• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro primary in a sidewinder

I have now mounted the Viper secundary and Apex primary clutches in my Sidewinder. I dont trust the Sidewinder clutches,so many primary that have exploded and that with stock weights and aftermarked weights. I have run for years 380-390 hp on my Nytro with Thunder produkts weights and with no isues.
Any results on belt life with big power so far? This may help us decide it the winder clutches are the issue, or if its just a chassie/offest thing..

Dan

If we are just talking the Stubshaft and Primary clutch we know for sure the Stock Stubshaft in a Sidewinder has to be lighter than any before since the Relucter gear was removed. I know that doesnt seem like much but I am telling you guys even a 1/2 ounce in a assembly spinning 9000 rpm matters. That said has anyone ever weighed the old and new clutches?

Whats the stock relucter gear?

The new clutch I would imagine weights more, I can weigh both at some point, but the castings and the spider are much thicker on the sidewinder clutches.

On Nytros and Vipers the pickup for timing reads off the Stubshaft. Sidewinder it reads off the Flywheel so nothing on Stubshaft. Reluctor looks basically like a gear.

If we are just talking the Stubshaft and Primary clutch we know for sure the Stock Stubshaft in a Sidewinder has to be lighter than any before since the Relucter gear was removed. I know that doesnt seem like much but I am telling you guys even a 1/2 ounce in a assembly spinning 9000 rpm matters. That said has anyone ever weighed the old and new clutches?
I was curious:). Weighted pin and washer no weight no rooler

3925gr old and 4080gr SW
IMG_4642.JPG
IMG_4643.JPG

Awesome! Thanks for taking time to do that and share. Now we know wieght at least on clutch side of Stubshaft does not stop rattle.
I’ve been running a viper primary since last December. It rattles just as bad as sidewinder clutch. Belt life is the same as a sidewinder clutch. But it doesn’t go boom. 1500 miles and no cracks. With our clutch weights I went 5 grams heavier with base weight and setup with same screws as sidewinder clutch.

I’ve been running a viper primary since last December. It rattles just as bad as sidewinder clutch. Belt life is the same as a sidewinder clutch. But it doesn’t go boom. 1500 miles and no cracks. With our clutch weights I went 5 grams heavier with base weight and setup with same screws as sidewinder clutch.

Does that mean that the nytro primary will fit the Sidewinder?

What secondary are you runing? And what is your offset between primary and sendary clutch?

Does that mean that the nytro primary will fit the Sidewinder?

What secondary are you runing? And what is your offset between primary and sendary clutch?
Yes it fits. Stock secondary. Offset is the same. Didn’t have to adjust. I’m set at 61mm offset.

Reactions: TT
Yes it fits. Stock secondary. Offset is the same. Didn’t have to adjust. I’m set at 61mm offset.
Thanks - just the info I was looking for! What torque specs did you use when you installed the Viper clutch - viper og sidewinder specs?

Last edited:
Nice info.

Wow 5gr is a lot I never thought a result like that! It means that old c'utch work much more freely if I understand well? Now i wanna try it this winter.:)

The reason the Winder clutch takes less weight for same RPM, is the pivot point center being moved further out from the old Yamaha clutch. With the weights further out like that, they generate more shift force using less actual weight.

I've never seen or heard of a Winder clutch actually exploding or going boom on the Winder. I have seen however a HH or HH style of weight breaking at the threads on the weight and blowing pieces of the clutch away after it slams past the roller from being too short or actually breaking, no fault of the clutch in an instance like that.

Reactions: TT
Just asking, why does the team primary clutch on AC not break belts? Same motor ,same stub shaft, how could it be all these thing said above?

Back