• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phantom oil leak

TD Max

Lifetime Member
Most of my starts this season have been from inside heated shop. Recently I moved it outside. One time I started at -21°f as a test and ran up to operating temp. I don't know that I took it out after that. I do know that I moved it to a different spot outside. The other day I started it and brought it in for some maintenance. I noticed after it had sat for a while that it had leaked oil. The oil leak was not huge, but it spread quite a bit. Today I took a look and could not find any oil any place other than the filter access plate so I removed the plate and found a drip hanging on the filter. Nothing any place else. Wiped it up and started the engine and no sign of leak. Ran to 190°+ and got the filter hat to touch and still no leak. About 2k total on sled. First oil change done a couple seasons ago.

Did you check to make sure oil filter and drain plug are tight?

Did you check to see if the old filter "O" ring is not under the new filter??

In the heated shop it won’t leak but I bet on a cold start after sitting out it pushed some oil past the filter seal. Combination of thicker oil and slightly shrunk up filter seal due to the cold. Just sang the filter up and clean off the leakage. Just another 4 stroke trait.

No issues with double seal this was changed at least 3 seasons ago and I always wipe the mating surface and visually check. I think Yamajon is onto something. I did try to move it cold and horsed it a bit after a cold start outside. Normally I wait for the warning and this time I tried to cheat. I checked and everything else is clean and dry. I suppose I could put a wrench on it but it sure seems pretty tight already.

I think you have oil leaking out your air box drain at the front of the sled. It drips on the inside chassis and comes out where ever it can. I have found that this is caused by too high an oil level in the oil tank. I have found that the dip stick NORMAL calibration is like 2" too high. SO the air being fed into the tank by the scavange pump blows the oil up through the seperator and into the air box through the air vent tube.

So if you look at the side of the tank, you will see a casting mark circle about the diameter of a quarter. This is where the sight glass was on 14 and 15 Cats. The top of that circle is max oil height. Now hold your dip stick beside the tank and see where the top of the casting circle is compared to the dip stick. I think the correct oil height is about 1/2" up from the bottom of the dipstick.

I have a 15 XF7000 with the sight glass and my son has a 17 with a dipstick. I assume the Viper dipsticks are the same. I have seen lots of oil in my trailer from his sled after it goes for a run. The oil is low so more gets added and it repeats. My 15 has never had this happen since the sight glass is much lower and I only fill to the top of the glass.

Back