• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ok, need some help here...

Goody_1000

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX
Have a friend with 2006 Apex, 8000 miles on it. OK, problem is this, when cold, sitting overnight, is a real bear to start. Even have to hook up jumper cables to it for it to spin fast enough to start. On straight battery, will pop over here and there, but not fire off. Once warmed up, is fine for rest of the day, even after sitting 30-45 mins. What could it be? Only happens when sitting overnight, or an extended period of time. Like I said, once fired up, we ride, stop here and there, it always fires back up. Spark plugs where just changed, still does it.

PLEASE HELP! Trails opening here in next day or so!

Thanks.

Let me expand here...even with jumper cables on it, spinning over fast, when cold, it still is a bear. But like I said, once its been ran for a while, it fires up, but sometimes it fires up reluctantly, gotta spin it over a bit before it goes.

Need some ideas folks. Thanks.

Goody, you beat me to the help post.

This is my dad's sled. To add to the info, the battery spins it over like normal until you crank for a while and it starts to wear down. Battery is 2.5 years old.

We also replaced the kill switch and TPS sensor. No change after that.

The fuel pump runs like normal when the key is turned on before cranking and you can hear the fuel moving around in the tank. Have tried cycling the key a few times before cranking and that doesn't help. Fresh 91 and have ran some 2+4 fuel system cleaner through it this year as well as some iso-heat.

Brand new cr10ek plugs gapped to .018. Old plugs were black. My dad didnt listen to me when I told him not to start it over the summer and did so 8-10 times last summer. While the plug change didn't help the starting issue, they were worth changing.

Been reading for a couple days and haven't found a solution yet.

Don't run 91 octane, that makes it harder to start. Your CR10k plug is also a colder spark plug meaning as far as I understand that the spark is optimized to run at a cooler temperature and should be used under hotter ambient temperature conditions. A CR9 or 8 will run optimally hotter and will work better in colder weather. That is what I understand and could have this backwards but several sites lead me to think that this should be the case.

http://www.kartbook.net/forum/topics/hot-or-cold-spark-plug-for-extreme-hot-or-cold-weather

Both of these things will make it hard to start. I am in the same boat, my attak won't start when cold. Changing a few things this weekend and checking all of the connections. The starter relay was floating in some kind of oil and now is bad but that isn't the real problem either. I have been told stator and/or pulsar coil by a few people that have had multiple apex's of the same vintage. Set to test those and swap if needed this weekend.

GL

How long has he owned the sled? Did this problem just start? I did some reading as well on it bored and interested. This is what I found. Replace plugs and fuel, cycle fuel pump 2 to three times on cold start before starting.
How is the exhaust system does engines stall when put your hands on ends with rags?

How long has he owned the sled? Did this problem just start? I did some reading as well on it bored and interested. This is what I found. Replace plugs and fuel, cycle fuel pump 2 to three times on cold start before starting.
How is the exhaust system does engines stall when put your hands on ends with rags?
This is the 4th winter he has owned it. Has put about 4k miles on it himself. This is the first season he has had this issue. We did the exhaust gaskets last year. I did not check them recently but the sled runs great, no backfiring or anything once it' started. I've done all the rest of those things to no avail.

Don't run 91 octane, that makes it harder to start. Your CR10k plug is also a colder spark plug meaning as far as I understand that the spark is optimized to run at a cooler temperature and should be used under hotter ambient temperature conditions. A CR9 or 8 will run optimally hotter and will work better in colder weather. That is what I understand and could have this backwards but several sites lead me to think that this should be the case.

http://www.kartbook.net/forum/topics/hot-or-cold-spark-plug-for-extreme-hot-or-cold-weather

Both of these things will make it hard to start. I am in the same boat, my attak won't start when cold. Changing a few things this weekend and checking all of the connections. The starter relay was floating in some kind of oil and now is bad but that isn't the real problem either. I have been told stator and/or pulsar coil by a few people that have had multiple apex's of the same vintage. Set to test those and swap if needed this weekend.

GL
I read through the cr10ek thread from the faq section and they are a colder plug. That said we replaced the plugs when we did the exhaust last year with the cr10ek and didnt experience any issue starting. We just replaced them again as I was hoping that would be the issue, but no, that would be too simple.

As for the 91 octane, that is what he has ran in it ever since he bought it and have never had an issue. Don't understand why that would suddenly cause an issue.

Last edited:
Also to add, the heater was on in the shop last night for a good hour while finishing up plug install, so it was probably 45*ish when we tried starting it this time. So I don't think air temperature has much to do with it either.

This is the 4th winter he has owned it. Has put about 4k miles on it himself. This is the first season he has had this issue. We did the exhaust gaskets last year. I did not check them recently but the sled runs great, no backfiring or anything once it' started. I've done all the rest of those things to no avail.

I read through the cr10ek thread from the faq section and they are a colder plug. That said we replaced the plugs when we did the exhaust last year with the cr10ek and didn't experience any issue starting. We just replaced them again as I was hoping that would be the issue, but no, that would be too simple.

As for the 91 octane, that is what he has ran in it ever since he bought it and have never had an issue. Don' understand why tgat would suddenly cause an issue.

Yes, plug heat ranges are the opposite of their intended use. In normal operations 10 won't make that much difference but when the sled is having problems they might add to the problem. The 91 octane is the same. There are lots of reports of people having starting issues who ended up swapping stators, probably to swap the pulsar coil as Yamaha only sells them together. The stators test okay-ish but replacing them fixed their issue. I have done all of the same things you have as well (check run switch, replace plugs, swap to newer red relays, etc) and it really hasn't made any difference. The sled will start once in awhile and like yours it runs like a top once it gets going.

Back