• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Intermittent starting issues on 2017 Winder

Agree - especially since stock "filtration" leaves allot to be desired. I.e. it's not very good.
Should be a filter 10 micron on all these new from factory. Even a better "sock" on the pump would be nice. The way gas is these days

I've heard about removing the injectors for proper cleaning and testing. So may I ask What is the nominal price for cleaning and testing a set of 3, 998 Fuel Injectors? Just now, a one time search for new shows $128 for a set of 3 injectors, and each O ring is $19 !
The $128 sounds about right. You can get a bag of o-rings from Summit or Jef or a decent auto parts store for much less than that.

Should be a filter 10 micron on all these new from factory. Even a better "sock" on the pump would be nice. The way gas is these days
Agree completely. Ethanol gas is made w corn stalks. It's dirty gas.

I have had tight valves on one of my Attaks in the past at 12k miles but issue then was it would die after getting off the throttle when coming to a stop. It would start right up and run perfect tho. Troy at Donahue adjusted them and it runs great ever since . The winder has been a problem child all around since purchase with 10k miles on it . If it was not for Donahue and this site it would of been given up upon long ago . I have no issue with normal maintenance but what kills me is getting pulled out of the woods by my buddies 10 year old Ski-doo 2 years in a row. Thanks again !

The $128 sounds about right. You can get a bag of o-rings from Summit or Jef or a decent auto parts store for much less than that.
So are we saying it’s just as cost effective to buy new? I know you have talked about having injectors cleaned & tested, so That’s why I’m asking! Thanks for your many insights on the 998 Turboflash!

Hard starting ,long cranking on my Sidewinder. Starts normal sometime other just cranks and nothing . Fresh fuel, new plugs , new battery new starter so far . Any ideas where to go from here besides the dealer ? Always run up to temp when it does start ,and runs normal after start-up. Help Please!!
Is this a new problem, or has it always done this?

So are we saying it’s just as cost effective to buy new? I know you have talked about having injectors cleaned & tested, so That’s why I’m asking! Thanks for your many insights on the 998 Turboflash!
Fuel injectors are about $110 each. I get all 3 injectors cleaned and flowed for about $130 total.

Fuel injectors are about $110 each. I get all 3 injectors cleaned and flowed for about $130 total.
OK thanks for that bit of info!
I looked online and it had said $128 for Quantaty 3, but once I added item for Checkout, it was X 3 !

So again thanks for your input and catching my Mistake on pricing. Well worth looking in to a business that cleans & flow tests, instead of simply buying NEW! What type business does this non diesel injector cleaning ? If you don’t mind my asking!

The reason I am asking questions pertaining to hard start issues is, I’ve been there twice with a really great dealership under warranty, and they took care of it twice, but really was no specific determination as to why it did what it did!

In case this helps anyone, I’ll quickly write about my hard starting problem and what was done.

First time was at the beginning of the second season (I think), sled just started hard all the time. Took it in and they swapped out the whole fuel rail including the Fuel Regulator with a new sled that was in their showroom, for an expedient repair. Afterwards, sled started as good as usual. At that point after I was convinced it was fixed, dealer added a power package with a mild TD tune. It ran good for one season with the EcoTrail tune.

Next time the hard starting problem was different, whereas it wouldn’t start in COLD weather without giving it throttle, and would stall immediately if I let up off throttle. This would last 15 - 20 minutes if starting from trailer and unloading and just riding, then after a while it would idle perfectly without any throttle needed. This took the dealer weeks to diagnose or even see what I was referring to when I said “Won’t start in cold without throttle”, whereas once I dropped it off, we had a warm spell, so every time the dealer tried to start it, it started fine! After a few weeks they told me to come pick it up and we found nothing wrong, it starts fine every time. Ha Ha, wouldn’t you know, that on my pick up day the weather changed drastically for cold temps! Arrived at dealer and it wouldn’t start, so I got the lead tech to come out and start it for me! He couldn’t believe it whereas they had been routinely starting this sled very day. At that point he said he had never seen or heard of a problem like this on the 998, and because of the prior starting problem, he called it a LEMON. They had it for another full week, and when I finally went in to pick it up, and as I asked the Service Manager, who was the guy who put in for warranty from Yamaha, what they found, he put his head down and covered his face with his hands, and showed me the list of changed out components, and said, “I don’t know how to put in for so much on one machine! I was told no receipt comes with it because it was all warranty! Loved that 5 year warranty! As I remember, the list of components was long! Fuel pressure regulator, 1 injector, TPS, spark plugs and many other things were Changed and or just swapped out, including the updated fuel line connector/fitting that mounted on top of the fuel tank! Sure wish I would have at least taken a pic of the long list, because it had 8-10 items on it!

