• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hardwire Garmin Nuvi

mikechm3

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha STX-DX
  1. Hey guys, I just bought this hardwire cable off eBay for my new Garmin. I installed and wired it direct to the battery. After getting it all tied in and clean I noticed that there is a little red LED always on inside the voltage regulator. Just wondering if it would be wise to splice in a switch between the regulator and the battery or will it make little difference. From what I have read the voltage regulator needs to stay in there to drop it down to like 5v or something to avoid cooking the Garmin. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20170122_131432.jpg
    20170122_131432.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 225

You can always just hard wire it into a key'd source. I use rocks power supply for my Garmin. But to better answer your question on my last sled I used some bullet connectors and just unplugged the hot if I wouldn't be riding for a while. That light shouldn't drain a battery but it is a drain.

I hear ya, I bought this acc. splitter in the kimpex catalogue but wasn't sure about running off a keyed source. My heated seat takes up the acc. plug. Pretty cheap at $12. Ill give it a try then.
20170122_131230.jpg

I had used a cigarette lighter adapter mounted for several years with an LED always on and I never had an issue killing my battery. During the off season, I would disconnect the battery though.

I never liked hooking up a GPS to a keyed source, as it would have to cycle on and off all the time, causing issues with creating tracks and more than likely, shortening the unit's lifespan. I prefer my GPS to be on at all times. When I'm done sledding for the day, I remove the GPS and bring it inside.

Back