• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

It’s finally over for Yamaha

Hey guys! Hope is the last to die... There may be a chance ;)

"Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. today announces plans for an eventual withdrawal of the snowmobile business."

Screenshot 2023-06-29 092336.png

"Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. today announces plans for an eventual withdrawal of the snowmobile business."

View attachment 172952

When you are managing product line lifecycles you have two different dates involved. EOS (end of sale) and EOL (end of life). EOS (last time buy from a consumer perspective) is what Yamaha is announcing, that you will be able to buy through the end of the 2025 model year which to me means from 2024 when the 2025s are announced to end of production which they will likely announce at some point in 2025. That is a model year, the date from order taking to last one built. The 'Eventual' part comes in for EOL (end of life) which is the final wrap up of all parts, contracts, etc which is a much looser date and has not been announced. The gating factors for EOL are the contracts they are committed to which could range from the last warranty date (the 1 or 2 years from the last sled sold) through the extended warranty dates, and any lingering contracts to Cat will have the same commitment evaluation. Then there is the issue of the remaining parts inventory which I hope they sell to someone as companies never use all of their remaining warranty stock before they announce EOL.

Screenshot_20230629-084621-498.png

When I worked in a plant as a "big three" supplier, EOL was the life of the contract plus 10yrs. We were contracted to supply support parts 10 yrs after the contract was up. If it's the same, and YAMAHA ends all contracts in '25, we should have parts supply until '35. Hopefully.

I’m curious what sales will be like. When evinrude gave up their sales went poor. Tough to sell something that won’t exist after you walk away with it.

When I worked in a plant as a "big three" supplier, EOL was the life of the contract plus 10yrs. We were contracted to supply support parts 10 yrs after the contract was up. If it's the same, and YAMAHA ends all contracts in '25, we should have parts supply until '35. Hopefully.

Sounds like the company you worked for had EOL and End of Support. That isn't uncommon but it all comes down to their contracted commitments.

I’m curious what sales will be like. When evinrude gave up their sales went poor. Tough to sell something that won’t exist after you walk away with it.

Cat is in the hot seat here. They are not exiting the business and rely on Yamaha power for the thundercat and even the cat diehards I have spoken with on the trail admit that its the yamaha power that got them to buy thundercat. (want the motor, but wrapped in green). Cat has not made any announcements about their 4stroke roadmap and probably won't until next year but they need to make a commitment one way (yamaha) or another (new cat 4s powerplant). Without a clear commitment they risk alienating some portion of all potential buyers (cat and yamaha 4s faithful) to doo who have the only other viable 4s engine.

Cat is in the hot seat here. They are not exiting the business and rely on Yamaha power for the thundercat and even the cat diehards I have spoken with on the trail admit that its the yamaha power that got them to buy thundercat. (want the motor, but wrapped in green). Cat has not made any announcements about their 4stroke roadmap and probably won't until next year but they need to make a commitment one way (yamaha) or another (new cat 4s powerplant). Without a clear commitment they risk alienating some portion of all potential buyers (cat and yamaha 4s faithful) to doo who have the only other viable 4s engine.
I wouldn’t call it a hot seat. Simple for AC continue the procross and the Thundercat in multiple flavors or discontinue.

I wouldn’t call it a hot seat. Simple for AC continue the procross and the Thundercat in multiple flavors or discontinue.
I'm sure the Procross is done for. That's why Yamaha isn't making sleds after 2025. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if AC gives up on 4 stroke sleds. They are investing in their own 2 stroke sled engines. I'm curious what their 800+ class engine is going to be.

Not sure why all the sad faces, my god Yamaha hasn't made a pure Yamaha sled sense 2018 with the Apex being discontinued, few utility and touring sleds after that, CAT, YES CAT has been making the sleds sense 2014, the joke has been revealed, your blue Sidewinder is....a CAT, Yamaha is a motor company, the 998T is not going away any time soon, the question is what will it end up in, wonder where Jaret will be moved to, or where he's going, He may surprise or even shock you all.
Tell us something we don't know

Well it sounds like if Cat wants the engines Yamaha will still supply them. How that looks after 2025 is anyone’s guess, but it wouldn’t shock me to see Cat offer Thundercats, 9000 and 7000 series sleds after 2025. I mean there will definitely be a market for people that still want these (or similar) engines,View attachment 172949
There will.come a point where cat has to decide whether to use Weber to make a new engine and get certified with the EPA or shoe horn in the 998 to the catalyst.

If cat goes with Weber it will most likely be a twin that they can use in their dirt line and that will limit cc's when they go turbo, likely a 900, in order for it to be considered a class 2 sxs. They count the turbo as CC. It's one reason the 998 with turbo isn't factory with the yxz.

I've heard from good sources Yamaha will not be supplying Cat after 2025.

Back