• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dealer told me Yamaha makes more off selling scooters to India then they do off all thier snowmobile sells in North America

It's all about PROFIT and ROI.....not what the market wants. If Yamaha cared about what we wanted, they would have came out with different chassis and engines multiple times over the years.

It's all about PROFIT and ROI.....not what the market wants. If Yamaha cared about what we wanted, they would have came out with different chassis and engines multiple times over the years.

But wait a minute... Profit and ROI is connected to what the market wants. In my world, if the market wants 2 stroke technology then build it. Or you could ignore the market and sell even less. I am no 2 stroke fan myself but I know the market seems to be...

Arctic Cat 9000 Turbo engine is gone.... MPI had MAJOR increase in orders for turbo kit so.... Yamaha engines to be in way more Cats. Phazer gone. Yamaha makes too much $$$$$$ off other 3 manufacturers to produce 2 strokes. Yamaha sells emission points to other 3 and that is pure major profit.

This guys on point, for those who remember AC and Y were the first to take advantage of the 4 credits and have the most out fo all other manufacturers. Allowing them not only to sell to others, but use them for themselves on the credit towards there own 2 strokes.

an 800 twin 4 stroke in a pazer chassis would be killer. not a big boat like the nytro and still have the same high revving characteristics as the 500 would be killer. and or bring back the sxr/srx and or vmax. its just a waiting game. all i can see the snow bike bing is a yzf450 with a timbersled set up just branded as all yamaha.

But wait a minute... Profit and ROI is connected to what the market wants.

No it's not. If what the market wants costs a million USD to develop and the ROI (units sold X profit/unit) on that million is i.e., 20 years, it won't get past the first review.

I just want a sub 450# 4-stroke that gets 25 miles to the gallon and will do 95 on the GPS with Electromagnetic slide rails for no friction or slider wear, magnetic shocks that self adjust for conditions . Oh and 10 year warranty. This I'm willing to pay 14k for

well,everyone is in for a big suprise!!!!just sayin

Well when it costs Yamaha roughly 5 million (actual cost from Yamaha) to develop test and get epa approval on a 4 stroke to sell 20% of the product they could be selling and figure 1-2 mill (rough guess) maybe to do the same with a 2 stroke they already have developed and proven technology for. How in any mathematical world could that not entice you to develop atleast an 800 2banger for ditch and mtn crowd and a 440-500 fan for an entry sled. And then continue business as usual for the rest of the line up and sales for cat and whoever else wants to buy them.

Well when it costs Yamaha roughly 5 million (actual cost from Yamaha) to develop test and get epa approval on a 4 stroke to sell 20% of the product they could be selling and figure 1-2 mill (rough guess) maybe to do the same with a 2 stroke they already have developed and proven technology for. How in any mathematical world could that not entice you to develop atleast an 800 2banger for ditch and mtn crowd and a 440-500 fan for an entry sled. And then continue business as usual for the rest of the line up and sales for cat and whoever else wants to buy them.

How much profit would Yamaha have to make on each unit and how many units could they reasonably expect to sell in a year?

Let's assume that on a 440-500 fan or liquid and the 800 liquid. Let's assume realistically that they can sell an equal amount as to what they have been selling currently ( as the market wants them that's reasonable, and not a high bar). Now an 800 would cost 1/5 to produce of a new 4 stroke and would sell for roughly the same money. That means 5x more profit per unit (on motor) than any 4 stroke built. Now let's be realistic again. There is huge!!!! Gap in the entry level sleds. Even a phazer would be to big to stick most 10-12 yr olds on. An all Yamahas are to expensive for anyone to get the bug and say me and my wife are getting 2 of these and see if we like it. They need a small 2 smoke with basic bare bones shock package and light weight so a 100lb woman or child can handle it and come in at the $7500 range. You won't keep them in stock. Then produce a ditch and mtn 800 to add to line up in the same lightweight chassis but put on the good shock pkg (NOT FLOATS!!!!!!) and some bells and whistles. And now you have a 12-14000 sled that gets the die hard and wanna be and show off guys covered you can offer same sled with the 4stroke in it just like cat is doing and then see what ya got and enjoy the income. But get a 440-500 2 stroke in the 60 hp range 600cc 4 stroke (100hp) the current viper motor or its replacement at the 140 hp range the 800 2stroke 160-170 hp and the turbo viper with 190 kit instead of 180 and you have 4 motors to cover 5 diff classes and same as cat procross you use 1 chassis for all of them. Costs are cut way back and everyone has a segment to find a sled in

What us hardcore snowmobilers tend to forget that snowmobiles are a tiny part of the motorsports division that is about 9% of total revenues from the Yamaha-motor division. I honestly feel that if they were not using the motors in other things such as water crafts and side by sides and needing to provide something for their dealers to sell in Northern Climates they would abandon them all together.

As for Polaris only selling two strokes, my understanding on that is that the capitol investment to design and switch to 4 strokes for snowmobiles would stretch them too thin at this point. They dominate the quad/side by side markets as well as their other interests and are putting their research and capitol investments into those. I would expect you will see them getting into 4 strokes in sleds soon as emissions regulations toughen up in the US. They build some very good 4 stroke engines in their quads and side by sides.

Now this is just my thoughts and I do not have anyone in the industry tell me this and my magic eight ball is no longer working.

OMG, I hope its not a side x side based off there YXZ with twin tracks and ski's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back