• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Please Help! Phazer vs ZR580

I owned both a 95 ZR580 and a 97 EXT 580 EFI. Really they are the same exact sled other than suspension. If I remember correctly the EXT might be a bit heavier too. Either way I agree with others, the phazer will win a sprint 0-60, but will not win a long top end race.

My old Formula Plus 521 was good for around 100, maybe more, top end. A stock phazer will not do this. Cat 580's should be faster on top by a fair amount.

580ZR are a piston port motor. A hole in and a hole out. Very poor low end but pull hard from 7500-8600 RPM. 40MM carbs or EFI. There are two types of 580's, a 3 port exhaust and a 1or2 port exhaust. All ZR's have the 3 port exhaust and have a HP of 99-103 I think. The 1or2 port exhaust was used in some later EXT's, pantera's for better lowend and higher MPG. I think thoses were in the 93-95HP range. There were some earlier years the 3 port exhaust was used in other models other then the ZR.
Up to 60 I think the Phazer will pull it. After that I think the 580 will walk away. The tracks were only like 3/4" deep.

PAvector

Well, the boys had 'er today. The nephew took him out with his dad's 05' RX1 first and gave him a few good whoopings to take the cockiness out of him LOL. We sat around and talked for awhile and the nephew let him take the RX1 for a spin and he came back grinning from ear to ear! The nephew then took the RX1 back to get the Phazer.
I stood at the end of the runway with the radar, first pass the Phazer was ahead by 2 lengths at 83mph and the Cat closing fast [unable to get a read on both] but ran out of room.
2nd pass had the Phazer ahead by 1/2 length , I clocked the Cat at 89mph but again was unable to get a reading on both the Cat and the Phazer.
3rd pass I went to the starting line, the Phazer pulled the Cat by roughly 6 lengths right off the start, the Cat really had trouble getting traction and had to play catch up. The boys both agreed the Phazer was ahead by 1 length but the Cat was closing in until they ran out of room.
We then did a few radar runs, Phazer doing a best of 87.5mph and the Cat's best at 93.75mph
They are going to try and get the Cat to hook up better and want to try it again, by then the studs should be in for the Phazer so I suspect the outcome will be the same. At least there is one Cat guy that has new respect for Yammies!
I'll keep ya posted on the outcome of the next race.
Thanks for all your help guys! ;)!

I am impressed, I really didn't think the Phazer would have the beans. Mine doesn't seem that strong (my Attak distorts perceptions) but it only has 76 miles on it.

Mongo 1 said:
I am impressed, I really didn't think the Phazer would have the beans. Mine doesn't seem that strong (my Attak distorts perceptions) but it only has 76 miles on it.
The Phazer has a little over 1100 miles on it now, not sure what the Cat has, as the speedo didn't work.
The air strip that they were racing on is very hard packed snow, 1600ft long and slops down hill. The Phazer's best run going up was of 81.31mph.
I really doubt the Phazer could have held off the EXT if they were both using studs but it did pretty good for itself with both sleds running the stock tracks.

Back