• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mtx starting

Pat23

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha nytro
  • Have a 2009 Yamaha nytro mtx was running down the trail and it all of a sudden just shut off, the motor just shut off but the cluster and gauges still had power. The silinoid does click and (fuek pump) I believe is still kicking in. Now you turn the key an the starter relay clicks but does not turn engine over. The sled still runs because I pull started it for a whole day. Any ideas what happened or what I can do to get it running again? Thanks

could be a bad starter, starter solenoid or a weak battery. i would load test the battery 1st.

starter solenoids have been known to stick on and keep the starter running while the motor is running. the motor will quit when the battery goes dead and the solenoid can un stick. this has caused fires at times on sleds from the starter overheating. sounds like you where lucky in that the battery retained enough voltage to run the sled with a pull start once the solenoid released.

starter solenoids have been known to stick on and keep the starter running while the motor is running. the motor will quit when the battery goes dead and the solenoid can un stick. this has caused fires at times on sleds from the starter overheating. sounds like you where lucky in that the battery retained enough voltage to run the sled with a pull start once the solenoid released.

So you thinking starter is bad too?

it could be. only way is to test it with a boost pack off of the solenoid terminals with the large cable for the positive. negative needs to be on the engine some place. let us know if it turns over.

it could be. only way is to test it with a boost pack off of the solenoid terminals with the large cable for the positive. negative needs to be on the engine some place. let us know if it turns over.

Still just clicking noting trying to turn over

odds are starter is toast too from that test.

Back