• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

High idle/womt comme down when warm

Brudulje

Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2004 rx1 turbo
Hi. I recently bought a 2004 rx1 with a 240 turbo kit installed. When i start it up when cold it idles fine, i wait for the warmup light to turn of and then drive it really slow for 2-3 minutes after warming up good the rpm's just holds at About 3000 and it wont come down. If i flick the choke on and off it usually drops down to normal, but as soon as i touch the throttle it jumps up again.
Im new at these sleds and im not quite sure where to start troubleshooting, anyone that have had this issue or could point me in the right direction?

Also if i shut it off when warm it wont start again before sitting about 15mins :-( and it backfires once every time the engine stops turning..
All help really appreciated :)

Sorry for the typo's and bad spelling :-(

Last edited:

Is there a handlebar riser? Maybee the throttle cable is too short now if there is.

Ah, sorry i should have mentioned that i have checked that there is some slack on the throttle wire. I have ruled out obvious things like that.

My problem is that im not familiar with this type of carbs with the vacuum control, and im not sure if there is any electronics that can make this problem?

Sent fra min E6653 via Tapatalk

You may have to clean the carbs. Also having the turbo I would make sure the jetting is correct. It sounds like the pilot is either lean from being dirty or to small. If its lean that can make your idle high and that's why when you choke it the idle comes down. I would clean the carbs and make sure it has all the correct jets while its apart.

Thx man, im going to take them of and clean the jets tomorrow. You dont know what size i should have for the 240 kit? It was a home install from a previous owner so there is a good chance it may be wrong. I live at only a few feet over sea level and i ride at max 1500 feet if that makes any difference..?

Sorry I have no idea what should be in there. My sled is all stock. You might be able to find out from what the turbo kit is online and contact the seller of it to find out the proper jetting. It probably has the right ones in it. I just don't always trust what someone has done. You most likely have to just clean the carbs.

Thx again. Im going to take them out and call a yamaha center in Sweden that does turbo kits and hear what they recommend :)

Two things you need to know, 1.:carbs:2. when warm restarting give it just a touch of throttle and it will fire right up. I own 3 of these sleds and have to do it to all three of them. I think from being warm when parked the carbs perk a small amount of fuel and the little more air they come right back to life. :4STroke::yam::yam:

Thx, yh i usually give it some throttle when restarting it, but the last time i was out riding it wouldn't start again before sitting about 15mins. Ill have to test it again after cleaning the carbs

check your vent line on top of tank had two ive worked on building vaccum in tank causing odd issues like yours a good sign is after it runs awhile see if gas cap is pulled down from vaccum and open gas cap to see if vaccum in it.THe two i fixed it was kinked were hose goes in bracket on right side of frame

If you touch the choke, and the rpm's drop.. it could mean you have an air leak after the carbs. Mine was having the same issue recently.. but mine wound up being the idle screw turned up WAY too much.

If you touch the choke, and the rpm's drop.. it could mean you have an air leak after the carbs. Mine was having the same issue recently.. but mine wound up being the idle screw turned up WAY too much.
Another idea came to mind after reading your post is to make sure the carbs are seated properly into the air box boots.

I dont have a airbox there, i have a big intercooler instead ;-)

Another idea came to mind after reading your post is to make sure the carbs are seated properly into the air box boots.

I'm hoping mine was just the idle screw. I plan to pull my carbs off this weekend, and go through them just to be safe.

Back