• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Marginal Snow Wheel Mounting

Boomer

Expert
Where are people mounting the Marginal snow wheel kit on their sleds. I bought the kit when I had an 08 Vector and mounted them per the instructions, which is next to the rubber block on the rails. I had plenty of people ask why I mounted them there vs up front on the rail bend? So now I have an 07 Apex GT and bought the wheels again and the instructions say to mount next to the rubber block again.

What is the best place to mount these things? Pro and Cons of each location. Why does Yamaha say one thing and other people say the other?

I have mine up against the backside of the rubber stop as shown in the attached pictures.

As you can also see in the pictures, you would not want to be farther back and the front side of the block is too far forward.

Therefore I believe that where I mounted mine is the best possible position IMO.

Attachments

• DSC01014.JPG
    DSC01014.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01015.JPG
    DSC01015.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 113
Regardless of where they're installed, they're worthless. They don't offer enough downward deflection. They also freeze up and stop spinning. I had two of them disappear after having used red loctite. Save your money and go with larger ildler wheels.

jf

Mine have helped with premature slide wear at the front of the rail. I did however loose one initially as well but not since I remounted them using red Loctite.

I have about 5K miles on mine and they do require more frequent bearing replacement than the larger wheels because they spin at a much higher RPM.

ecopter said:
Regardless of where they're installed, they're worthless. They don't offer enough downward deflection. They also freeze up and stop spinning. I had two of them disappear after having used red loctite. Save your money and go with larger ildler wheels.

jf

I second that, I cannot tell you how many of those I broke off, froze bearings on or just chunked. I spent more on them than just replacing hyfax.

Yamadog said:
ecopter said:

jf

I second that, I cannot tell you how many of those I broke off, froze bearings on or just chunked. I spent more on them than just replacing hyfax.

Mine worked great last year, I never lost one and only used Blue Loctite.

I did regrease the bearings this year and only the left side one showed signs of needing some.
Strongly considering getting another set for th rear of the sled.
(I did purchase the Yamaha ones, you guy as well or did you go aftermarket?)

Well when I took my slides off, I can plainly match the worn areas to be center of open ares between wheel contact. I am sure the wheels are stressing the rails. I put a lot of miles on an SX700 with larger Kimpex wheels but am not going that way with the Attak. Slides = cheaper than rails and not very hard to replace. They pretty much wear to close to the line and stay that way for a long time.

Back