• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New top gear & Drive axle on 2022 sidewinders

I just shake my head after I pulled it apart. I was all excited to take pictures and post up better clearance. Actually the clearance was horrible. Like I can slide the bearing on and off shaft without the anti seize the factory put on it. At least my last one it would stick slightly and you had to push it on some. This one the bearing just slides on and off like nothing. I put a better bearing in and bolted the brake half back on. I split the brake as I find it easier then leaving brake line attached.
What did you end up having to go to for torque on the saver to lock the bearing?

What did you end up having to go to for torque on the saver to lock the bearing?
I did not mess with it much. Went 45 pounds. I’m pretty much done with this crap after this year if I have issues with this 22 spinning. Going to go the spray weld and pin in shaft to lock bearing. I have a 21 cat that has been a nightmare with shaft wear. It has 1300 miles on it. The shaft was trashed after 180 miles. I ran it straight from dealer up north for a trip. Did not have a wedge in it first 180 miles. BIG mistake.

I did not mess with it much. Went 45 pounds. I’m pretty much done with this crap after this year if I have issues with this 22 spinning. Going to go the spray weld and pin in shaft to lock bearing. I have a 21 cat that has been a nightmare with shaft wear. It has 1300 miles on it. The shaft was trashed after 180 miles. I ran it straight from dealer up north for a trip. Did not have a wedge in it first 180 miles. BIG mistake.
i was thinking that since you reported that the shaft was a bit smaller, that the saver would need to be torqued more.

i was thinking that since you reported that the shaft was a bit smaller, that the saver would need to be torqued more.
The inner diameter of the drive shaft was made smaller the last 2-3 years now. I think if the shaft was of a harder material it may need to more torque? I’m tired of this shifty design.

How much "rocking" was on the original bushing?
It was definitely rocking when I took it apart ( .5 mm ) . I wouldn’t trust it another 1000 miles . The oil was dirty , It was a little disappointing, it was the same as my 18 the first time I checked it . The gear I have machined up with a bronze bushing has no slop or wear & oil comes out clean after 1000 mile checks . Can’t believe cat hasn’t figured this out by now . This is with the sled set up with hurricane 300 with 3 “ exhaust , riding high rate of speed trails in northern Ontario.

Locally here there has been two 2022 sleds with chain case failures with extremely low miles.
There seems to be an issue with the top gears on these units. It seems like the reverse gear doesn’t mesh easily and ends up breaking the shift fork pads and stripping the top gear.

The issue seems to be in the jackshaft , the gears mesh fine in hand but with the chain tensioned properly you need to put a lot of force on the reverse gear to get it to mesh into drive.
Warranty obviously is covering both sleds.
Something to look for though.

Locally here there has been two 2022 sleds with chain case failures with extremely low miles.
There seems to be an issue with the top gears on these units. It seems like the reverse gear doesn’t mesh easily and ends up breaking the shift fork pads and stripping the top gear.

The issue seems to be in the jackshaft , the gears mesh fine in hand but with the chain tensioned properly you need to put a lot of force on the reverse gear to get it to mesh into drive.
Warranty obviously is covering both sleds.
Something to look for though.
Great now I can’t use reverse!! Lol. Just kidding. Thanks for post.

I've been installing the Hurricane roller bearing top gears in all 998's going thru the shop now. Don't think there's going to be any more failures using these.

Any high miles on the hurricane gear. Theee was talk about potential shaft wear instead of bushing wear when they first came out

Just curious if that’s happening or not

Any high miles on the hurricane gear. Theee was talk about potential shaft wear instead of bushing wear when they first came out

Just curious if that’s happening or not

I've no snow to test or run on yet, but Dave said he has sleds out there running them with many thousands of miles on and years of running them with no shaft wear or failures of any type, and he's never steered me wrong before. I can see why this roller gear works well with all the needles that are in there too, its not a like a wrist pin bearing with just a few needles in there from an old two-stroke, but a quality piece with no cage in it at all, so lots of needles taking and spreading the load, and IMO they rotate ever so slightly even while locked in forward so they will not dimple the shaft just sitting in one place. I like the looks of them and I also like the looks of the DMC bushing fix as well. Both good alternatives to fix the issue and anything is better than stock, even the tighter and longer aftermarket bushings.

The factory bushing is downright garbage and the reason for most of the chain case failures along with roller bolts backing out and sight glass's falling out. Fix these items and the chain case is as good or better than anything out there.

Thinking about order a new top gear for my 22 and install it on the first fluid change.
2022 LTX SE should I stay with the stock gearing?

Back