• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Key on, but nothing happens

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha Viper STX-DX 146
2021 Vk 540
Went to start my viper yesterday, engine temp -9f, which is borderline for my machine to start but i needed to go look for moose. It started for a second then died, so i tried again, started for a sec then died, then i tried it a third time and the screen came on and was flashing. When i turned it off the dashboard still would turn off. Eventually it did, and now when i turn the key on nothing happens at all. I had a battery tender hooked up at the time of starting. The battery tender is on it now and says the battery is good. I also unscrewed the battery and screwed it back in hoping it would “restart” the system, but still nothing happens. Its -15f today but its supposed to warm up to -2 tomorrow which should be doable starting temperature.

Does your fuel pump come on with the key? If not your relays may be frozen.

I would pull them and warm them up in your pocket or something unless you have a way to warm things up in there like a hair dryer or heat gun. Have to start eliminating possibility's in order to move forward with troubleshooting.

I would pull them and warm them up in your pocket or something unless you have a way to warm things up in there like a hair dryer or heat gun. Have to start eliminating possibility's in order to move forward with troubleshooting.
Sounds like a plan, can you remind me, are the relays on the front left and need to remove the hood?

Solid state??? I'm not aware of solid state replacements. Do you have a part number or Vendor that you purchased the replacements from?

Last edited:
Ill pull them later today, we've got -40 wind chills right now, it is possible that I'm confusing these relays with the ones i replaced on my nytro too.

If you take the hood screws out you can just pull the hood forward and move it over a little. No need to disconnect the cable or anything.

I
Try these as a replacement: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-S...564057?hash=item41ff3566d9:g:0cEAAOSwxXJctpmH

Rocztoyz also sells a sealed replacement relay that should be better than stock: http://yamaheater.
If you take the hood screws out you can just pull the hood forward and move it over a little. No need to disconnect the cable or anything.
Got them off. One of the prongs has a white powdery substance at the base of the prong.
image.jpg

Probably some corrosion. Were you able to get it started yet.

Back