• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Powder jacks

Who's jack is the best?

• Powder Jack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snowjack

• Highlifter

• Total voters

karlburns

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 apex xtx
2010 vector ltx gt
I'm looking for something like a powder jack for getting unstuck? I've never needed one until this past weekend, we landed a sled sideways in a partially frozen stream with 5 ft banks on both sides. Fought trying to get it out for over an hour before a group of guys stumbled past and was able to flag them down. Had they not come the sled would have stayed there until the next day and the water was getting deeper from us tearing up the snow.

I've been stuck before to where it sucked but I knew after an hour of digging with the shovel I'd get out. This was literally #*$&@ creek with no paddles. When sled landed sideways one of the skis was under the bank so the only way to get it out was lifting the front end straight up after rolling it to one side. Not an easy task in these sleds certainly not doable with two people in the situation.

Input from anyone is appreciated.

No one has any input on these? I know I found some several year old posts on here but know that all of them have a "new improved " version recently.

I have heard of people carrying a portable come along with them. Thats a good option if you have trees or other suitable anchoring points. I carry a rattler which all my friends have come to love.

Last edited:
I've never owned one or use one personally but have seen them in use and have a friend that rode with guys that used them. By all reports they work well and often are an easy way to get on the move again. The only real issue/concern was the extra weight and the issue of mounting the pole to the sled for transport. Now that one company is making a segmented pole the mounting issue should be less of an issue. I've often contemplated one especially since much of my riding is with my wife and daughter so when someone gets buried my manpower is a little lacking.

Thought about that. I wish I had taken a photo of the situation we were in this past weekend. Imagine your in a field with nothing in view for a mile. Now add a 5 foot deep trench that is just wide enough to fit the snowmachine in on its side. Now imagine theres a tree root that the bottom ski managed to squeeze under as you laid it over. Now add a foot of water in that trench...........

We had a tow rope and could not get the thing to move more then an inch.

It took two men lifting the front up out of the water, rotating the ski, while 4 other men pulled on the tow strap to drag the sled up the bank.

That would have been a tough stuck regardless of what you had with you.

Tough with a jack absolutely but it would have given us an option to jack it up and shovel snow under it little by little until we got it up. My concern is the jack buckling under these heavy 4 strokes.

Back