• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Turbo Viper ongoing Review.....

Sorry for not getting back sooner on the gearing change and whether or not it changed the speedo accuracy, our weather changed quite a bit and we had a few days of warm weather which really softened up the snow, more cold weather in the forecast so will do my best to check the speeds with a radar gun here soon. Would've been nearly impossible before with all the wet snow, I'm more curious about the affect at higher speeds so I want to check it at like 70+ mph and be able to just hold steady speeds so that loose snow wasn't going to work. Will report back if I can get a chance to do it.

Sorry for not getting back sooner on the gearing change and whether or not it changed the speedo accuracy, our weather changed quite a bit and we had a few days of warm weather which really softened up the snow, more cold weather in the forecast so will do my best to check the speeds with a radar gun here soon. Would've been nearly impossible before with all the wet snow, I'm more curious about the affect at higher speeds so I want to check it at like 70+ mph and be able to just hold steady speeds so that loose snow wasn't going to work. Will report back if I can get a chance to do it.

No problem... from what I was told it should not change because of where the speedo reads... so if you are with in 1 mph then it should be the same.

Yes mine is an mpi kit but does not electronic boost controller, mine is the original stage 1 kit where the yamaha/mpi trail turbo uses the boost controller
hey studroes just wondering if you noticed any loss on the low end after you did the head shim ?

I went ahead and spring orderd the viper ltx-le, I added the mpi turbo kit! :jump: I cant wait!
Its going to be my first sled with a turbo. I asked the dealer what came with the turbo kit. It sounds like a great kit from MPI.
They told me that Yamaha does not change the clutching. Is there anyone familiar with a viper with a tail turbo clutching, any recommendations?
the dealer also told me they don't supply a boost gauge.
Thanks, I cant wait until next winter!
ty4stroke is the best sled forum out there.

I went ahead and spring orderd the viper ltx-le, I added the mpi turbo kit! :jump: I cant wait!
Its going to be my first sled with a turbo. I asked the dealer what came with the turbo kit. It sounds like a great kit from MPI.
They told me that Yamaha does not change the clutching. Is there anyone familiar with a viper with a tail turbo clutching, any recommendations?
the dealer also told me they don't supply a boost gauge.
Thanks, I cant wait until next winter!
ty4stroke is the best sled forum out there.

Awesome!!! Should be great!! I am going to upgrading mine for more boost and more gearing :)

Sea Level Turbo
Part# SMA-8JP17-00-TB

This is the part number Yamaha gave me for the mpi turbo kit that comes with the spring order viper.
just in case anyone interested.

I havent checked my clutches over too indepth. However I know my dealer had both clutches machined, new arms/weights in primary and new helix in the back. They also threw on afr and boost gauges for me as well. I paid for the clutch parts and gauges obviously...just easier for them to do it while it was all tore apart! I have the electronic wastegate control. Next year id like to head shim/stud!

At what psi does the set up require an intercooler? I have been running 6psi all year 600mi no issues good afr 11.5 wot.
Wanting to put on the fuel pump and ulmer clutch and go to 8psi. This is all at 3000-7000ft

At what psi does the set up require an intercooler? I have been running 6psi all year 600mi no issues good afr 11.5 wot.
Wanting to put on the fuel pump and ulmer clutch and go to 8psi. This is all at 3000-7000ft

You're running at a higher elevation, so 8 psi will be fine. I would not run much over 8 psi though without the intercooler upgrade.

You're running at a higher elevation, so 8 psi will be fine. I would not run much over 8 psi though without the intercooler upgrade.
Ok great. Seems like the big changes to the engine, head studs and head gaskets go in around 10psi? I have had a friend running his nytro for 5 years 3000 mi with 8-9psi on just a fuel pump upgrade to his push turbo and its a beast on pump gas.

Hey Gents! Considering an MPI turbo and am looking for dealer recommendations in the Detroit area. Have any of you worked with a dealer in Michigan who has experience installing turbos? I would love to do it myself, but I'm hesitant considering I'm experiencing "off idle pop" and engine kickback on start. I think I want an extended warrenty considering the issues I've read on this forum. Thoughts?

Hey Gents! Considering an MPI turbo and am looking for dealer recommendations in the Detroit area. Have any of you worked with a dealer in Michigan who has experience installing turbos? I would love to do it myself, but I'm hesitant considering I'm experiencing "off idle pop" and engine kickback on start. I think I want an extended warranty considering the issues I've read on this forum. Thoughts?

My dealer has installed a few MPI Kits last season but they are about 3+ hours north of you so might be to far? I would get the extended warranty if you did SPS because its cheap to add so you get the 5 year piece of mind

Last edited:

Back