• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How not to treat your Viper

The sad part is that if the rider knew the situation chances are that sled would have ripped right through it.

Here is a tip. Don't Panic!

Regardless of the sled, most of them will skip over water for a short distance and a lot of them will run on water all day. Just make sure not to panic and let go of the throttle. There is a sweet spot speed/rpm wise and if you find it you can usually ride it out for a while on water.

A stock Nytro enjoying it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfkO1HlI0zM

I never said I would do it - lol. But if you find yourself in that unfortunate situation the key is Don't Panic!

+1 with WaveMaker. Anybody who rides on or around water should know and even practice this.

I've seen guys drop onto open rivers with 3 ft of water and 1 to 2 foot rocks and cross them with no issues by literally bouncing off the water after dropping 5 ft off the river bank. This was done out of necessity first but when the first guy said he had done it before we all followed and it worked like a charm.

In my opinion one has to be nuts to ride on water without knowing this can be easily done.

there is vid somewhere that a nytro skips water for 7 min. goes past a boat and races it. i just cant find it now.

I agree, you should know how to do it incase the situation arises.. lots of swamp, rivers, and lakes where I ride.

I would not do it on "purpose" but once on an early ride looked up saw open lake water, knew there was not room enough to turn or stop so I pegged it and went maybe 75 yards -so smooth and quiet - back on to the Ice and relaxed. So yes I know can be done but I prefer not me.

if it is on an ofsc trail you should go after the club for opening the trail before it is safe to travel on. In the area area we ride they dont open till water is frozen safe or there is a bypass

Yeah, I,ve been riding across lakes and rivers for about 15 years, its a rush. Excellent traction on water. A few years back, I launched off a 10' river bank in the UP, landed about half way out in the river and rode over the opposite river bank (showing off). Slush like this picture is the worst.

Back