• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mid Summer Start During Storage?

APEXMTSEO7

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 Apex MTX
Prepping my Apex for storage this spring I put in fresh 91 ethanol fee gas treated with Yamaha fuel stabilizer and Ring Free Plus.Sled is stored in a cool dry garage.
Wondering if it is a good idea to start sled to a complete warm up once half through the summer to put fresh stabilizer through injectors?Or am I risking fouling plugs?should I just leave sled dormant till the riding season?Opinions please Thanks guys.

I start mine at least every 3 months and let it run until both heat exchangers under the foot wells are good and hot. others do not if it is fuel injected it don't have to have fuel circulated it will do that every time you turn on the key and I will turn the key on and off a few times before I start it as well and let the pump run through its cycle each time. I think it is good to keep the motor running at a minimum helps keep things lubed up in the motor and such. be sure you let it run for a good while my apex can go as long as 15 mins on a not so hot day before it is fully warmed up

I start both my Apex & Sidewinder every week. It helps charge the battery, lubes all the internals, massages all the gaskets & cycles gas through... Plus, i get to pretend i'm on a big fat trail at 7 am when the trails are hard & that first long straightaway is begging me to challenge my manhood until my heart starts racing....then i realize it's 90 degrees outside & my son is seriously loosing respect for me as an adult

The last 11 years of owning Apex's I have never started them during summer storage.

Yes, once a month on all my powersports equipment. It's the only thing I do, never use battery tenders or stabil. This works well for me and I haven't had to replace a battery yet (originals in my 09' phazer, 07' Rancher 420) or had excessive moisture build up in the crank case during storage. That's my main concern with summer storage, with 30*+ temperature swings daily with higher humidity the engines build up moisture fairly quick.

The last 11 years of owning Apex's I have never started them during summer storage.
Agree the beauty of a Yamaha 4s store it and forget it til December then charge the battery and ride....never had a problem since 2007 and 2 Apex never changed a battery either.

I start both my Apex & Sidewinder every week. It helps charge the battery, lubes all the internals, massages all the gaskets & cycles gas through... Plus, i get to pretend i'm on a big fat trail at 7 am when the trails are hard & that first long straightaway is begging me to challenge my manhood until my heart starts racing....then i realize it's 90 degrees outside & my son is seriously loosing respect for me as an adult

I start mine every 2 months.
IMHO it doesn't charge the battery to speak of. [ Not enough RPM or time to do much]
I put on Battery tender every couple of months or so as well for a day

I use a battery tender, but with OCD in my avatar name, i'm just looking for an extra excuse to run it & dream of all my friends..........BEHIND ME!

Stabilize the fresh fuel within a couple days of the last ride and set up battery tenders. Don't start until the next season. We have been doing this since 2007 with 3 Yamaha 4-strokes every year......no problems.

Agree the beauty of a Yamaha 4s store it and forget it til December then charge the battery and ride....never had a problem since 2007 and 2 Apex never changed a battery either.
I don't forget about them, I think about them every day. All 3 are stored with tenders on all the time.

I actually suck all the gas out & put in Racing fuel or non-ethanol fuel for professional lawn mowers with Sea Foam. I hook up the Tenders then put them on lifts to take pressure off shocks. Then i cry as i play TAPS....then i go on Totally Yamaha to find new stuff to install, just to make sure my bank account doesn't get bloated. Then MrSled cries 'cuz he knows i'm gonna drive him crazy ALL summer....

I had my XTC for 13 years. It sat for a couple years while I received the Army World Tour. I ran it consistently its last two years of life before the seals went. the other two identical sleds my family owned outlasted it and are still running with nearly double the mileage. All maintenance was identical, all fuel was identical, they were stored together. The only difference is mine didn't run for a couple years except to move it out of the way on the trailer. From my experience, you should start your sled regularly to lube the seals and boil off the moisture. Our sleds are stored in our covered trailer, so they do experience more temperature extremes.

My habit is at least a monthly start and wait for the fan on my Viper and Vector to start. That is around 190 degrees. I also run the track to keep the clutches and everything else moving.

I also use a battery tender because of a bad battery. The smart charge cycle restored the battery and I am still using it.

all the sleds get started every 4-6 weeks and run up to full operating temp. stored on 4 channel geinius charger in enclosed trailer and the ones with estart on open trailer have a small solar pannel on them. all are stored with 91 octane and seafoam. only time i have had trouble with a sled is when this procedure has not been followed and it was a huge pain to get it sorted out and started with only a pull start.

Prepping my Apex for storage this spring I put in fresh 91 ethanol fee gas treated with Yamaha fuel stabilizer and Ring Free Plus.Sled is stored in a cool dry garage.
Wondering if it is a good idea to start sled to a complete warm up once half through the summer to put fresh stabilizer through injectors?Or am I risking fouling plugs?should I just leave sled dormant till the riding season?Opinions please Thanks guys.

As long as you warm it up properly I don't see that as a real problem but nothing warms a motor up like a good long trail ride. So sometimes I start it most times I don't. I did foul the plugs in my Warrior from starting it way to much waiting for my first ride. It coughed and sputtered for the first mile till it cleaned itself out. New sled I couldn't resist same as when I bought my 1000 triple piped Cat! Sweet sound!

Battery tender and premium fuel in the tank, maybe start it once in the summer just to hear it run and get the heart racing a bit! I don't think not running it all summer hurts anything, running it and not letting it get hot hurts a lot more, storing it outside under a tarp even more still. I store mine in the garage where temperature swings are greatly moderated along with condensation!

Start it up , get it up to temp with a few throttle pulls. I Start everything I have year round . Every couple weeks or 1 a week for me .Except marine engines in winter .... good to excersize the engine parts/ parts etc etc .

Always good . Some say it's uneccessary wear to do so, but it's also not good when whatever doesn't run or operate ...

Back