• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gems or RB3 on supercharged apex

stephenpen

Expert
I pickup an apex with a mpi kit on it. The kit is using a Gems fuel controller for a piggy back. I have an RB3 I'm not using, should I use it instead of the gems unit.

How does it run on the GEMS? I am one of the few that like the GEMS its simple, works good, and safe. Its not perfect and I could adjust my AFR at different points a little bit better but since I set it two years ago I just ride now. No tweaking on it. at all.

I'll let you know when I ride it saturday. The machine has been running good with it for the last two years. If I don't have to spend the money on the rb3 wire harness I won't. I know its running good now so I'm a little worried about starting over with a new system.

stephenpen said:
I'll let you know when I ride it saturday. The machine has been running good with it for the last two years. If I don't have to spend the money on the rb3 wire harness I won't. I know its running good now so I'm a little worried about starting over with a new system.

I would stick with the GEMS if you have it set up decent and it has been reliable. I have run both and if I did it again I would have just stuck with the GEMS. You will see increased fuel economy and the sled will run crisper if set up right on the RB3. Another nice touch is having two fuel maps setup: 1 for low elevation, 1 for high elevation.

The only thing I would do if sticking with the GEMS is carry a spare unit. Nothing ruins a day like a wet GEMS.

Ran 26# of boost on a stage III MPI with a GEMS, it ran great. Never got to test it back to back with an RB3 for comparison, but the GEMS worked good.

Back