• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need serious help!!

slimjim2525

Lifetime Member
I rode my 22 yesterday for the first time this year. Sled has 3K miles on it. After 25 miles or so pulled over and smelled gear oil. Looked down there and sure enough the speedo sensor is off, and gear oil everywhere. Got it home and there is a hole worn through the chaincase, and magnets inside the chaincase. To me everything looks to be together correctly. I lifter the sled on my hoist and driveshaft is solid side to side. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 1000002350.jpg
    1000002350.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 166
  • 1000002349.jpg
    1000002349.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 165

Looks like maybe one or more magnets came out of their mounts, and stuck onto another magnet that was still in their mount. That would be extra thickness that could then wear a hole like that while spinning. Just a theory.

By the picture it looks like all your magnets are out of the end of the drive shaft, 2 of them are sitting on the bottom of the gear and the rest must be in the chain case somewhere.

I would be surprised if the magnets coming loose would do much damage...I think if everything else in the chaincase is still intact that some object like a adjuster wheel screw or some foreign object got eaten up and created havok.

I would be surprised if the magnets coming loose would do much damage...I think if everything else in the chaincase is still intact that some object like an adjuster wheel screw or some foreign object got eaten up and created havok.
At first that’s what I thought but look at his picture, all him magnets are out of the drive shaft.

Looks like maybe one or more magnets came out of their mounts, and stuck onto another magnet that was still in their mount. That would be extra thickness that could then wear a hole like that while spinning. Just a theory.
I bet the width of the wear slot is the same as a magnet...... A loose magnet attached to a magnet still in the mount + buildup of some shavings = sandpaper spinning in chain case.

Is this the first time the case has been opened?

Lotta shrapnel on the other magnets at the bottom of the gear in that pic too.....

There were 4 magnets on the foot board when I was on the side of the trail. 3 in the chaincase when I opened it, and 1 still in the cap. Stain, I changed the oil at 500 miles and put in the DMC top gear last year. So second time it's been opened. My buddy brought over a new cap tonight and the rubber is very hard and can't be squeezed. The one I took out you could squeeze it together no problem. ???

What chain case fluid? Any additives besides the chain case oil? Anyone know what holds the magnets in those holes on the drive shaft? Just throwing spit balls

Gear oil was Mobil 1 75W90. Nothing was put together wrong. Between my sleds and others that I work on, have done this 20 times or more. Also, tensioner wheel bolt is welded, so that is not a factor. I'm totally stumped.

Back