• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

If I go through one more set of sliders I swear......

i would suggest tossing the ProAction like I did.
I got 100miles out of a set of hyfax last year and thats when I knew I was done with it.
since changing rear skids and stretching to 144 with tipped up rail extensions I did notice that it wears most where the rear axle used to be.

good luck!

sherlock29 said:
Grimm..... did you grind the aluminum sleeve that fits inside the inner race??? Last time i had this apart i was looking real close at this but the wheel width of the kimpex wheels i had were wider that the stockers and was having some issues with them rubbing the track lugs... what wheels did you use and with what bearings???

And i didnt know the vector came with a Proaction rear skid??? thought it was always the mono??

It didn't come with a proACTION(noaction)..it came with a proACTIVE.Proaction was on the 03-04 RX1's. The proactive was used on the early vectors and '07(+up)Apex RTX. The proactive is an excellent skid once you replace/revalve the shocks. I had an 05 vector er,sold it,got an 06 Apex, sold it and bought an 07 Apex RTX because it had a proACTIVE skid WITH that wonderful motor!! Just make sure you do the shocks! ...Dan

Thanks for the clarity... proACTIVE.. Proaction... i know what i have hehe...

Yes agreed... shocks.. had mine done this past fall... still would like to find bigger wheels that i can put on the inner wheels...

cheers..

LazyBastard said:
morg said:
I'm not sure how running it tight will create less friction.
Because the track stays straight rather than shaking around like an idiot. Loose track also slows you down and increases fuel consumption.

Seriously??? Put your sled on a stand. Loosen the track and fire it up. Look track turns at idle...less friction, less rolling resistance. Turn it off and tighten the track. Start and observe the track does not turn. More friction=more wear=less speed=less fuel consuption. This just seems like common sense to me. :Rockon: A tight track has the same affect as riding with the e break on. (not that I've ever done that) ;)!

hayastusa said:
The hyfax on my attak wore down to the wear line in a couple of hundred miles. I kept replacing them $20 no big deal. Fianally last season when they looked like they were wore out, I said f&^% it, I'm leaving them on. I ran them a full season and they are the same as they were 1500 miles ago. I'm gonna replace them in the off season just cause I got new ones lyin around. Point is RELAX, they wear like crazy the first couple hundred miles and then they stop. At least that's what I've found. :jump:

I should follow this statement up. Once I realized this I got complacent and neglected to check for wear on a regular basis. End of the season when I went to replace they, they were wore clear through and the skid was wore down as well. :o| Since then I added extroverts and loosened the track...wear is acceptable.

Loose track could cause a 'wave' at higher speeds creating a wear point where the track comes back to make contact. A tight track does make for more friction but more so at the front curve of the slides. Friction on the bottom side will only increase with weight, not tension. I was also told by a Comoplast rep that some Yamahas don't work well with fully clipped tracks. Lots of pieces to the puzzle.

I have the mono shock suspension (Atack)and I have over 10,000 km's with the original sliders. I was going to change them this fall but decided to go another season. I know some other riders with Apex's that have gone through 3 sets. I believe the sliders initially wear down quite a bit but after that they don't wear much at all. I do ride in good snow conditions with mostly groomed trail riding.

sherlock29 said:
the trick that needs to be done, if somebody can find a 5.35" wheel with a 6005 bearing... its the answer... i have been searching and NO after market company makes them.... people have put bigger wheel on the outside but the your 2 inside wheels done touch and the force of your front shock ends up bending your cross shaft for the shock and wheels... (tryed this)...

I got the Kimpex 04-116-96S center wheels. They are larger than the Yamaha stock wheels and seem to run well with the Poo wheels on the outside. I also installed Kimpex wheels in the back (Kimpex lists them as the actual replacement for this skid) which are larger than stock. Slide wear is much improved

Brad

Unlike others, I've had nothing but bad luck with slider wear on my 136 ZX-2 suspension so for me, the grass wasn't greener changing the skid out as far as slider wear goes. I have about 14,000 kms on my ZX-2 suspension and now practically own shares in kimpex lol.

Dan

ducky said:
I have the mono shock suspension (Atack)and I have over 10,000 km's with the original sliders. I was going to change them this fall but decided to go another season. I know some other riders with Apex's that have gone through 3 sets. I believe the sliders initially wear down quite a bit but after that they don't wear much at all. I do ride in good snow conditions with mostly groomed trail riding.

This is absolutely 100% impossible. :drink: Either the hyfax changing fairy breaks into you garage and changes them out for you, or your mother is handy with tools. It doesn't even matter if you're telling the truth, no apex owner with a mind could possibly buy that. :tg:

Well what the heck I might as well throw in what has worked for me , 07apex rtx RRO-ACTIVE skid , first miles put on the sled the hyfax wear was bad ,all in ideal snow conditions. So I put on a set (small) OEM yamaha wheels at the front rail bend and then added a set of SLP's wear pads ( large round flat headed pads that bolt threw the track to act like a fully cliped track) ........ 40000 miles on next set of hyfax and no need to change. I think the every third window type tracks make heat (rubber in contact with hyfax ) this I feel to be true as i could see and smell rubber marks an the hyfax before the add on's. No larger wheels, tight track, loose track, high dollar slides ect.
Rich.

hayastusa said:
ducky said:

This is absolutely 100% impossible. :drink: Either the hyfax changing fairy breaks into you garage and changes them out for you, or your mother is handy with tools. It doesn't even matter if you're telling the truth, no apex owner with a mind could possibly buy that. :tg:

Never say never! ha ha ha....

I believe it is possible to get 10,000 miles out of a set of hyfax. Ride in great conditions primarily, use extra wheels and bigger wheels, use scratchers. I do not think it is out of the question. I honestly don't know how some TY'ers can go through hyfax as quickly as they do!!!!

Back