• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary clutch failure

No its not stock. The weights have been changed.

Bolt fell out of the roller. Same issue some others have had. So either nuts falling off of bolt breaking, could be either one.
just the nut fell off i found the bolt and nut when i took off the panel roller rolled off

Anyone looking to have their clutch serviced, worked on or even a replacement clutch.

Thunder Products Clutching now has a facility that will work on your clutches to bring them back to new condition or even get you a new clutch. We even sell the new Pro-4 Accelerator trail clutch which is working very well out there!
Business Card.jpg

Had this happen Saturday AM. Yes, my bolts are installed per factory. After I get this fixed, they will be corrected. EVERYONE... needs to inspect their primary. 1500 miles. Rollers, pins and pin bolts need constant attention. Sliced up my secondary sheave too.

View attachment 145813

It's DEJA VU all over again!

Guys, take your time when servicing these clutches. No excuses. Hand tighten these bolts, check everything twice. If you are not familiar with hand tightening, then use a torque wrench.
Stop screaming warranty every time something like this breaks.

Guys, take your time when servicing these clutches. No excuses. Hand tighten these bolts, check everything twice. If you are not familiar with hand tightening, then use a torque wrench.
Stop screaming warranty every time something like this breaks.

Warranty issue, no.

Safety issue, definitely YES!

I've said it many times...please let your dealer know this happened. Most likely they will not warranty this....but there have been a lot of bolts and nuts just coming apart, then losing rollers.

So on the pins and the weights nut and bolt is there a correct side the the nuts go on right or left as your facing the clutch on the sled

When the weight pocket and roller are at the top of the clutch (12 o'clock position), the bolt should go in the left side and the nut on the right side.

This keeps the bolt in the clutch during rotation.

Bolt Orientation.jpg

When the weight pocket and roller are at the top of the clutch (12 o'clock position), the bolt should go in the left side and the nut on the right side.

This keeps the bolt in the clutch during rotation.

View attachment 145939
Stock they come opposite, weird yam would not put them in oriented so they would help remain in place with nut off.

Dan

Stock they come opposite, weird yam would not put them in oriented so they would help remain in place with nut off.

Dan

Trust me, whoever assembled the clutches is not thinking too clearly.

Most of the ones we work on are that way.

I had saved some of the original promo info that Yamaha released regarding the SideWinders back in 2017 and thought it was interesting to see in this diagram how they have the weight and roller bolts/nuts oriented:

Clutching 2.JPG

Hey those clutches are built for high horsepower with greater strength improved efficiency and enhanced cooling. I know this because Yamaha said so. Remember they also claim round trip reliability.

I know they all break but the problem I have with Yamaha is they just put their name on these sleds and nothing more.

What happened to the Yamaha we all knew and loved? You know the one with the best build quality and better than best reliability? Will we ever see those Yamaha's again?

Hey those clutches are built for high horsepower with greater strength improved efficiency and enhanced cooling. I know this because Yamaha said so. Remember they also claim round trip reliability.

I know they all break but the problem I have with Yamaha is they just put their name on these sleds and nothing more.

What happened to the Yamaha we all knew and loved? You know the one with the best build quality and better than best reliability? Will we ever see those Yamaha's again?
Doubt it

Not saying that this clutch couldn't have been built stronger but I still have these thoughts... Now that I have a Sidewinder myself I have been on these forums, other forums and the FB threads. I swear 9 of every 10 Sidewinders out there has a flash. That being said if they are flashed the clutches have been apart at some point. So many of these clutch explosions seem to have a common trait, the roller pin fell out, the nut came off, etc. That seems to be the common situation I am seeing. Yes premature clutch wear is also an issue and that is going to happen when you add 50-80 HP to it, not to mention the engine harmonics.

So could this clutch be built better??..... darn right! Could the annoying rattle be remedied, yes. Not saying it is perfect by any means but just trying to be realistic.

Back