• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

jackshaft bearing issuses

03yammiman

I have a 03 RX1 with 6000 miles on her and the jackshaft bearigs where never done. I think there is 3 bearings total. Should I wait till they go completely, or just get them replaced now. I need help in this area. I am not very engin minded.

Replace them now. If you wait till they go it will cause damage to the housing. Just happened to a friend last season.

Just a quick question on this fix. I've done them on a Cat, are they the same. I mean, pretty much.

there is an up-date for the 03 rx1's if yours does not have it. i know there is a step by step either in the tec section or the rx1 section. search should be able to bring it up for you.

No, but I would recommend cleaning and regreasing the bearing behind the secondary clutch.

abj87 - would you mind write in your location in your userprofile, as it's a site requirement that you do so. You'll find the link to your Profile on top of the page.

Thanks

rxrider
TY Management

Yes, what rxrider says. You can carefully place a small flat head screwdriver between the bearing seal and the outer race and pop the seal off. You can then check your bearings for rust, and clean or regrease them. You can also do this for the driveshaft bearing once you remove the support plate and speedo sensor, since you have the secondary clutch off anyhow. This was a great tip from someone on this site, my bearings appear good and I have 6000 and 8000 miles on my sleds. I usually grease them midway through the season again since it's so easy to do. Just use a very high quality grease that resists washout and has anti-corrosion properties (possibly marine grade) not the low temperature stuff you pump into your suspension.

Bearings getten done

Thank you guys for all your input. I actually took my sled to the dealer and they are replacing them for me. Now I don't have to worry about it. Not to expensive either.

New to TY and I just want to thank all you guys out there with some great info! I have 6500 on my 04 RX1 and it will be going in next week for the bearings. Can you folks think of anything else that I should have checked out? I had just replaced all the front end bushings and two boogie wheels.

Great link

I tore into mine over the weekend. Only getting as far as the chaincase side nut. I didn't have anything with me that was capable of taking that off. Can anyone verify that nut being a 36mm? & how deep of a deep socket will I need to retorque it? Is there anything else I should plan on having for the rest off the job? The sled lives 300 miles north of me so I'm trying to make sure I'm equipped next time.

Has anyone ever run into this? The inner race on the clutch side bearing is cracked.

Mine is an 05 rxER

Attachments

• Sled bearing.jpg
    Sled bearing.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 201

Back