• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

new to apex world

Paulson14

Hey guys i just bought a apex the other day. I went into a yamaha dealer and said i want a reliable 4 stroke with just as much horsepower as my last sled. So he gave me a good deal on a apex all i have to do is wait for snow now and go riding. My last sled had pics and we do alot of lake riding what brand of picks should i look into buying and should i get a tunnel guard?

thanks
Mike

Congrat's on the new Apex, Welcome to the Yamaha blog, this is the best snowmobile on-line blog going with lots of good info. Great guys that love their sleds and can help you out. I don't run the lakes or run studs so I can't help you there, but sure someone will chime in and help you out. Again, welcome and enjoy the upcoming winter. Dan

alright thanks guys thanks and super quick response to i m going to like this forum. I will order some threw the dealer next week.

And its a short track any good patterns out there i should copy.

thanks
mike

I have a 1.1/4" lug track and used 144 woddys 1.325's megabites down the middle. the pattern can be found on wooodys website that is the length they recommend. Be careful with the length. Stick with what they say for your track lug height . too tall is bad not better! like some may think.

Rich Kay said:
I have a 1.1/4" lug track and used 144 woddys 1.325's megabites down the middle. the pattern can be found on wooodys website that is the length they recommend. Be careful with the length. Stick with what they say for your track lug height . too tall is bad not better! like some may think.

I have the same setup you do, and I agree with the stud length.

Agreed on the 1.325 Megabytes for a trail sled.

What year Apex?

On a 2011 Shorty, not a lot of Stud room.

I had no issues but others did.

Do a search if you bought a 2011. There is a good thread here for some minor mods . One option is to add some extra thickness to the tunnel protecters.

2010 or earlier Apex. No stud issue for 1.325's and no tunnel guard needed.

What I would like to stress here is that after 25 yrs useing exclusively woodys products with no issues they equate proper stud height for most ANY lug height to only be 1/4 to 3/8" above the lug. Any higher and bad things occur, pull thru's,broken heat exchangers,believe it or not less penetration (if too many studs that are too long) and bent or broken studs. this is of course is trail/ performance trail set-ups. All out heavy mod drag racing on ice.... different rules apply.
Rich.

Back