• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OIL leak!!

Jon which secondary spring are you now running and having problem with? Do you have Dalton orange/blk,i have it,and want to give it a try once my skid is all set,dale said it has less pressure because of its 5 coils vrs the tpi 4 coil orange,saids same as stock as far as wind goes,maybe give it a try at 6/1 for 70.
I will pm you as we are getting off subject on this post quit a bit.
Dan read your post and I agree with it. But honestly it's just not working for my set up. Back to stocker spring. I'm DONE with the two tried.

IMG_0503.JPG
Updated my by pass. I know most are running a loop. I off trail NEVER and see no issue with not having a loop. I know some will argue. That's fine. I prefer the hose placement on mine going off the other side compared to most
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG

What I like about this idea and Rockerdans first set up with the T is if your hose down near your foot freezes and pressure builds up the stock valve should open and work like the stock set up. The only way you will have a back up of pressure and the oil tank seal blowing is if both the hose and valve freeze at the same time.

What I like about this idea and Rockerdans first set up with the T is if your hose down near your foot freezes and pressure builds up the stock valve should open and work like the stock set up. The only way you will have a back up of pressure and the oil tank seal blowing is if both the hose and valve freeze at the same time.
Just cut the end on angle, I did that and its a oval hole very hard to freeze that. If you cut it off square maybe thats why his froze? I think Knapp cut his like I did.

Anything is possible, but I have been good so far.

I may even loop it down the front down to bellypan....then there is not two hoses on one side making more room. And just let it drip out the bottom of pan.

something I notice. Look into your venting 2 of them towards the roll over valve. Tons of cold air hitting this valve? I know it's damn warm in that area but still. I'm betting in sub zero temps that valve is bitched. One huge symptom I saw my sled and another member is how shitty the sled idles when the roll over valve is not working. It's amazing how smooth these motors idle when that POS is bypassed.

Man that really blows! i gotta say, this really looks bad on yamaha right now and it's all in the build process. The more these little problems keep popping up the more it emphasizes the need for yamaha to take their tags off these sleds or step up to the plate and put some quality control in place! I have to admit, i just got the call to go pick mine up a couple days ago and at this point i'm hesitating because i'm not sure i want the aggravations preventing me from riding when i get little time to do so. Hell, we're less than 2 months from the next sowcheck! Maybe that RR skid will be on the 50th! NOT! LOL!
Hopefully Yammie makes good on this for you and hits you with some new riding gear of your choice for your troubles! Again this is real bad optics and they have to start on damage control and if not it's a big FU.
Thanks for posting Jonlafon, i have been on here constantly getting informed with your posts and many others.....too many to list, in hopes things get worked out on these beasts.
I really feel for this guy, yamaha is not what it use to be, over the years they may have needed some tweaking but build wise they were always #1 for reliability and best quality finished machine. I am brand loyal, have a garage full of Yamaha's Motorcycles, atv's utv, and have owned over 25 yamaha snowmobiles from back to 84 Vmax 540. Have a new Sidewinder with 600 miles on and although the motor runs very strong overall the sled is piss poor product for $fifteen thousand. I have had all kinds of loose parts, antifreeze drip from front heat exchanger hose, antifreeze leak from front of motor, screwing with clutching, the stock skis suck, had to buy doo skis, I have an SE so my suspension needed all kind of work, just changed the oil for the first time, pain in the #*$&@, no thought on design here, oil tank drain is a joke, its no apex design. I have never wrenched so much on a sled that i have only rode 2 weekends on and it was brand new!!! I am going to Maine next week and i hope the damn thing stays together, i might have to ride it 700 miles without pulling it in the garage for an over haul.

