• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change,Front frame removal and starter removal Pics

After reading these posts i feel pretty accomplished. At the age of 17 i must say that Ive rebuilt 2 skidoo 500 motors from the ground up and always done my own oil changes and plugs on my phazer as well as tracks and any other maintenance, my sled hasn't seen the dealership since i bought it. but i do intend to work on snowmobiles and outboards professionally after i graduate this year IM PUMPED!

I have torn town a phazer to every last nut and bolt. I do mean it there was just the tunnel left. Then after the I rebuild it ground up to a new one.

okay - so test the starter, I did, and it turns fine. My bolts are still in and tight, I think I put about 12 pounds on them and they wouldn't break.

I did notice that the little protrusions on the gear end of the starter are not exactly aligned, the left edge of the green line lines up with the right edge of the protrusion. is this enough to cause a problem?

My starting issue went like this: slow to turn over, couple no starts that turned into starts after a few minutes, then the endless turning over which started one last time, and now all I get is a click when I key the machine. So the front end is off, oil gone, starter out and it doesn't appear that there's anything wrong with my starter. Perhaps I'll go looking for starter relay Q and A.

Hopefully someone in the know sees this and has an answer!

Thanks TY

if stater was still tight and worked before I would start with electrical stupid question but what is the battery like? slow to turn then no start sounds like loosing connection.

my starter has been fine for the 2 and a half seasons i have owned the sled. any reason i should go and examine the bolts? can i tighten them anyway without taking off the front end?

You will only be able to tighten one of them with it on the engine. You might even have trouble getting at that one, too. Mine was also fine for 2 seasons, then took a dump. Battery took a crap this year.

It can be done by cutting off a tab on the engine. It serves no purpose other than possibly for when the engine is on the workbench or for another application (motorcycle?). I cut mine off since I don't need to pull the front end for anything else.

sparkysask said:
does anyone have pictures of the mysterious green line and protrusions?

4stroke-4ever

Here's a picture. It's not very clear but it gives the idea. The protrusions are circled in red and the green line is near the top of the picture.

JP

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 702
Sure looks spun to me.Sometimes those bolts sandwiching it together get corroded and sieze in starter so they just seem tight.Some have broken these loosening them so be careful and a bit of PB Blaster soaked overnight should free them.One way you might be able to confirm its spun is mount the mounting tabs in vice and see if you can spin the center section.

Sorry JP10 thought you were sparkysack who was wondering if his was okay.Sparky yours sounds like a bad connection or battery.Load test battery.

Just wanted to say thanks, I need to pretty much rebuild my phazer front end after I save enough money for the trips this winter. This helps so much!

Anyone know where these bolts might belong? I had to take a 2 day break from the starter removal project and these were laying with the starter. I don't want to get this thing back together and have these laying on the bench! Damn it!

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 237
Anyone know where these bolts might belong? I had to take a 2 day break from the starter removal project and these were laying with the starter. I don't want to get this thing back together and have these laying on the bench! Damn it!
Are those the ones that hold the pivots in front for steering rack on? Allens also hold fitting on bottom of oil tank on.

Are those the ones that hold the pivots in front for steering rack on? Allens also hold fitting on bottom of oil tank on.

Pivots? Not sure where that would be. They do look just like the Allen head bolts that hold the 90 degree elbow onto the oil tank.

Back