• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mtx studding track

orchie19

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
yamaha apex
I have searched this topic a few time but seams to be very vague. I just purchased a 2008 apex mtx. Sled is in awsome shape. Where I ride our conditions very from powder to hard pack on trail, and some river running. The corners get icy on the trails at times.

This sled has the maverick track cut down to a 1 3/8. Front end has been widened aswell for better trail mannerisms.

If I use tunnel protectors and cooler protectors from a short track sled will I run into issues studding. How long of studs can I run. Anyone done this with a little insight .

I installed Kold Kutter traction screws in my track last season and I love them. It warmed up last December and refroze, so everything was a sheet of ice until we got a good dump of snow in February. The traction screws made a world of difference. I didn't try any really steep, long pulls for fear of losing traction and not being able to turn out, but I was able to most places that I wanted to and was very impressed with the traction.

I haven't had any problems with the traction screws causing damage to my cooler or tunnel. I'm running a 162" 2.25" paddle Challenger track on a RX1 Mountain with a 3" pitch factory Apex Mountain axle and drivers. I had to change to 3" pitch drivers when I put the 162" Challenger track on. I was a little concerned since the Apex drivers are a larger diameter than the 2.52" pitch drivers that I had with the original 151 2" track. I didn't do any modifications to accommodate the track or traction screws and have had no problems.

So, if you have an Apex Mountain with 1 3/8" paddles, you should be able to install traction screws without any modifications. I have no experience with spikes, so I can't help you there.

I really like the traction screws. They are simple, easy to install and work really well. When it's icy, they are a godsend, and when you're in powder, you don't notice them. The only problem I have had (if it's a problem at all) is that the screws are tearing up the plywood on my trailer when I load up. I may put a piece of old track down to stop this or just replace the decking when it wears through.

Any track I get in the future is going to have traction screws in it.

Yeah I just don't think the screws are going to cut it. Would like to use the grand master studs where it is a single ply track. Probably 2 per lug.

Looked into the kold kutter screw in studs. I ordered 500 of the bigger ones that have the carbide tip like the push threw studs. Going to give them a shot. 75% lighter and 500 for 50 bucks.

I think you'll be happy with them. I have the hardened steel ones and they work great. I would imagine that the carbide ones would be even better.

Back