• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes!! The 2s Bravo was in the line while 4s spread throughout the rest of the product line but I sure didn't think that quailfied Yamaha as a performance 2s engine contender in anyway. BUT....Whatever flotes your boat is fine with me.:)
The Bravo - you are right, definitely not a performance sled. Hadn't thought of the new VK540 as a performance sled either, but hey, could be ordered in black, add a sporty seat, chopped/blacked-out windshield, tune up that 540 and clutching to 1982 SRV specs, some red and yellow striping....... voila, a 2017 SRV Retro!

Ok - it's official, with that post this thread is dead. It was a good run - lets just call it 200 pages and move on.
Hahahaha...Not done by along shot!! Few have seen or ridden the SW. A lot of butts have to impress Apex ,Viper & SW seats to make some comparos....Maybe comments will tail off a few weeks after the Sneak Peek Shows. Open discussion is good ..imo... no hurry to stop yet everybody still getting their head around the 2017 product line & seeing, touching means a lot.

I'm really excited about the new/old 2017 Yamaha VK540. I love my Vector on the trails and it has been completely problem-free, but I also love 2-strokes for powder play. The SRX120 was the small step that signalled the partnership; which led to the Viper which led to the Sidewinder. Now Yamaha is back in the 2-stroke business and that just feels right. That 'breaks the seal', they are no longer a 4-stroke only sled company. What's next?
They never stopped producing the Viking (VK 540). It's a HUGE seller in Russia and has been for a long time. People seem to think they've been 4-stroke only and suddenly are back producing 2-s sleds, when they just haven't offered the VK540 in north america for years. I think they didn't offer it in Scandinavia for at least a couple of years, thinking everyone would buy the RS Viking in stead, however the price and weight made VK 540 people demand they get the old model back.

It IS nice with an update for the VK as it's looked pretty much the same since the VK 540II came out in like 1992, hopefully it's dropped a few pounds and picked up a few mpgs, the new ignition and carb will probably make it better. The heated carb should make jetting changes pretty much redundant, i guess?

Keep your expectations low and you won't get that disappointed. I did just that this year and when the 2016 lineup was introduced, I wasn't surprised as it happens every year with Yamaha, ie. minimal refinements and bng.

I will not buy another Yamaha, unless it's all built by Yamaha. Oh yeah...and lighter! I can't believe I have to mention that.
Hey grimm,its time to come back,i did two years ago,after my super bad luck with cats car motor turbo,and all its problems,ya the chassie was very good,but that driveline and motor was a turd,now Yamaha has what we have been asking for,for years,and its priced right,for the HP it puts out.

Hey grimm,its time to come back,i did two years ago,after my super bad luck with cats car motor turbo,and all its problems,ya the chassie was very good,but that driveline and motor was a turd,now Yamaha has what we have been asking for,for years,and its priced right,for the HP it puts out.

A few things I don't agree with on the Sidewinder:
1. It's still not a Yamaha sled
2. It's not lighter
3. Too expensive

I'm not looking for a high horsepower sled, but a lighter nimbler one in a new chassis. If it's co-designed/built by AC & Yamaha, I'm fine with it...as long as it's designed from the ground up, not in it's current configuration though.

I was surprised that Yamaha actually released such a high horsepower sled this year. I guess their hands were tied as Arctic Cat needed a new turbo engine and commissioned Yamaha to provide them with it. Yamaha had to release the Sidewinder, else lose many Yamaha faithful. Can you imagine if AC had a new Yammy turbo powered sled and Yamaha didn't?

What Yamaha really needs is a "bread & butter" sled in the mid-powered segment, where most sales historically lie, much like the Sidewinder engine, but naturally aspirated around 112hp. You know how in today's age, Yamaha has a penchant for repurposing the same engine? Hmm, it could easily have been done for the 2017 lineup...the Sidewinder chassis would have accommodated it perfectly, but why not?

Hopefully, next year, we'll see a new light chassis coupled with the 112hp engine and solely designed and built by Yamaha. That would be the sled I want.

The 2016 RS Vector with 3 different driving modes is under rated. It fills this mid performance category very well!
My wife is not an aggressive driver and she loves this sled. She runs it in Eco mode in the tight twisties and Touring mode rest of the time. When I drive her sled I use Sport mode.

1nc What skid skid and track on on your Vector? Have you posted any review on this sled?

It's a X-TX, 146 ripsaw 2. 1.25 track with the singleshot rear suspension.
Front springs are set at minimum spec in manual. Limiter strap pulled up on hole. I run 210 psi in the rear shock for me(200lbs) and 185 psi in the rear shock for her (135lbs wet).
We rode 800 miles in 4 days this winter with saddle bags and she loved it!
I still am on my Nytro.

