• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Limited travel rear suspension

x2thez

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX
2009 Yamaha Vector LTX
1987 Yamaha Bravo
So went out for the first time this year and on new flash everything was great. Second day though the trails got a little bumpy and it seemed like my rear suspension travel was limited on the larger bumps. I stopped and pushed down on the back and seemed to move ok for about 75%of the travel and then would stop, long before hitting bumpstops. My buddy is on a 16 viper and pushed down on his and it was not the same, we could push it down withojt that stopping. The shock in mine is the stock one rebuolt freshly this year by Steve. It almost seems like either it's a problem with the shock, even though it's not running thru the whole stroke, or that it is hitting the transfer blocks and stopping. Any thoughts?

Anyone?? In doing some reading it seems that when the rear arm hits the transfer blocks the suspension then becomes near impossbile to move fuether. When riding it, it feels like bottoming and is harsh but I really don't think it is bottoming

Are you sure the linkage isn't flipped? If not sure sounds like a shock issue or torsions just need to be tighter. Level ground no dollies you should be able to sit on it and scissor should be in middle of blocks. Call me tomorrow.

Here is a link to a video that I created, when it would contact the transfer block the suspension would stop. I did find that if I get on the rear bumper and basically bounce down by standing on it, I can get it go to past, but it is not smooth. My buddy has a 16 Viper LTX lE and his goes right down, buttery smooth.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1REJGmk546yz3Ttg6

Ok something is seriously wrong there. Is the link flipped? Do not ride it like that. That’s more than a shock issue. Take a pic of link where bottom of rear shock is attached.

I dont think that it is, the bottom of the shock is between the idler wheels. I will take some more pictures when I get home, unless I can talk the wife into it. But when we were comparing on the trail to my buddys 16 they looked identical upon inspection

I dont think that it is, the bottom of the shock is between the idler wheels. I will take some more pictures when I get home, unless I can talk the wife into it. But when we were comparing on the trail to my buddys 16 they looked identical upon inspection
Something is wrong. Can you pick it up at bumper and make scissor hit top out stops?

Yes if I pick up it stops and sits at normal height.

I didnt think it was the shock either, but I will get some pics of it tonight when I get home as I need to thaw it out from my ride yesterday.

Make sure your sled is on a flat surface and no wheels or dolly’s

Make sure your sled is on a flat surface and no wheels or dolly’s
So after working with Steve last night (thank you steve) I found that there is no issue with the shock or mounting. I also am aware that it should return to full height when off the dolly. My inital concern, and after thinking about it may be moot. Was that when the sled is on flat surface if I push down on the back bumper, it will go until the scissor contacts the transfer blocks. Am i correct in assuming this is normal?

The reason I ask is because while taking a brake on the trail I noticed that my buddies 16 ltx le that when you pushed his down, it did not stop in that location. In thinking about it, I am not sure it was on level ground, and perhaps the front of the skid was pushed in slightly and may allow the travel then?

Back