• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI turbo on viper. Issues

Im thinking during my last ride I lost oil somewhere some time considering I added a quart of oil to it last night

Tomkat700,
The ROV is primarily designed to keep oil from leaking out during a roll over event or laying it over on it's side to get unstuck, etc with the engine off. Additionally on Vipers the re-prime function aids in re-priming the oil pump as quickly as possible after the sled has been rolled or tipped over.

If it's burping oil out while it's running, I would check the oil level with it at operating temperature (cooling fan on). On Phazers we used run them towards the bottom of the acceptable range, so that they wouldn't burp oil out during deep high angle carving in powder!

How does it help it re- prime? I noticed that if the sled was stuck on its side or rolled over. Once it was placed back upright the oil light would not go out unless you leaned the sled to the left side and started it while on its side then the light would go out. If you didn't do that the oil tank oil level was right to the brim! And would not go down until you did this little trick we found. Any one else discover this? Happened too all three of me and my buddies riding.

How does it help it re- prime? I noticed that if the sled was stuck on its side or rolled over. Once it was placed back upright the oil light would not go out unless you leaned the sled to the left side and started it while on its side then the light would go out. If you didn't do that the oil tank oil level was right to the brim! And would not go down until you did this little trick we found. Any one else discover this? Happened too all three of me and my buddies riding.
Exact thing happened to me. I ended up cutting a water bottle and tipped it over to dump oil out and then dumped it back into the engine. Had to do two water bottles full and used a fuel can spout for a funnel

It uses air pressure generated from the running engine.

While the engine is running it is creating air flow out of the breather vent line. The pressure is due to several factors, but primarily from the pumping action of the pistons, a slight amount of normal blow by from the combustion process and oil pump scavenge rate.
The amount of breather air flow rate changes with RPM and engine load as well. At idle the flow rate is fairly low and as RPM/load increases so does the breather flow. A 5/8" diameter breather tube is used to make sure that there is enough flow capacity under all operating conditions.

During quick prime mode we use the ROV shut off valve to block the breather tube. This allows pressure to build in the oil tank and force feed the oil to the oil pump inlet port, which then re-primes the oil pump. For safety, we use the ROVCM to regulate the oil tank pressure to approx 8.5 psi. The ROVCM accomplishes this by regulating the voltage to the shut off valve. By controlling the voltage to the valve, it allows us to change the pressure release point of the ROV shut off valve.

When you tip your sled over on the left side to re-prime the pump, effectively what your doing is elevating the oil tank above the engine. Then gravity is used to feed oil to the oil pump inlet port.

Because the quick-prime system is using air pressure to re-prime, typically it will re-prime the pump much more quickly then gravity can alone. Usually the ROV system will re-prime the pump with in a couple of seconds!

Since quick-prime is using air pressure to re-prime, the sled does not necessarily have to be level for it to work. The sled can be pointed up hill, down hill, tipped to the right or left, it doesn't matter just as long as the sled is some what "rubber side" down and there is oil covering the oil pump suction port! This can be a real advantage for mountain riders who may be hung up on the side of a hill some where and need to quickly re-prime they're oil pump as fast as possible!;)!

Bill

While the engine is running it is creating air flow out of the breather vent line. The pressure is due to several factors, but primarily from the pumping action of the pistons, a slight amount of normal blow by from the combustion process and oil pump scavenge rate.
The amount of breather air flow rate changes with RPM and engine load as well. At idle the flow rate is fairly low and as RPM/load increases so does the breather flow. A 5/8" diameter breather tube is used to make sure that there is enough flow capacity under all operating conditions.

During quick prime mode we use the ROV shut off valve to block the breather tube. This allows pressure to build in the oil tank and force feed the oil to the oil pump inlet port, which then re-primes the oil pump. For safety, we use the ROVCM to regulate the oil tank pressure to approx 8.5 psi. The ROVCM accomplishes this by regulating the voltage to the shut off valve. By controlling the voltage to the valve, it allows us to change the pressure release point of the ROV shut off valve.

When you tip your sled over on the left side to re-prime the pump, effectively what your doing is elevating the oil tank above the engine. Then gravity is used to feed oil to the oil pump inlet port.

Because the quick-prime system is using air pressure to re-prime, typically it will re-prime the pump much more quickly then gravity can alone. Usually the ROV system will re-prime the pump with in a couple of seconds!

Since quick-prime is using air pressure to re-prime, the sled does not necessarily have to be level for it to work. The sled can be pointed up hill, down hill, tipped to the right or left, it doesn't matter just as long as the sled is some what "rubber side" down and there is oil covering the oil pump suction port! This can be a real advantage for mountain riders who may be hung up on the side of a hill some where and need to quickly re-prime they're oil pump as fast as possible!;)!

Bill

Awesome feed back thanks!! Exactly what I needed to know. I will be coming your way for a kit ASAP!!

Bill
Hey Bill, I recently purchased your rollover tether for my 2015 viper, but when I rolled the sled over it still doesn't help reprime the sled! Is there a method to this or something I didnt hook up correctly? Rolled the sled had oil come out of the breather pulled the tether. Then when I rolled it back upright I couldn't get the sled oil light to go out and the sled to prime. Had to tip it on the left side again.... What's that about?

Oh wait I missed this button function. Must have not seen the button when I installed it. I will take a look.

Hey bill, I'm the one that emailed you today about the missing button on my roll over tether system. No my sled is a mxc270 kit so I do not have the mpi update.

Back