IMG_20160217_155711345.jpg
Her 2016 RS Vector X-TX!

It's a X-TX, 146 ripsaw 2. 1.25 track with the singleshot rear suspension.
Front springs are set at minimum spec in manual. Limiter strap pulled up on hole. I run 210 psi in the rear shock for me(200lbs) and 185 psi in the rear shock for her (135lbs wet).
We rode 800 miles in 4 days this winter with saddle bags and she loved it!
I still am on my Nytro.
Whats interesting to me is there is not a lot of positivity here about the Singleshot but it sounds like you guys really like it. I think the variable tune Vector is very underrated.

the vector has always been a great sled in that hp category, drives super well, good power, pretty confy...the single shot might be ok if you ride 50km/h on smooth trails but believe me with the fox float it way worse then then monoshock with coilover shock...had both this year..

To all the people who don't understand why some of us are not thrilled about the Sidewinder or the Viper, its quite simple really. I'll start with the likes about the Sidewinder so people don't get bent till later. I like the ability to remove the headlight pod without all the bolts, pain in the arse on my Apex. Course I liked the clam shell hood the best and always will but don't see that coming back. I love the thumb and handwarmer switches on the same side. I like the 180 plus hp always have liked high hp machinery. Like Cats suspension and even their chassis. Cat can teach Yamaha a ton, course the flip side applies as well.

Now on to the meat of the matter, not a fan of the three cylinder. Not a fan of the way the motor was mounted in the chassis. Not a fan of the chaincase and the oil tank, WT- no drain plugs. I'm not a fan of the extra effort needed to turn the damn chassis (I want to ride not have a workout) and I don't mean no EPS but that would be nice as well. I also don't need a damn electric motor to put my sled in reverse, I can still pull a lever. I'm not a Cat hater, never was and probably never will be but I went to Yamaha for the engine and fell in love with the Yamaha Machine. Not because its the best or the lightest or the most agile. I fell in love with what is Yamaha. I have had many bones to pick with the company on the little things but the strength of the machine has never failed to impress me. That maybe their biggest downfall because the machine is built to last. The up side is the machine will last and can keep me on it for many years to come.

Is it to much to ask for a all Yamaha chassis? Is it to much to ask for a NA four cylinder engine? Is it to much to ask for a better Apex? All this time and all they have came up with is a awesome turboed three hole engine! There is a large group of Yamaha riders that want more. Telling them that the Cat is best and that they have settle with that is not what they want to hear. Yamaha hung a name tag on it but little separates it from the Cat.

I listen to the people tell me how great the Viper is how great the sidewinder will be but I left Cat to come to Yamaha as the people there told me how great the new Pantera 800 was how great the 900 ZR was how great the Firecat was! Rode them all and while they where not junk and lots loved them they where not what I wanted. I'm really glad that so many have found the Yamaha sled that makes them happy, I sincerely mean that! I have as well in the XTX I ride, it makes me happy. I know what I want in a sled. I unlike many of you I have not seen or found that sled yet. Yamaha has yet to build it, that sled that will make me move from my Apex.

I think the biggest thing is people have moved on to a Cat Chassis because they just grew tired of waiting for Yamaha to build something other then the Nytro to compete with the others and accepted that as the norm because the chassis is awesome. They don't understand why the other Yami people just don't listen to them and buy what Yamaha is selling. The people who are left behind on Yamaha sleds either are happy with their sleds as they have made them or like the others wish that Yamaha would build a new chassis as well and still do! They like their Yamaha sleds and don't really want to move over to the Cat Chassis and won't be forced or swayed to it. They are holding out and waiting for so many reasons and if I go into them all the people who now ride the chassis will just get mad and scream bashing and or whatever. Attacking someone because of their choice in a sled is wrong, Not liking the sled they ride is right if stating the reasons in a respectable manner. I mean on both sides thicker skin would be good as well no!

We all come here cause we like the site, We come here to learn about our Yamaha sleds. We are all different and some come from different times and so have different outlooks on where sleds are going and where they have come from. The one thing that is the same and should remain so is that we can respect each others opinions. Both for and against Yamaha's direction if need be. I can respect that people like the Viper and like the Sidewinder, if they can respect that others wish for something else. What we don't need from either side is attacking someone cause they are not on your side or if their opinion is wrong. I'll defend someones opinion even if its wrong furiously. Only a few things to remember, this site is about opinions right and wrong. Its about education and helping people with problems. Its about sharing ideas. But number one is not everyone will ever agree 100% on anything. So Viper riders are right and Apex riders are right, unless they are wrong then they are right to be wrong. We don't need to divide this site into two groups, we just all need to get along. Yamaha riders and Yamacat riders.

I'm so tired of this thread. When are the 2018s coming and wonder what they will come out with next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back