• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro MTX on groomed trails? Anyone have similar experience?

Mac

Veteran
I'm trying to decide if the Nytro MTX will work as a crossover 70% trail and 30% Boondocker in Quebec. My group all has 121 apex and sport machines that don't dare put a ski off trail. I'm going to be the first of our group to try a Mtn. sled and I wonder how it will perform in the eastern heavier type snow. This may open up a whole new sector of riding for our group. Since shorter lug tracks are not available in a 153 will I pound this 2 1/4 track and destroy it? Also running a 153 on trails how will it turn in the tight and twisty groomed type trails compared to 121. This could be a huge mistake.

I had the Phazer Mtn for this season in Nova Scotia. Put about 1100 km on it and the only time I did damage to the track lug was in very low snow/rocky conditions. It is a 2" lug. Loved the sled, great in all conditions. Put a set of scratchers on it for hard pack conditions. Oh, and I ordered a Nytro MTX for next year. Can't wait. Hope this helps.

I'm going to try an MTX 60 percent off trail and 40 percent on. Going to add some ice scratchers, and if I find the lug height too tall, I'll shave it to a 1.75" and try that?

Road the FXNytro MTX, and here is what I think for on trails. As long as you have some loose softer snow, you will be fine, but if you are going to hope on the railroad bed trail that runs through the St. Lawrence area and go 70 MPH for minutes at a time, you are going to toast hyfax and destroy the track. Just my 2 cents.

Why not get the FXNytro, and put a 144" x 1.5" track and really have a great cross over sled? You'll get the upgraded shock package and be able to put a more trail friendly track on it.

I have snow checked a 2008 FXNytro MTX, but I live in the MTN's, and do plan on some trail riding with my wife, but we never get the hard pack trail stuff until the spring rolls around. Otherwise we have trails that are groomed with soft snow to lubricate and cool the sled. Different grooming equipment from the western Mtn's to the eastern areas.

Just my 2 cents,

Steve

Thanks for the replys everyone. Here are my concerns.

1. Is the hyfax the real issue? Can't I run oversized wheels and ad more wheel kits to solve the hyfax burning problem along with scratchers?

2. Is'nt the lug height 2 1/4 really the issue. I was thinking I might have to trim the track to 1 7/8 or 1 /3/4. Will this length hold up on the trails or is this pounding down the trails until it comes apart?

3. When the snow is 4 - 6 feet deep boondocking won't I need the 153 verses 144. How well does a 144 pull in deep snow off trail. Can I stop and go without problems.

4. Also if I try to make a 144 then I need Mt. skis, duel throttle, handlebar strap, and who knows what else?

I have many years of experiance in Quebec on a 121. But no experiance on a longtrack of any size no less a 153. I can't even see the Nytro MTX before the April 15 snowcheck deadline. A show does come to Allentown PA on April 15 but I'm thinking they won't have a MTX longtrack.

You'll be fine with the MTX!!

I currently own an '03 Polaris Vertical Escape with a 2" 159 track. I ride both MN trails/ditches (when we get snow) and western mountains (3-4 trips a year). I have 2,335 miles on this machine and the hifax are like new!! Absolutly no wear! In addition, I removed two of the idler wheels up front and installed ice scratchers. I also run Simmons Skis and mounted their scratchers on the skis.

If the paddles can get a bite, you will be just fine. If it is really hard (early morning), drop the scratchers. If it is icy, stay off the trails....no fun riding when conditions are like that anyway....at least that is my opinion!

You will not believe the hook-up of the paddle. Once you experience, you will NEVER go back to a standard track/lug height!

Last year.I had an apex mtn with a track I cut down too 1" lugs so the track was 162"x1"lugs and that thing handles awesome.Put some ice scrathers on and you won't have to worry about the hyfax.

Nope.I may buy something else if I sell my prostock on aspahlt.I have a srx project sled I'm doing right now.And I'm looking for a job.I haven't worked since November and I was laid off a few weeks ion october

Snow checked a Nytro MTX as a test sled for ditch riding and high elevation. This thing is awfully close to the Apex Mtn on long pulls all while being alot more nimble!

Rode both, and agree with exactly what pro116 said. I think there will be alot of Apex Mtn sleds sitting on the dealership floor this year, and people are going to be scrambling to get an FXNytro MTX.

The FXNytro MTX is a cross between the phazer and the apex. And in my opinion, it took the best from both worlds. Nimble and agile like a phazer, and has some serious power and very close to the Apex.

I have one on order, and after todays ride through the alpine meadows, I can not wait to have it!!!! Sumemr will be way too long this year!!!

Steve

Mac said:
Thanks for the replys everyone. Here are my concerns.

1. Is the hyfax the real issue? Can't I run oversized wheels and ad more wheel kits to solve the hyfax burning problem along with scratchers?

2. Is'nt the lug height 2 1/4 really the issue. I was thinking I might have to trim the track to 1 7/8 or 1 /3/4. Will this length hold up on the trails or is this pounding down the trails until it comes apart?

3. When the snow is 4 - 6 feet deep boondocking won't I need the 153 verses 144. How well does a 144 pull in deep snow off trail. Can I stop and go without problems.

4. Also if I try to make a 144 then I need Mt. skis, duel throttle, handlebar strap, and who knows what else?

I have many years of experiance in Quebec on a 121. But no experiance on a longtrack of any size no less a 153. I can't even see the Nytro MTX before the April 15 snowcheck deadline. A show does come to Allentown PA on April 15 but I'm thinking they won't have a MTX longtrack.

I think hyfax will be an issue. Yammies are bad on hyfax to begin with. I run a 136" x 2" and when I ran the groomed trails this year my hyfax took a beating. And yes, I have scratchers. Also, the deep lug tracks suck on groomed trail. On hardpack, the tall lugs bend over and you get a fishtailing sled that bites worse than a 1" track. Lugs are going to tear quicker and the track will delaminate if you heat the clips too bad. I haven't looked at the FX mountain specs, but usually mountain sleds are narrower than the trail versions which makes for poor cornering. Skids are also calibrated more for deep snow than trail bumps. You could make it work, but I bet it will take a LOT of tweaking.

I went to the 136 x 2 track on my sled with the intention of cutting the lugs down. I have had so much fun riding the sled off trail that I can't bring myself to cut it down. Luckily, we have had good snow since I did the extension and I haven't had to ride much hardpack. If I was 70% on trail, I would not go any more than 1.5". Also, I think 136 is pretty good on my sled, 144 might be OK for trails, but any longer and it would have to have the tip up rails. You also have to remember that the mountain sleds need the extra flotation because of the deep snow and the fact that you are going UPHILL through that slow. Us flatlanders and small hill guys don't need as much flotation to boondock. In fact, a shorter sled is easier to ride through tight stuff than a longer one.

If you haven't already guessed, I vote for extending a 121 to 136 or 144 with a 1.5" track!! ;)!

hyfax wear is 100% based on riding conditions, or lack of. I did go thru a set of hyfax in 6 mi on the Apex mtn, but it was due to no snow for 6 mi, with no way around it. The last 1500 mi show no wear, and all the mi are in Ontario, mostly play, with a couple hundred trail mi thrown in as well.

Back