• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Filled Air Box

xtcman

Extreme
I just bought a 06 Rage with 1200 miles. Everything was Very clean under the hood. After riding only 10 miles I noticed oil dripping. I opened everything up and found the air box filled with oil. Afted doing a search I thounght I better check for pinched lines. When I removed the air box a 1/2 cup of oil spilled out of the breather line. I opened uo the oil seperator and found that 1/2 full of milky oil. I checked the oil before riding and it was ok. Now it is down 1/2 court. The parts inside the seperator seem to be distorted. There were no lines pinched.

Attachments

• DSC01333.JPG
    DSC01333.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01334.JPG
    DSC01334.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 138

I just checked with the previous owner and found that the sled was severly flooded just before I bought it. All the oil smells like gas. Would gas cause the parts to distort and plug the drain hole in the oil seperator? All the parts in the seperator have a fuzzy coating on them.

Looks like it was under water from what is in the jar.
I would drain the oil to see if it is milky as well from what I can see in your pics.

I talked to a plastics engineer and found out what the intake box was made of. It is not compatible with gas and caused it to melt down. The fuzzy stuff is fiberglass breaking down. I changed the oil and installed a new air box. Rode 130 miles the other day and all is fine.

make sure that the hose circled is connected - if not, then you will suck oil into the airbox.

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 161

Back