Let me just say that it has been resolved, but most of the 998’s that I know of, do not start every time like the fuel injected Vectors or Apex!

The reason I am asking questions pertaining to hard start issues is, I’ve been there twice with a really great dealership under warranty, and they took care of it twice, but really was no specific determination as to why it did what it did!

In case this helps anyone, I’ll quickly write about my hard starting problem and what was done.

First time was at the beginning of the second season (I think), sled just started hard all the time. Took it in and they swapped out the whole fuel rail including the Fuel Regulator with a new sled that was in their showroom, for an expedient repair. Afterwards, sled started as good as usual. At that point after I was convinced it was fixed, dealer added a power package with a mild TD tune. It ran good for one season with the EcoTrail tune.

Next time the hard starting problem was different, whereas it wouldn’t start in COLD weather without giving it throttle, and would stall immediately if I let up off throttle. This would last 15 - 20 minutes if starting from trailer and unloading and just riding, then after a while it would idle perfectly without any throttle needed. This took the dealer weeks to diagnose or even see what I was referring to when I said “Won’t start in cold without throttle”, whereas once I dropped it off, we had a warm spell, so every time the dealer tried to start it, it started fine! After a few weeks they told me to come pick it up and we found nothing wrong, it starts fine every time. Ha Ha, wouldn’t you know, that on my pick up day the weather changed drastically for cold temps! Arrived at dealer and it wouldn’t start, so I got the lead tech to come out and start it for me! He couldn’t believe it whereas they had been routinely starting this sled very day. At that point he said he had never seen or heard of a problem like this on the 998, and because of the prior starting problem, he called it a LEMON. They had it for another full week, and when I finally went in to pick it up, and as I asked the Service Manager, who was the guy who put in for warranty from Yamaha, what they found, he put his head down and covered his face with his hands, and showed me the list of changed out components, and said, “I don’t know how to put in for so much on one machine! I was told no receipt comes with it because it was all warranty! Loved that 5 year warranty! As I remember, the list of components was long! Fuel pressure regulator, 1 injector, TPS, spark plugs and many other things were Changed and or just swapped out, including the updated fuel line connector/fitting that mounted on top of the fuel tank! Sure wish I would have at least taken a pic of the long list, because it had 8-10 items on it!

Let me just say that it has been resolved, but most of the 998’s that I know of, do not start every time like the fuel injected Vectors or Apex!
I hear ya and agree .No start last weekend ,but this week every night fired right up. Go figure that out ???

Idle air control valve is located in the throttle body assembly. Stepper motor design.
It gets its idle air from a hose that comes off the plastic intake manifold before the throttle bodies.
If a roll over valve delete was not done then moisture and oil can be pushed into the intake system.
I would start by removing this valve and cleaning it and the hose.
Don't forget to check fuel pressure also.
Good luck.

OK thanks for that bit of info!
I looked online and it had said $128 for Quantaty 3, but once I added item for Checkout, it was X 3 !

So again thanks for your input and catching my Mistake on pricing. Well worth looking in to a business that cleans & flow tests, instead of simply buying NEW! What type business does this non diesel injector cleaning ? If you don’t mind my asking!
Here's 1 I've used and there are a few more in MN.

Back