• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Near white plugs. Worry?

Riceburner

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
SideWinder LTX 50th
2005 MPI Supercharged RX 1. [formerly mine, now belongs to a friend]
27 / 23 pullys. 11 ish lbs boost. Sea Level.
New donuts, new needles & seats, new carb bellows, STM caps, carb floats set @ at 14mm.
Screws 2 1/4 turns out, needle clips at factory setting, factory needles & 127.5 Mains.
Replaced the NGK10EIX's with 9's OE plugs gapped @ 18 thou. Plugs replaced as last step to try to cure stalling on let off of throttle due to overfuelling.
Not much running but pulled plugs after unloading from Trailer after some testing on the river & electrodes are NEAR WHITE with black carbon around the edge of the plug.
The 10's we took out were pretty much black.
AFR's are; Idle 12.3, Cruise, 13.7, WOT 10.8
Any thoughts on whether the white is an issue?
I'm thinking no issue as AFR's are good but thought I would ask.

TIA
Dave

that's an opposite event….AFR normal-while the plugs are hot.
Is the AFR gauge up to spec?

Pretty sure the Guage is fine. It is a fairly new AEM & the sled lives in a heated garage.

These are the same AFR #'s the sled has shown for 2 years with the other plugs other than when we were making changes & adjustments or updating carb parts.

Difference is it does not go full rich and stall on deceleration now.

It has develepod a miss or rich burble [not sure which yet] at low speed acceleration since the plug change but that is a topic for another thread.

Checked NGK site and this is what it said & showed.

Normal Condition,
An engine's condition can be judged by the appearance of the spark plug's firing end. If the firing end of a spark plug is brown or light gray, the condition can be judged to be good and the spark plug is functioning optimally.

It appears our light gray/dark white is normal. I guess I was used to the stock RX 1 which like to run rich and the colder 10's which were black but never fouled on a stock motor or 5 lbs of boost.

Still looking for input/comments though.

Attachments

• plugnormal.jpg
    plugnormal.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 138
interesting, mine have always been tan/light brown which i thought was the "normal" range
I always thought that white was a little hot…..however NGK knows plugs far better than I.
looks like the plugs are good to go….
Does the sled have a BOV….worked wonders for me for off throttle stalling/flooding while under boost.

Yes.
MPI dual actuated BOV.
Did not have a BOV when running 5.5 psi & worked great.
Major challenge when it went to 11psi.

Back