• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pre 2011 apex versus the 800 Etec?

KnappAttack said:
Here is a prediction, The Yamaha will not run with The CFR 800 or the 800 etec at the shootout. It will be a distant third.

The Pre-Production Apex dynoed at 163 HP after over 1500 miles put on it. We all know they take alot of miles before they start to run good. Get one there with a couple thousand mile on it and it COULD be a different story.

I bet the production Apex doesn't crack over 160. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. Who's to say the pre-pros aren't ringers with timing jacked in them or extra compression ect.? Makes for good sales.

Cat's known for cheating so the Apex just may come in second.

sj said:
Riceburner said:
Exactly.

I have no interest in a " Nervous and Darty" to quote Mr Lester beach ball sled with a motor that will not likely see 5,000 miles. I'm a Flatlander Trail Rider.

That being said a good friend of mine loves his XP 800 far more than my Apex even though he blew his 08 XP 800 up in 4500 miles and is not sure whether his 2010 will make 5,000.

Mind you he did buy my Supercharged RX 1 from me this fall because he knew no Ski Doo on the trail in our area could come close to touching it for the price.

He also got the same amount resale as I did for my 5 year old Apex GT for a 2 year old XP 800 with a new 0 mile crate motor. Ouch.

To each his own.

Oh yeah, and Like Turk I am not expecting my 2011 Apex to beat a 2011 E-Tech 800 in less than 1,000 feet, stock for stock.

:Rockon:

I bleed blue ...but nervous and darty wouldnt be how Id decribe the new doo..I believe lester said of old as it was some of the previous doo's...but lets call a spade a spade..more yams with handling issues and darting than doo by a longshot...

as to the miles...on the doo 800's of old...seems to me ...you boys to the north have more motor issues...and Ive been told its your fuel..we all know the yams are rock solid dependable motors...the rest of the sleds need work...in contrast....In MIchigan here...I keep running into 800 doo owners which have 7k miles on a stock untouched motor...and we all know they need a lot less tweaking on the periphial's....the apex with that kind of miles had a laundry list of needs and repairs (but yes never the motor)..and that list when thinking of it required more effort than a fresh set of pistons and some crank bearings..maybe

and as to resale value...again around here...it was unbelievable how high the xp X package sleds were going for...believe me ...I tried to buy a used on to play with and the money was wayyy higher than the apex's...

dont get me wrong...I still think the apex motor is the smoothest and sweetest groomed trail motor in the business...

again...watch the video..and try to picture ride like that on those trails with an apex..

It's not the fuel..... Do you not think ski-doo would calibrate for the added ethonal? They have.... My U.S. dealer has had more issues with 600 and 800 motors, then the dealer on my side.... The issue is the iso-flex bearing in the bottom end. It's a seal iso-flex geased bearing. It's days are numbered. It's still the same crank that has been used for the past 10 years. The series III motor is not the same as the old rotary valve. Cats laydown 2 strokes are three times the motor, since ski-doo has came out with the series 3 motor. So why can't DOO make them last as long as the CAT? ISO-flex greased crank bearing that's why...

I think rocketman is correct. If you are running alot of 50-90+ mph smooth trails, the Apex is king.. If you are running 30-80mph rougher trails, with alot more twisties, then the Etec would be good. Having said this, I do really like the new etec 800R, but the bottom line is that I'm still not convinced of it's durability.l Good luck or your new 800R etec.

jaydaniels said:
New Apex Dynos at around 163hp. New 800 ETEC is coming in around 164hp. ETEC is much lighter but the Apex has a much broader torque range. I'd say it will be close.
The new apex did not dyno at 163 stock,that was what d&d did with 6 bullseyes and some other minor tweaking,at the snowshoot out it made 151 hp stock,but it can make 163 preety easy.

ok...Ive spent my coin....and Ive determined...the 800 etec is a toy...it doesnt hold a candle to the apex where it counts....a substantial quality piece...sure the 100 lbs less makes it a tight race...those doo guys can think about that while their motor goes.....tic....tic...tic...boom.. cuz its a ticking time bomb!

sj said:
ok...Ive spent my coin....and Ive determined...the 800 etec is a toy...it doesnt hold a candle to the apex where it counts....a substantial quality piece...sure the 100 lbs less makes it a tight race...those doo guys can think about that while their motor goes.....tic....tic...tic...boom.. cuz its a ticking time bomb!

