• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

new 3cyl oil and valve adj intervales

acpantera

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
22 TCAT+ATAC+EPS
does any one know what oil yam is calling for in the new 3cyl 4stoke,like what type and how often? How about the valve adjustments,anybody know any of the specs on the clutchs and chain case gearing.

Calls for 0W-30 non-energy conserving oil with a change after the first 500 miles then every 2,000 miles.

Gearing for the Vector is 22T top 38T bottom and 22T - 39T on the Rage.

Vector clutch weight is 8ES-17605-00-00 with ST13.9MM rivets in both holes and a Y-SL-Y Primary Spring.

The Rage uses the same weight with a ST13.9MM rivet inner, ST17.2MM outer and a BL-GR-BL Primary Spring.

Hope this helps.

SledderSteve said:
Calls for 0W-30 non-energy conserving oil with a change after the first 500 miles then every 2,000 miles.

Yeh, when they say "non-energy-conserving" oil, I assume they mean DON'T use synthetic oil even though it could likely add to oil longevity and provide easier cold-weather starting. The explanation, according to Yamaha, is that it causes slippage in the clutch on the electric starter. I know this can be a problem on motorcycles, in that synthetic oil bathing the transmission clutch plates can result in clutch slippage. I assume therefore that the electric start uses some kind of friction clutch rather and a pinion gear on the flywheel as is generally conventional on electric starters.

Valve adjustment is recommended every 25,000 miles (seriously). I've been riding snowmobiles for 30 years. This is the first time I've ever had to worry about valve clearance, and certainly the first time I've ever seen a recommended service interval of 25,000 miles.

I know that the RX-1 calls for oil NOT to be "energy conserving II" or better wich tells me that energy conserving oil is ok to use....would you know the gearing on the venture?

That "non-energy conserving" oil that Yam requires is actualy better oil. Energy-conserving oil has extra slippery additives for better MPG for cars, it's requirred by EPA to save energy and it isn't better oil just more slippery.
A Yam guy at the snow show said their starter clutches were long ago changed to avoid any problems, but BigMac is right about wet clutches, he said it's still not good idea for bikes. And I forget the number's but he said their new oil is like 60% synthetic or something like that and that's way more than other semi-synthetics out there. And he didn't slam synthetic oil, they know guys run it and he didnh't think there would be a problem with it.

Who sells 0-30??? Some one stated earier that yammie may come out with it.. My manual says energy 11 not recommended. Mobile 1 is not 11..I use mobile 1 in my wifes cruiser and my snow-blower with great results. Should I switch over after the break-in period or stick with semi-syn. oils like valvoline durablend. :ORC MM. :4STroke:

Mad Max, energy II is the same as energy conserving.
Yamaha just sent a bulletin to their dealers about their new snowmobile oil, it's coming in all the '05 4-strokes. It's supposed to be 0w-30 synthetic blend. The rep said it was made just for snowmobiles, good stuff.
When asked about Mobil 1 he was not against them, said they should work. But since they don't test it, Yamaha can't officially recommend. But he made it sound like Mobil 1 shouldn't be a problem

Sounds good. I won't need it for a while. With any luck I can buy some for my first oil change. ;)! MM.

energy conserving and energy conserving II are NOT the same. The API says that when test an oil is labeled as energy conserving when the engine it is used in has an increase in fuel economy of 1.5% and energy conserving II increases fuel economy by 2.5%.all mobil one oils I seen on the shelves are only energy conserving except for the 15w50 wich is not rated energy consering at all.

You're right ac. Sorry, my mistake about the two types of energy conserving.
And my statement about the energy conserving not being better oil was strictly about the standard $1.79 a qt., non-synthetic stuff, not the synthetics.
I agree that synthetics are better oils regardless.
And it's good to know Yamaha is making a synthetic you can run with their approval. Engine designers are pretty demanding about what an oil has to do for them, if the oil was made specifically for snowmobiles, all the better in my opinion.

I think I would have to agree that the aproved oil my be the one to use. I just noticed that yam recomends that the oil should not exceed a SAE grade CD (a standard for diesels)and all the current mobil one's are SAE CF grades.

I got my new issue of Snowtech last week and they had a little blurb on oil in the new sleds.

On page 62 it says:

"Yamaha has developed a new 0W-30 synthetic blend engine oil specifically designed for four stroke snowmobiles, including all RS and RX models."......

....."All 2005 Yamaha four-stroke models will come from the factory with this new oil, and it is recommended for use in all 2003 and 2004 RX-1 models. Yamalube 0W-30 4-S Formula meets or exceeds all SAE 0W-30 requirements, as well as all API certifications as recommended for use in Yamaha four-stroke engines"

I still have enough Amsoil for this year - but hopefully guys on this forum will provide feedback on this new oil as well.

acpantera said:
I think I would have to agree that the aproved oil my be the one to use. I just noticed that yam recomends that the oil should not exceed a SAE grade CD (a standard for diesels)and all the current mobil one's are SAE CF grades.
The manual for my Vector says not to use anything higher than grade CD.

acpantera said:
SAE grade CD (a standard for diesels)
Hmm, reminds me of my '97 Venture 600 when the oil injector pump progressively failed rich during a bagger trip. At it's worst it was burning a quart every 50 miles until I completely disconnected the cable to the pump. Even then it burned a quart in 100 miles. The pump was replaced under warranty after the trip but I caught all sorts of grief about riding a diesel from my riding partners during the 1,500 mile trip.

So in an effort to turn that grief into humor, I put Cummins N14 engine emblems on each side of the machine along with a Cummins logo emblem on the front lined up nicely with the Yamaha tuning fork.

I didn't realize how "stock" the emblems looked until riding a few weeks later when I fueled up then moved the sled next to some diesel pumps. After paying for my gas I found a group of sledders standing around my machine. They asked me if it was really a diesel, how was the performance, mileage and if it was hard to start in cold weather.

It was difficult for me to keep a straight face but somehow I managed as I explained the machine was joint venture prototype being co-developed by Cummins and Yamaha for a possible return of John Deere to the snowmobile business.

I must have been somewhat believable as then I got to hear all about their favorite Liquifire, Spitfire and what not all Deere sleds they had in the past.

It's too bad this all happened before Bill Engvall's "Here's Your Sign" because I would have given them one. :ORC

Back