I really feel for this guy, yamaha is not what it use to be, over the years they may have needed some tweaking but build wise they were always #1 for reliability and best quality finished machine. I am brand loyal, have a garage full of Yamaha's Motorcycles, atv's utv, and have owned over 25 yamaha snowmobiles from back to 84 Vmax 540. Have a new Sidewinder with 600 miles on and although the motor runs very strong overall the sled is piss poor product for $fifteen thousand. I have had all kinds of loose parts, antifreeze drip from front heat exchanger hose, antifreeze leak from front of motor, screwing with clutching, the stock skis suck, had to buy doo skis, I have an SE so my suspension needed all kind of work, just changed the oil for the first time, pain in the #*$&@, no thought on design here, oil tank drain is a joke, its no apex design. I have never wrenched so much on a sled that i have only rode 2 weekends on and it was brand new!!! I am going to Maine next week and i hope the damn thing stays together, i might have to ride it 700 miles without pulling it in the garage for an over haul.
I had a 2006 Apex and bought into all the Yamaha high quality hype. Well where do I start. First the rear suspension could not be greased because all the grease zerks were not fully welded in place and all the grease just came out where the zerk was supposed to be welded. The rear suspension was also painted silver and rusted horribly in the first year. The bearings in the rear suspension were part of the wheel so rather than re pack the bearings you had to buy new wheels. The rear suspension cracked in a few places and had to be welded with reinforcing plates. All the bushings in the front A arm suspension were shot in the first year. The exhaust donuts would wear to the point of destroying the Y pipe and were a nightmare to replace. Oil tanks were cracking. Oh and would you believe the ski's were junk and I had to put pilot ski's on it. changing the oil and filter was a huge pain in the butt and the relays would freeze on really cold days and you couldn't start the sled. The adjuster for the mono shock would break because of ice build up. The hyfax wore out very quickly. What am I missing? I know I forgot a few things. All that being said I enjoyed my Apex and felt it was a very reliable sled. Now I could say the same for my 2008 Nytro but I couldn't say I enjoyed that sled.

I had a 2006 Apex and bought into all the Yamaha high quality hype. Well where do I start. First the rear suspension could not be greased because all the grease zerks were not fully welded in place and all the grease just came out where the zerk was supposed to be welded. The rear suspension was also painted silver and rusted horribly in the first year. The bearings in the rear suspension were part of the wheel so rather than re pack the bearings you had to buy new wheels. The rear suspension cracked in a few places and had to be welded with reinforcing plates. All the bushings in the front A arm suspension were shot in the first year. The exhaust donuts would wear to the point of destroying the Y pipe and were a nightmare to replace. Oil tanks were cracking. Oh and would you believe the ski's were junk and I had to put pilot ski's on it. changing the oil and filter was a huge pain in the butt and the relays would freeze on really cold days and you couldn't start the sled. The adjuster for the mono shock would break because of ice build up. The hyfax wore out very quickly. What am I missing? I know I forgot a few things. All that being said I enjoyed my Apex and felt it was a very reliable sled. Now I could say the same for my 2008 Nytro but I couldn't say I enjoyed that sled.
I did not have an 06 so cant comment on that year but i did and still do have a 07 apex attack still keep it around for for girlfriend kid to ride once in a while. other than exhaust gaskets changed once with Ulmers and front end bushings once to bronze bushings, not another problem. sled still looks great with 10,000 miles on it!!! no suspension rust. I also had 09 apex with zero problems, two 2011's SE and XTX put over 5,000 trouble free miles on each my last before Sidewinder was a 2012 XTX 7500 miles and sled ran perfect. put 4500 miles on stock belt. it was nice to remove the side panel and the oil tank was fully exposed, drain the oil in a pan and done. now i drain the oil into the side panel that dont come off and make a mess. with 5 apex's and near 30,000 miles between them all not many part failures in a lot of miles. they were quality built.

I did not have an 06 so cant comment on that year but i did and still do have a 07 apex attack still keep it around for for girlfriend kid to ride once in a while. other than exhaust gaskets changed once with Ulmers and front end bushings once to bronze bushings, not another problem. sled still looks great with 10,000 miles on it!!! no suspension rust. I also had 09 apex with zero problems, two 2011's SE and XTX put over 5,000 trouble free miles on each my last before Sidewinder was a 2012 XTX 7500 miles and sled ran perfect. put 4500 miles on stock belt. it was nice to remove the side panel and the oil tank was fully exposed, drain the oil in a pan and done. now i drain the oil into the side panel that dont come off and make a mess. with 5 apex's and near 30,000 miles between them all not many part failures in a lot of miles. they were quality built.
I did some great riding on my Apex. Two of the three best trips I ever took were on my Apex and the other was on my Sidewinder. I never complained about my Apex and never missed any riding because of issues. Every sled I ever owned took some kind of work to make it the way I liked and keep it trouble free.

Reactions: JPS

Back