• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pin'd driveshaft with bearing fix

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
Saw this mentioned sometime last year and I had it bookmark'd but now I can't find it. Basically they pinned the driveshaft and then cut a small slot in the bearing. I believe they also welded and lathed the shaft of any worn down spots.

It was a dealer out on the east coast that offered the service.

Saw this mentioned sometime last year and I had it bookmark'd but now I can't find it. Basically they pinned the driveshaft and then cut a small slot in the bearing. I believe they also welded and lathed the shaft of any worn down spots.

It was a dealer out on the east coast that offered the service.

Franks Motorcycle
120 Centre Road
Essex Junction
VT, USA
802 878 3930
Ask for Kamran Peckey

You send them your shaft, they spray weld it, and bring the tolerances back up.
They will pin the shaft and key the bearing.

PM if you have more questions.
MS

I had DMS machine in Little Falls do it for me if your looking for someplace not so far. Talk to Rick.

How has the machined bearing been lasting?

I just heard of this process last season, so it will likely to take a few seasons to hear some details. I see no reason why it wont produce identical km's to the stock set up.
MS
generally speaking, bearing manufacturers use the least amount of steel in that area that they can get away with, (minimum thickness coincides with minimum cost) and there is no strength top spare. That is one of the reasons they polish the area to a mirror finish. Also the heat treated components of the bearing are very sensitive to fatigue. This was told to me by an engineer, so i am curious to how well it lasts.

generally speaking, bearing manufacturers use the least amount of steel in that area that they can get away with, (minimum thickness coincides with minimum cost) and there is no strength top spare. That is one of the reasons they polish the area to a mirror finish. Also the heat treated components of the bearing are very sensitive to fatigue. This was told to me by an engineer, so i am curious to how well it lasts.
I rode a full season last year( 1,500 miles)with this repair,with no issues.less than the cost of a new drive shaft.post #2 of this thread has contact info.see thread #11 on this subject for the updated repair from BOP

Attachments

• 725A988A-E549-4CDF-A43F-E9E5D655F952.jpeg
    725A988A-E549-4CDF-A43F-E9E5D655F952.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to machine a few around here for spares. I'm thinking that as long as I can keep the keyway tight on the pin, I should be ok. Probably throw some green stuff on there as well. I could see if the keyway was a bit loose, it would shear off the pin from accelerating and deceleration

the width of the slot was with in .001 to ..002 larger in width than the pin for easier assy. No longer needed the BOP shaft saver, he can sell you the slotted bearing that he uses with that repair.Around $40 and is upgraded from stock

After 2 full seasons, and 3k miles,I checked my anti rotation pin.It was worn to the point that it was almost peened over and I decided, while apart ,to update this repair with the BOP new concept lower driveshaft bear.Best $160. You will spend while using your same lower driveshaft.I now have close to 10 k on my original lower shaft.This updated repair I have monitored this past season, with no issues.Just be sure to add locktite on the 3 set screws at final assy

Last edited:
After 2 full seasons, and 3k miles,I checked my anti rotation pin.It was worn to the point that it was almost peeled over and I decided, while apart ,to update this repair with the BOP new concept lower driveshaft bearing repair..Best $160. you will spend ,while using your same lower driveshaft. The remaining part of the pin was ground flush to the surface of the shaft and the debris shield was cut off the shaft.I have close to 10 k on my original lower shaft currently.This updated repair I have monitored this past season with no issues.Just be sure to add locktite on the 3 set screws at final assy when installing.

ents​

• 2CE94985-E7E1-405F-889E-5A1002F51BC3.jpeg
    2CE94985-E7E1-405F-889E-5A1002F51BC3.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 3A51A499-F086-4741-A65F-5B70B6632A43.jpeg
    3A51A499-F086-4741-A65F-5B70B6632A43.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 38

Last edited:

Back