• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing, track and turbo question.

Dirtbikekid1998

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX SE Hurricane 190hp Turbo.
I have the 190hp hurricane turbo for my 2014 ltx se on order and I cant wait until this winter to ride it but I was thinking of doing a track swap wile I have it apart. I have been looking at the 1.6 ice cobra and I think for what I do it would be great 60-40(trail-off) I already know I like the pre studded track because I had two of them on my apex and I only what it for safety and I know it wont be good for anything else but the extra safety. Now for the question I have seen many people suggest to swap to the 21-41 gears for the extra top end that the viper needs and with the turbo you cant tell the difference on bottom, I was going to do this until I wanted the 1.6 track. With the gear change will the taller lug track be to much for the taller gears? Or should I just keep the stock 24-50? How many of you have put a lot of miles on the 1.6 ice cobra? how long has it held up for you? I put about 2500-3000 miles per year and I have read that people really like there 1.6 on the trails so I don't think that will be a problem but I just don't want it falling apart half way trough the season. I have tried the search on here and online for the last two days and can only find a review on the track but not with the gear change.

Swap out the gearing, it'll really compliment the sled, stock gearing is way too low for a turbo sled, I have the stock ripsaw 2 track on my ltx se but I have 160 studs which will give more resistance and rotational mass than a 1.6 track and I'm 100% satisfied with the 21/41 gearing, no regrets.

Swap out the gearing, it'll really compliment the sled, stock gearing is way too low for a turbo sled, I have the stock ripsaw 2 track on my ltx se but I have 160 studs which will give more resistance and rotational mass than a 1.6 track and I'm 100% satisfied with the 21/41 gearing, no regrets.
ok awesome that's what i was hoping to hear.

ok awesome that's what i was hoping to hear.

The two biggest benefits I noticed with the taller gearing was obviously top speed but it also calmed the sled down a bit down low which made it so it would hook up better, or actually hook up should I say, stock gearing would just blow the track out where as the taller gearing maintains traction better and ultimately makes the machine all around quicker and more fun to ride

The other benefit of the taller gearing is fuel mileage. I can get over 16mpg with my 190 turbo when I want to and still have fun with it. It's handy on saddlebag rides.
Are you getting the quiet muffler? I have the Hurricane 190 kit also and was thinking of getting the quiet muffler. You will like that kit---very simple and durable.

The other benefit of the taller gearing is fuel mileage. I can get over 16mpg with my 190 turbo when I want to and still have fun with it. It's handy on saddlebag rides.
Are you getting the quiet muffler? I have the Hurricane 190 kit also and was thinking of getting the quiet muffler. You will like that kit---very simple and durable.
Ya i have to go with the quiet muffler,a warden likes to sit rate where i get on the trails and he busted so many people last season for loud exhaust so the hindle is out of the question. with the taller gearing are you still able to have the strong punch on take off or is it like Studroes said it is better because the track hooks and not spin out.

It is great on the bottom. I decided to gear it even before I turbo'ed it. My thoughts were the same-- It needed some gears to keep it from spinning out and gain some "drive" off the corners. Top speed is not my biggest concern as I don't really lake race.
Clutching is another subject you might want to look in to. I found the stock belt worked fine for my stock Viper, maybe one of the few here that ran a belt for 3000 miles. The stock belt proved to be inconsistent though when I started to add power and affected how I tuned my clutch. I am going to a different belt this year , probably the 8DN thought I might try some of the others recommended here.

Thanks for the review that's what I was hoping to hear about I will be most definitely adding the gear change to the list for this summer. And yes I know about the stock belt issue when trying to dial in the clutch. I am planning to go with the hurricane clutch kit and use the 8dn belt unless Dave at hurricane tells me other wise. We have been using the 8dn in my dads mpi kit with ulmer clutching and it has been working great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is great on the bottom. I decided to gear it even before I turbo'ed it. My thoughts were the same-- It needed some gears to keep it from spinning out and gain some "drive" off the corners. Top speed is not my biggest concern as I don't really lake race.
Clutching is another subject you might want to look in to. I found the stock belt worked fine for my stock Viper, maybe one of the few here that ran a belt for 3000 miles. The stock belt proved to be inconsistent though when I started to add power and affected how I tuned my clutch. I am going to a different belt this year , probably the 8DN thought I might try some of the others recommended here.

That's exactly how my sled was, in stock form I had no issues whatsoever with the stock belt, once I did the turbo I can only get 200 miles out of a stock 8jp viper belt before they grenade apart, one was so bad it blew the bottom of the side panel right off. I've had good luck with the 8dn, got about 800 miles out of one this past season before it started to unthread some so I'm pleased with that. Just recently got 2 brand new 8dn belts for $50 each shipped to my door so if I get 800-1000 miles out of a belt on a 200+ hp machine I'll be very happy, plus I do a lot of high speed running and hard launches so that's another factor to consider, average everyday trail riding shouldn't give you any belt issues once u got the right setup that you like.

My belts didn't explode, in fact I ran 1 for over 2k miles. They were just inconsistent with my Rpm's. They would overflash when they were cold a and didn't run repeatable rpm's.
I take that back--I did blow one in Maine riding at 50 degrees on some loooong pulls. That belt had 2500 miles on it and had been thoroughly abused. I also run dragon fly weights which seem to help. My buddy would blow a belt every 300 miles with his 250hp Cat and the dragon flies cured that...he is currently over 1000 miles on his current belt with no cords hanging.

Most of us turboed early on had terrible time with the 8jp. I went through 6 of them in the first season. Since the 8dn I have 800+ on one and swapped out to a new one for the 660' radar runs. I know that Yamahatim was the first to do the swap and it cured his from blowing them every 150 to 200 miles.

Most of us turboed early on had terrible time with the 8jp. I went through 6 of them in the first season. Since the 8dn I have 800+ on one and swapped out to a new one for the 660' radar runs. I know that Yamahatim was the first to do the swap and it cured his from blowing them every 150 to 200 miles.
Thanks for all the advice guys on the 8dn I went through that hole thread on how the 8dn cured all the vipers problems with clutching and the 8dn solved the turbos belt blowing problem. After reading that I was going to switch to it if I turboed or not. When we turboed my dads stx dx with the mpi 180 I didn't want him to have any problems with clutching so we started right off with the 8dn

Yeah I did a whole season at 252 hp and never blew a belt except the 1 8jp I had left and ran it for about 15o then it let go. Never blew an 8dn since.

Yeah I did a whole season at 252 hp and never blew a belt except the 1 8jp I had left and ran it for about 15o then it let go. Never blew an 8dn since.
Awesome! I would think if it could handle 250hp it should 195 haha

It will! are you having the secondary machined to prevent bind? cause that is another reason for belt problems and poor top end. Allen Ulmer does a great job on them.

Back