Let's hear more SJ.. What are all the pro's and con's

its difficult to go from fourstroke to 2...regardless of the supposed technology...the 800 etec is still an 800 xp with a sophisticated fuel injection system...
that means it comes with the isoflex crank bearings...
to me this alone makes this a disposable motor...the fact they are using so much oil (which stinks terribly btw) and arent even spraying any on the crank bearings...makes this an expensive sled

sj said:
its difficult to go from fourstroke to 2...regardless of the supposed technology...the 800 etec is still an 800 xp with a sophisticated fuel injection system...
that means it comes with the isoflex crank bearings...
to me this alone makes this a disposable motor...the fact they are using so much oil (which stinks terribly btw) and arent even spraying any on the crank bearings...makes this an expensive sled
Absolutely,my 08 800xpx was near the point of crank bearing failure,at 2700 miles,thats part of the reason i dumped it,and got back on an apex,than sunk that puppy and on to try the 4 stroke offering form poo,well now its on its way out,and back on a yammi again,back to the 06 apexgt,with :jump: smiles on my face,dont ley any one tell you how great the ride of a dragon is,cause it sucks,at least the fst with there version of air shocks does.

I just dont understand that.I rode with 2 Doo 800's again yesterday.They burn alot of oil at speed and it is noticable if behind them.Almost seemed to be more than older 2strokes.So why do they seal those bearings?These same sleds at idle dont seem to burn any oil.I think the EPA must test pollution at a certain load or rpm and they are limiting oil at just that test range.Really is a shame the hoops the manufactures have to jump through.

no doubt ALL the makers know the ranges of testing and tune to it!

the etec...

two different deliveries...idle is stratified vs high speed homogeneous....

stratified , basically high pressure to fire evenly at each cycle whereas it could take a few cycles for a traditional two stroke to fire...thereby blowing out a good deal of charge..
this precise.metering and firing allows much less fuel to be used and wasted... i e emissions...

the high speed generates the most heat...requires the most fuel...and loses some of this precision ...
therefore IMHO the greatest emissions benefit is from idle to mid speed....

Yeah the 800 etec isn't good on oil, or that great on fuel either. On average I got about 100 miles per quart of oil, sometimes less when riding really hard. For fuel I got about 13 miles per gallon, usually, but if I rode it a little "nicer" I would get 15 to 16 easily. I almost always used less fuel than my friends 06 attak when we rode together, sometimes a gallon less, sometimes 1/10 of a gallon less.

I switched to amsoil interceptor and I'm much happier with the smell. That ski doo oil stinks bad, but now I don't notice anything.

This is the perfect sled for me tho. 0 to 80 its a rocket, its light, it handles about 10x better than the nytro its replacing. I don't do top speed runs, I don't drag race and I rarely see over 100 miles per hour so I don't care about any of that. Corner to corner and through the fields it really shines, and it loves the bumps. Off trail its more capable than the 136 nytro... and when I do get stuck I can actually lift it.

I'm well aware of the crank bearing problems, which is why I spent the money on the warranty, but until the motor blows up I absolutely love it. And I don't have to change the oil at the end of the season!

How is that Z1 turbo SJ?

Its still not broke in....but wow...what a ride...will need a bit of tweaking for best corner to corner...but the comfort level and pull on this sled is amazing...

sj said:
Its still not broke in....but wow...what a ride...will need a bit of tweaking for best corner to corner...but the comfort level and pull on this sled is amazing...

You going to leave it stock for this year?

What pitch are those new tracks on the cat? Still 2.52?

Back