• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Marginal snow wheel kits reducing track howl?

acpantera

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
22 TCAT+ATAC+EPS
Does any one know if the low sno wheel kit(s)help in reducing the noise. I was ck'n out where the track clips hit the slides and I was wondering if putting one or two wheels(on each side of coarse)near the front of the rails would make a differance.

I was first thinking like you that the track howl come from the clips that were hitting the front of the rails.... :idea: but this is not the case. :?

I pass from a track clipped every thirt hole to fully clipped and it changed about nothing to the howling. Not better or worse... :ORC

The thing that affect the more the howling is the hifax wear, the more they are wear the more the track howl. It seems to be the wheels as the get more pressure from the hifax wear that develop the noise. :roll:

So adding a set of wheel can make the howling worse...but in fact, if these wheel save your hifax from wearing, it will help reducing the noise ;)!

Bye
Alain

I disagree.I have a Fast M-10 rear suspension in my rage and the track howl is awfull.It has 1300 miles with very little hyfax wear!

I think much of the track noise we hear is a result of the sleds being so quiet to begin with. We are not accustomed to not hearing the engine and subsequently we hear all the things we never used to. :4STroke: :yam:

Shane said:
I think much of the track noise we hear is a result of the sleds being so quiet to begin with. We are not accustomed to not hearing the engine and subsequently we hear all the things we never used to. :4STroke: :yam:

You could be very correct on that statement. Now where is Lazybastard to fill in his engineering ideas on track howl?

Shane said:

No I dont think so! The wifes 05 rx-1 shorty gives us both a headache when either of us ride for a couple hours on it. Yet my 04 rx-1 mountain does not give us a headache so that theory is out the window.

[quote="Sled Dog]No I dont think so! The wifes 05 rx-1 shorty gives us both a headache when either of us ride for a couple hours on it. Yet my 04 rx-1 mountain does not give us a headache so that theory is out the window.[/quote]

If you are riding in deep powder the sled is sunk enough and has more snow in the track to dampen the noise on the mountain. Unless you are riding your mountain sled on the trail, then it should be louder. The neighbor put a paddle track on a Viper and it got louder on the trail. Oh well, there is nothing that I can do about it, so I'll just ride it.

so.........nobody has put marginal snow wheels on the front/ rear or maybe both ends of the skid?? does the mono shock sled make track noise?

i have 1 kit on the rear of my RSventure because the wear is more severe there (26'' without wheels). Make no difference on the noise when i put it (my hifax were almost new) and perhaps a little bit worse when the hi-fax were wear but hard to tell.... not better for sure.

Alain

What if a much larger diameter wheel could be used - this way the wheel would be less likely to dip between the lugs.

You'd have to change the mounting height of course. I don't have my sled handy, is there enough height on the rail or clearance to do something like this?

It's amazing the number of things people have tried without improvement...

I would think if you want to eliminate the bottom wheel theory (inside rail wheels) just pull them out and go for a 1 minute ride, you should know instantly. If this is the case couldn't we re-position them further inside past the holes? I'm thinking a shaft that goes all the way across from rail to rail with wheels mounted further in. This would require a machine shop but if its that big of a problem it would be worth the jingee!
Just my .02

acpantera said:
so.........nobody has put marginal snow wheels on the front/ rear or maybe both ends of the skid?? does the mono shock sled make track noise?

Yes mine sure does it howls and gives earaches after riding it for awhile!

impalapower said:
Shane said:

You could be very correct on that statement. Now where is Lazybastard to fill in his engineering ideas on track howl?

Its an interesting phenomena. The fact that RS sleds seem to howl, but RX's don't. The logical first thought is that it might be related to the different suspension that RS's are equipped with, however that theory falls apart when you see that even with a different suspension (m10), that the difference remains.

This leaves a couple of ideas; Track clips snagging on the TIPS of the rails, DRIVERS, or that it is not at all related to the track.

The driver theory doesn't hold, since RS and RX have the same drivers. That leaves the clip snag theory and the unrelated theory.

I note with my RX that (before, when I had a stock suspension), there would be a loud nasty noise when it was spun on a stand.

Yamaha has always set the limiters very loose from factory. I would try pulling them in a bunch to see if that quietens it down.

BTW: Unrelated includes accoustics from exhaust - maybe a strange resonance. Fact is I've never examined an RS, so my ideas are just that... ideas.

Ours is a RX and it is weird when the sound of the engine and the sound of the track seem to harmonize at certain speeds. This is also when it seems the loudest.

Back