• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane Apex 2011/2018 172HP Upgrade Kit

Man, you guys are making me feel bad!
I don't want to argue with what anyone is saying or "claiming" but, maybe somebody can fill me in on how a stock sled that's supposed to be in the 150hp range bone stock, can gain that kinda hp with a fuel controller and ignition box. I wanna SEE those dyno sheets.
Now I've seen a number of Apex's of both gens dyno sheets from DTR, they were ALL in the low 150hp range bone stock. Even when Aaron Excell was testing his single outlet exhaust he only gained about 1.5 hp up top, and a bit more in the middle.
I've had my sled on Jim's dyno twice now. Did tuning make a difference in output? Absolutely, but your talking a few hp from stock fuel and timing.
Another point:I know Jim test lots of sleds so, his recollection of what's been on his dyno and what the output of all these were may all get lost in the mix. But, he told me that mine was one of the 2 best "stockish" Apex's he'd tested. The other being a guy from Woody's Studs. Possibly the owner. I don't know for sure.
Want to make me a believer, post your dyno sheets. I've posted mine!

Man, you guys are making me feel bad!
I don't want to argue with what anyone is saying or "claiming" but, maybe somebody can fill me in on how a stock sled that's supposed to be in the 150hp range bone stock, can gain that kinda hp with a fuel controller and ignition box. I wanna SEE those dyno sheets.
Now I've seen a number of Apex's of both gens dyno sheets from DTR, they were ALL in the low 150hp range bone stock. Even when Aaron Excell was testing his single outlet exhaust he only gained about 1.5 hp up top, and a bit more in the middle.
I've had my sled on Jim's dyno twice now. Did tuning make a difference in output? Absolutely, but your talking a few hp from stock fuel and timing.
Another point:I know Jim test lots of sleds so, his recollection of what's been on his dyno and what the output of all these were may all get lost in the mix. But, he told me that mine was one of the 2 best "stockish" Apex's he'd tested. The other being a guy from Woody's Studs. Possibly the owner. I don't know for sure.
Want to make me a believer, post your dyno sheets. I've posted mine!
I didn't renew my DT subscription, but the one I'm talking about from D&D is available to subscribers. I don't want to post exact numbers, because Jim doesn't like that, but I've given pretty close ballpark numbers.
It is surprising how much difference the right jetting/mapping can make.

I too was a paid subscriber to DTR's tech pages. And I don't recall EVER seeing a N/A Apex run that surpassed 160hp.
Now I acknowledge that Jim doesn't put every sled that he tests on his website. Mine isn't on there. BUT I do have my sheets (proof) that I had my machine there and what it made.
I want to see the PROOF of others claims!
Even the 2012 test mule that had a pcV, Bender can and Yamacharger only made 170hp. I can post that too.
I've talked to Jim about posting data from his website. He said that as long as it doesn't get out of hand and things don't start getting posted in their entirety, that he's OK with it.
As for my data, I paid for it so I can post it all I want as long as it isn't misrepresented.

It was there. I read it many times. Forget the date, but I would guess back in 2012 or so.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Is the Hurricane Kit worth the upgrade?
I suppose we did get a bit off topic didn't we.
My apologies to the OP!

I ran the hurricane 180 kit on my 2011, and it ran great, way more bottom and midrange and better on top too, had to add studs to my ice attack to hook on bottom and ran steeper helix and heavier weights which prove that it was making power, usually around 65 gr on stock apex with heel clickers, with kit ended up at 71 gr on stm with steeper helix, loved mine

Back