• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing

Country
USA
Snowmobile
APEX
I'm spring buying a sidewinder. Ive been reading whatever I can about it, and the only thing that "scares" me is the gearing. Will it be "tall" enough, or is it going to run out?

I'm spring buying a sidewinder. Ive been reading whatever I can about it, and the only thing that "scares" me is the gearing. Will it be "tall" enough, or is it going to run out?
122 mph how much more do ya need!

Lets put it this way,the apex's were all overgeared for the most part,this sled for the most part will be spot on,now if I were to do very long speed runs yes,i feel it will run out,but not on normal snow conditions,i may even want to see it run 130,for that speed you will need more gear,maybe just one more on top.

Lets put it this way,the apex's were all overgeared for the most part,this sled for the most part will be spot on,now if I were to do very long speed runs yes,i feel it will run out,but not on normal snow conditions,i may even want to see it run 130,for that speed you will need more gear,maybe just one more on top.
That's what I thought about my 09 Apex. I actually geared down a tooth. I have a buddy who is ordering an 850 E-Tec...I don't want to hear about my "heavy, slow, 4 stroke" lol

That's what I thought about my 09 Apex. I actually geared down a tooth. I have a buddy who is ordering an 850 E-Tec...I don't want to hear about my "heavy, slow, 4 stroke" lol
Are you getting a sidewinder? if you are,he will be saying WTF is up with this monster.

I never run any studs in my sleds anymore after riding with buddies who had thrown studs through there hear exchanger. Tired of having weekends ruined. And with this sled having a full tunnel heat exchanger I think I will just stick with putting in a 1.6" ice cobra.

Yes, I plan on it...unless it's a bad idea?
YEP!!!! Just came back from Canada where there was great riding, almost the ONLY riding in all of America and first day...BOOOOM! Stud through buds' exchanger. $850, a day lost & he rode softly for 2 days because of hole in track. Luckily we salvaged 900 miles cuz he felt so bad we drove 10 hours away. I used to love studs, but every track i've ever changed started with a stud pulling out. I now have OVER 11,000 miles on my Ice-Ripper & it STILL looks good. BTW he is now putting on pre-studded track...

YEP!!!! Just came back from Canada where there was great riding, almost the ONLY riding in all of America and first day...BOOOOM! Stud through buds' exchanger. $850, a day lost & he rode softly for 2 days because of hole in track. Luckily we salvaged 900 miles cuz he felt so bad we drove 10 hours away. I used to love studs, but every track i've ever changed started with a stud pulling out. I now have OVER 11,000 miles on my Ice-Ripper & it STILL looks good. BTW he is now putting on pre-studded track...

The studs look good , because they really are not doing , what the regular studs do .
Camso admits the lugs , particularly on the 1.6 Ice Cobra bend over , and the is why the studs look like new .
I have studded every track I have ever had , and most of them I have done myself , and never had an exchanger issue ! Over 30 years !
I have an ice attack on a GSX 600 , that my wife and friends use , and it is fine , for that application .
Not for a Sidewinder , or my Apex .
I am planning on getting the 137 , and putting on a Ice Cobra , and adding 2 studs per section .
Camso says they have heard of others doing the same thing .
Its the same as getting the Cobra and studding , except with a little added traction , which you will need for the Sidewinder .

I bet they were not double backers plates,i will never run single backers again,and I also don't stud the outside row any more as well,if you run double backer plates and even if you lose a nut on one,chances are the other stud with its nut still in place will hold until you figure out you have one nut missing.

Back