• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New top gear & Drive axle on 2022 sidewinders

In the old days, whenever Arctic Cat "changed or upgraded" a part, the would underline the part number in the part illustration book. Not sure they do that anymore. Now a days, they probably just change the part number.

I just checked the 2022 top gear part # and it the same part # as my 2020 gear, has it really been upgrade with better material?
Bushing material definitely has been changed ,I have gears with old and current date on gears . New bushing is blueish grey , old is dark grey

Attachments

• FAF30ED0-DCCD-4885-B148-9E6E6AD0FD2A.jpeg
    FAF30ED0-DCCD-4885-B148-9E6E6AD0FD2A.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 037507C0-1C09-4C1D-9984-694B2ADD8A7E.jpeg
    037507C0-1C09-4C1D-9984-694B2ADD8A7E.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Bushing material definitely has been changed , have gears with old and current date on gears . New bushing is blueish grey , old is dark grey

HA-HA-HA, Smoke & mirrors! Maybe IF the coating is thicker and it fits the shaft better it may last a ever so weee bit longer, but don't bet on it.

They could have copied DMC, Prevost or Hurricane bushing/bearing but looks like Cat/Yamaha wasn't even smart enough to do that. Oh Brother!

Its a rolling in change on '22s. So hard to tell if you have the new one or not.

p.s. Travis don't forget about me and my upper shaft sleeve trouble.

What are the measurements on the O.D of the driveshafts?Every can complain about the bearings being loose but the numbers dont lie!!!!There is a standard for bearing fits ALL engineers have to follow,Measure and compare the bearing I.D. and the shaft O.D..then grab a machinist handbook and see if its in tolerance..Everyone can say on here the bearing is loose but that means nothing without telling everyone the actual measurements!!!!Numbers guys not opinions just saying.Would be interesting to hear what everyone is getting for measurements on there driveshaft.

For better or worse, the engineers involved in this seem to want a loose fit. They hardened the Shaft so it doesn't wear away in the bearing, they lubed the shaft so if it spins in the bearing it does less damage, and the bearing itself is spec'd as a loose bearing. The engineers don't want to lock this up and are doing everything they can to not lock it up. They must have a reason, will something else blow up if it is locked? (Doesnt some like it with all of the savers out there.) Like I said in the beginning, for better or worse, don't crucify me for making observations lol
My guess is it some risk analysis that the engineers have accounted for that is unknown to customers.
If the driveshaft fails but the customer can still brake is a lot better than a drive shaft that doesn't fail but braking could be affect.

Probably accounted for with the tunnel flex people have seen when torquing the BOP saver.

What are the measurements on the O.D of the driveshafts?Every can complain about the bearings being loose but the numbers dont lie!!!!There is a standard for bearing fits ALL engineers have to follow,Measure and compare the bearing I.D. and the shaft O.D..then grab a machinist handbook and see if its in tolerance..Everyone can say on here the bearing is loose but that means nothing without telling everyone the actual measurements!!!!Numbers guys not opinions just saying.Would be interesting to hear what everyone is getting for measurements on there driveshaft.
FYI,the driveshaft measurement cannot be taken with a caliper it is not accurate enough.. to measure bearing fits you need a micrometer!!!!!!!

Not EVERY shaft will have the same measurement. Don't matter what it should be.. Its going to be different on every sled. My 17 had 2 shafts in it.. The second shaft was very tight putting brake half back on. Like had to wiggle it some and work it onto shaft. It was tight enough that I had to be conscience about getting bearing on and seated all the way on and square . My 2022 "new improved shaft" I can slide it on and off with very little resistance if ANY. The key is getting to the shaft from new.. Cleaning all the anti seize off shaft and bearing that's put on from the factory.. Then get a wedge from BOP from MILE 0.. Once it slips some its never coming back and makes it harder to keep it locked down.

Bushing material definitely has been changed ,I have gears with old and current date on gears . New bushing is blueish grey , old is dark grey
Bad job of deburring bushing too. Should be part of process of putting holes in.

Bad job of deburring bushing too. Should be part of process of putting holes in.
Those holes were not in that gear from factory.. The 2022 does not have holes in it. OR shall i say the one I took out did not have holes

Last edited:
Not EVERY shaft will have the same measurement. Don't matter what it should be.. Its going to be different on every sled. My 17 had 2 shafts in it.. The second shaft was very tight putting brake half back on. Like had to wiggle it some and work it onto shaft. It was tight enough that I had to be conscience about getting bearing on and seated all the way on and square . My 2022 "new improved shaft" I can slide it on and off with very little resistance if ANY. The key is getting to the shaft from new.. Cleaning all the anti seize off shaft and bearing that's put on from the factory.. Then get a wedge from BOP from MILE 0.. Once it slips some its never coming back and makes it harder to keep it locked down.
Again...Need numbers not opinions!!!!let's see some numbers guys...too loose or tight ARE NOT NUMBERS!!!

Again...Need numbers not opinions!!!!let's see some numbers guys...too loose or tight ARE NOT NUMBERS!!!
It’s a #*$&@ design and we all know it. This new shaft is not going to change anything no matter what a calipers reads. I don’t need caliper and numbers to know that the shaft in my 2022 is not going to spin inside a bearing. It will spin if left alone from factory and no wedge from BOP.

When I get my new parts, and take everything apart, I'll get you some numbers..... Really hoping my stuff is in by the end of the week, snow is starting to accumulate

Back