footer with twin 502s or anything, could care less. i like the idea of no drive hanging down in the water.

i'm a member on yamahajetboaters.com good site.

superman, what do see for top speeds with your sx?
thephast1, your 100% right. i was going to say the same thing if someone else didnt. from the research i've done, this sx230ho is the most affortable and functional boat for its size.

it will we hard getting used to only going about 50mph versus 65+ on my waverunner. oh well, its for the better.

thephast1 said:

Moron.
Kinda hard to enjoy your boat when its blowing $100/hr in fuel and tops out at 45.

Mine isn't the H.O.. So I'm seeing about 47-48 on the GPS. I've had the boat out once with just me in the boat with the bow cover on with the bimini all the way down and I saw 50. But I never run the boat like that. Most of the time I'm running it just he way you see it in that pic, with the top up and the whole family. I've always heard the H.O.'s were good for low 50's. Wish I had the H.O. but oh well.

Back