• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nitrous University

machzed said:
rehm70 said:
Towed my ride back to the house, then came back with a buddies F5, then to the Lakewoods for 16 Jim and Cokes!!!!

At least the sled looked fast we should have left it on the lake for a show piece! And I only counted 10 jim and cokes!
HEY.
Its my story, I'll tell it any way I want....it was 20 Jim and Cokes :drink: :drink: :drink: ;)! :moon:

Man, sorry to hear that. I hate to kick a man when he's down but I did say that you can't add 50% hp to you sled while only adding 27% fuel. The math does not work.

A Yamaha Apex motor operates at or near a BSFC of .50
If you add HP, you need to add the equivalant amount of gas to maintain that BSFC. If you do not, you will either lean burn down or detonate and break a ring land. If you were in fact running a 70 HP shot with only 27% fuel added your BSFC would have dropped to something like .38 or .40. That is about where finely tuned NASCAR engines run.

Read more about bsfc here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_spec ... onsumption

Quick compression test will give you the answers.

hey wayne.....thnx for the info, but did u read the part that said I didn't spray it that weekend???
I didn't spray more than 30grams total before that day.
I understand about BSFC, but how does the A/F ratio lie?
first of all, N2O helps burn all UNBURNT fuel in our motos(we all have some) that in effect takes a chunk out of the extra fuel needed for proper A/F ratio.
Second thing, when spraying in our airboxes, the IAT sensor gets a smack in the face by the super-cold charge of N2O.
that in turn richens the A/F, and even less extra fuel is needed.

Dynotune uses only the enrichment from the IAT when N2O is sprayed across it to richen the fuel for their 40HP dry bike kits. The IAT makes a huge adjustment to the fuel curve.

BTW, here is a pic of my plug..they all look the same
100_4310.jpg
[/img]

Derek, the dynotune system only sprays a small shot into a motorcycle compared to what we are doing here.
I also think, only certain bikes, like the Hyabusa has a IAT sensitive enough to except such a way of adding fuel.

And yes, I think if you are plenty rich on the AF gauge, then you should be safe in the BSFC department!!

I run my AF at 10.9 or so, and I suppose it hits about 11 to 1 in along run.

A couple weeks ago I raced a MCXpress Apex across the lake and I never let up on the nitrous!!!! We were side by side!! It was a rolling start from about 40mph. No time to even look at my gauge like when I radar run!! I was too busy watching the TURBO to make sure he wasn't passing me!!!

Didnt even see you re-posted on here freak.
Had been busy all summer/fall, new baby girl and Late Model racing made me ignore the sled.....Took it to the dealer the week of New Years, they tore apart, had ringlands lifted on 3 pistons....yamaha didnt warranty it, ended up owing the dealer $400 for tear-down labor. Oh well, not blaming Yamaha, i wouldnt warranty it either.

I figured out what happened back in May, but didnt think of posting...
Friday afternoon, at the Weenie-Roast, there was about 6inches of water on the lake-I had installed an exhaust cutout and had it open.
Well, with that much water on the lake, i got my o2sensor wet and it shorted out.
Instead of concede my race weekend, I switched the nitrous control to manual and had no way of monitoring the o2 levels.
That wasnt the problem!!!
The problem came when I made a mistake in modifying my fuel map for the PCIII while eating bfast with the guys.

Turns out, I wasnt injecting much, if any fuel during my 3 short purge bursts on the way accross the lake, to the Roast.
All it took was THREE short bursts of about 2 seconds each to smoke the ringlands in the pistons! lol.

All is not lost, I ordered some pistons and a thicker head gasket, head studs, and I will put the thing together again, and spray away-we'll see if it will hang when all is tuned correctly. It should really fly with 70 grams of spray, but we'll see.
Thanks again Terry, NOS Pro, for borrowing me those nozzles.

Back