• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS help

207nytro

Pro
Anyone have any suggestions for picking out a gps unit? I would like to have one that can record where we have ridden(mark its own trails)if this is even an option. Rechargable would be best as well as the ability to buy the maps online and of course waterproof. I would like to hear some short reviews on what people have and any likes and dislikes about them. Kinda want to get an idea of what you can get for features at different price points. It doesnt need to be viewable while riding either. Thanks for anyone that can help!

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=102425

a few people answered a couple of your questions in a post i made at the beginning of last winter. after much debate I ended up going with a garmin 60csx (it was on closeout sale) it is a little older model but it does everything I need it to... the newer ones are much more user friendly. there are alot of gps forums out there that will give you great advice too, along with links to free maps for the area you ride in. ive got maps for the entire state of alaska, washington, oregon and california from www.gpsfiledepot.com , they have maps for almost every area in north america, and probably more... you can also make your own maps with custom layering if you have the proper software. there can be alot to learn if you want to really get into it, hope this helps

does the 60csx give you the option to create the trails while you drive? such as if i am driving down a trail that isnt marked yet on my gps could it be set to mark and record the trail for future use?

Yes

Attachments

• DSC01189.JPG
    DSC01189.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01189.JPG
    DSC01189.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC01082.JPG
    DSC01082.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01189.JPG
    DSC01189.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 128
Thanks all of the gps must do that then since none specify whether or not they do.
Would you guys rather have the gps or a chatterbox system. It will be between the two most likely this year and right now i am leaning towards the gps because the chatterbox really only comes in handy if someone else in the group gets lost, and when we ride we wait at each intersection point on a trail or stop when there are none to make sure everyone is still together.
We probably won't go for a ram mount either but more of just carrying it in pockets or map compartment as I have heard they are not the easiest thing to see on the trails and I would rather have my eyes on where I am going.

I have both, and it depends on your riding style. For trail riding, the chatterbox is an invaluable saftey tool for warning of accidents, turns, groomers, stopsigns, and such. You will NOT just carry on a conversation with these. They are not as clear as a phone while flying down a trail. If boondocking, then maybe a gps will be better, but then I would recommend a sled mount to see it often. Really, one is about saftey now, and one is about saftey later. I highly reccomend both, although a paper map relly is fine if you are paying attention to your location at every intersection marker for trail riding. Good luck

Maybe I will try to do a little shopping around and see if I can find them at a low price and maybe get both. I can no longer find the 60csx from a legit site so i am looking a the 62s. and was thinking that the best and cheapest chatterbox to get for snowmobiling is the multisport. How well do they work in Motocross style helmets?

I have had all of the chatterbox, and would only get the new X1 slim. I am getting a couple new X1 slims myself in a month or so. I had the multi sport....to many wires. I also feel the 5 mile range is important to get 1-2 miles in the real world. I also had a couple of the collets, and they had crappy range. My current large X1 keeps breaking tabs(so does everyone elses). Best price I have seen for X1 slim is $297. I would consider selling a couple old X1's maybe....if you want to replace tab mounts about every 4-5 days of riding.

So i have been loking at gps systems. and came across the garmin rino 520hcx. and thought since this unit is also a two way radio waterproof and can send coordinates to other riders in the group getting two of these could eliminate the need for chatterboxes. But the thing is, is there anyway to hookup a helmet headset to the gps that can utilize the voice recognition feature(i think it automatically transmits when you talk like the chatterbox.) Anyone done this before? the system is supposed to have a 2 mile signal on frs and 14 miles on another mode.

In order to get a vox set up with this, you would need to tether it with another system like sena, uclear, or jmcorp. These would give you a bluetooth enabled vox headset ability. I do think that the rhino looks very cool, and could defenatly do what you want with the addition of more componets/more $$. Good luck in your quest.

I know this has gotten off original topic, but the O.P. asked about this. So an update: Me and brother did purchase the new chatterbox X1 slim in november 2012 and ran these all winter. The reception is on par with the older units. About 1-2 miles in the real world. The battery life is way better. We could run all day with tons of battery life remaining at end of day(the old units usually died after about 8-10 hrs. They are much smaller, lighter, and no breaking clips. We can listen to FM radio within about 20 miles of a tower, or listen to our mp3 or any other bluetooth device. As with all other VOX devices that I have used, the VOX becomes worthles over about 50 mph as the mic will open.....so we just go to PTT. Chatter box is claiming to have a wireless PTT button out very soon that will mount on the handlebar. I will be getting this. All in all a very nice setup, with my only complaint being that the unit does so many things that every button does 3 or 4 functions, and it can get confusing.

Back