• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help viper stalls

yamahartx

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha viper
My yamaha viper 2014 is having starting issues cranks but does not fire when it decides to start it will stall after a very short ride 5 mins or less . Then will not restart. I had old fuel from last year in it might have something to do with it . Drained it out new 91 Octane plus gas line antifreeze... could it of found a plug has anyone had an issue like this sled worked perfect last year

My yamaha viper 2014 is having starting issues cranks but does not fire when it decides to start it will stall after a very short ride 5 mins or less . Then will not restart. I had old fuel from last year in it might have something to do with it . Drained it out new 91 Octane plus gas line antifreeze... could it of found a plug has anyone had an issue like this sled worked perfect last year
Few things to check here. I had a similar issue and felt very stupid when it was solved. The battery terminal was not 100% tight so it would intermittently lose connection and stall out. I would first check that your battery is good. The sled absolutely needs a good battery to run. Next I would check the TORS cable adjustment. If it is too tight or loose it will cut out the sled as a safety mechanism. Lastly I would change the plugs, they can get easily fouled but are not the most enjoyable thing to change out on these.

I changed the plugs they were wet .. checked the battery cable it seems ok charged it up tried it today started right up seems to be ok will update tomorrow gona go north and try it out . Thank you for your help will update tomorrow night

Check your battery TEST it. I just took out the original battery - it seemed Ok but it started and died 1 or 2 times before it would idle. With the new battery it pops right off! Original battery was over 9 years old.

Brand new battery in it . Took it out today started right . Let it warm up to have way took it 100ft and it stalled ..... would not restart threw a code p1338 crankshaft sensor spike ??? Could the crankshaft sensor cause this ?

Brand new battery in it . Took it out today started right . Let it warm up to have way took it 100ft and it stalled ..... would not restart threw a code p1338 crankshaft sensor spike ??? Could the crankshaft sensor cause this ?
One thing the dealer told me about the error codes is that they are not stored, and it basically will flash whatever is causing an issue at that exact moment. Meaning, a fuse or relay could be bad causing poor electrical issues. The crank sensor might not be bad, but that is the resultant issue at that moment. Since mine was the battery it was causing multiple intermittent issues. With a new battery that is odd for you.

Yeah thanks for the info viper_dean the dealer tested the crank sensor they can't seem to figure it out

It's gota be able to be fixed.
Could it be the throttle position sensor or ground wire somewhere...
It's throwing some different codes crank sensor spike detcted crank sensor tooth not detected. Tps sensor. idle air air circuit.

I changed the plugs they were wet .. checked the battery cable it seems ok charged it up tried it today started right up seems to be ok will update tomorrow gona go north and try it out . Thank you for your help will update tomorrow night
I had trouble similar to yours and found it took awhile to run that crap gas through. Changed plugs and used a high quality injector cleaner, fixed the problem. I change the plugs every year. It's a cheap maintenance thing. Plugs do go bad on a four stroke sometimes.

Well it's had 2 sets of plugs this year so far and keeps fouling them up . I could be the old fuel is still in the line. Almost thinking a ground issue or ecm ?

Yamaha dealer diagnosed the ecm as the issue . Got the sled back drove it 20mins and it quit again .... p1338 code came up I'm loosing my mind here !!

Yamaha dealer diagnosed the ecm as the issue . Got the sled back drove it 20mins and it quit again .... p1338 code came up I'm loosing my mind here !!
Did they replace the ECM or did they just tell you its causing a problem?

They replaced the ecm they claim that it was the problem not totally convinced of that though .

Back