• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Brake Upgrade?

nos

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro
I really like the way the newer sleds brake and would love to get something similar on the older Nytro. Is there an upgrade available for a 2008 Nytro?

Whats wrong with the brake on yours? Maybe you need pads, or you need to bleed the fluid. I can lock the track with 1 finger on the brake.

Oops, pushed reply too quick :S

I agree with the above, my brakes are awesome and will lock with one finger if I want. Something must be wrong with your brakes if youre thinking you need some type of upgrade.

I ride aggressively and use eh brakes hard repeatedly from high speed, corner to corner. My brakes are bleed and pads are good, does anyone know of a more aggressive brake pad for the Nytro?

I personally don't know if the aftermarket even has options for this as I don't think there is a large need for brake upgrades but I could be wrong, maybe someone does.

What issue are you noticing with the brakes? Are you talking fade or simply feel?

no problems here with brakes either. Ride aggressive on the trails and when i need the brakes they never fail to disapoint. Not that often that I do need them though.

I have never come across a brake upgrade or different pads for the Nytro. Have you tried to duct air down to the rotor. It sounds like you are having an issue with Brake fade do to heat. It could be as simple as a 3/4" plastic line with one end in fresh air and the other directed towards the brake and rotor. the rotor and brake are in sort of a dead air space. engineers do that sort of thing on race cars all the time for areas within the car that don't get much natural ventilation the vent above that area does little to circulate air hence why they put a fins on the roto to try to circulate the air in that area. since the nytro is pretty much an obsolete chassis i doubt anyone will develop anything new for it.

Because of the weight transfer that occurs when braking, I don't think you could out ride the brakes on any modern machine. I agree that these brakes are a one finger operation and more than sufficient. I hope you find what you are looking for. Happy riding!

For most, the Yamaha jack shaft brake system has worked well and there have been very few complaints. If the newer sled being referred to is the Viper that chassis utilizes the drive shaft rather than the jack shaft for braking. The jack shaft braking is not as aggressive because gearing comes into play but it tends to be smoother and less sensitive to track lock up. I'm not a fan of the Viper's drive shaft brake system for trail riding because it's to aggressive and has a tendency to lock up the track. For aggressive trail riding I tend to use very little brake and rely more on clutching and the engine to help reduce speed when entering a corner or on a steep down hill slope. Occasionally I will lock the brake just enough to slide the rear around a tight corner but I find that easier to control with the jack shaft type of braking. I don't believe the Nytro needs any modifications to the brake system and as far as I know no one has tried making any changes because it hasn't been a problem. If there was an issue you'd find all kinds of information about it here on TY so lack of information says something.

The only modification I have done to the brakes is replace the cable with a Schmidt Bros braided metal cable. Look it up, it might help. I have zero complaints about my brakes!

For most, the Yamaha jack shaft brake system has worked well and there have been very few complaints. If the newer sled being referred to is the Viper that chassis utilizes the drive shaft rather than the jack shaft for braking. The jack shaft braking is not as aggressive because gearing comes into play but it tends to be smoother and less sensitive to track lock up. I'm not a fan of the Viper's drive shaft brake system for trail riding because it's to aggressive and has a tendency to lock up the track. For aggressive trail riding I tend to use very little brake and rely more on clutching and the engine to help reduce speed when entering a corner or on a steep down hill slope. Occasionally I will lock the brake just enough to slide the rear around a tight corner but I find that easier to control with the jack shaft type of braking. I don't believe the Nytro needs any modifications to the brake system and as far as I know no one has tried making any changes because it hasn't been a problem. If there was an issue you'd find all kinds of information about it here on TY so lack of information says something.

Wow, as always well put Grizz!!

The only modification I have done to the brakes is replace the cable with a Schmidt Bros braided metal cable. Look it up, it might help. I have zero complaints about my brakes!

Schmidt bros does sell a longer hydraulic brake line that allows for taller handle bar risers. They also claim their stainless steel line doesn't balloon like a rubber line might under pressure. If the stock line does balloon and Schmidt bros claims are correct their line would make the brake more responsive but I don't believe the average rider would notice a difference between the two.

Last edited:
Yes, I did buy it when I was extending my risers. I didn't have any complaints about my breaks prior to putting the cable on, so I didn't buy it because of the sales pitch. I was just thinking that the braid would protect it from any rubbing under the hood. I don't remember if the brakes were at all sluggish before to bee honest (I doubt it), but I know that as soon as I tap the leaver, I have all the stopping power I need (and I drive like a moron)!
Seriously, like stated above. if you don't have wicked brakes, go thru your entire system and look for an issue. As soon as I hit the brakes, my track locks up. A lot of time I need to pump the brakes just so I don't slide for 100' (abs style).

Back