• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pros and cons of the different helmet styles?

The BV2S is a no go for me. I tried one on today and it's too lose in a Large and too tight in a Medium.
Which is a bummer cause there is a dealer from Kalamazoo selling red BV2S's for $219 + $16 shipping on Ebay for anybody interested.

So now I'm starting to think I'll end up with a heated visor and an annoying cord. Oh well as long as there is snow.

i wear a modular with a heated shield so i dont need a breath deflector - much more comfortable for me.

I wear a HJC full face helmet and I have the heated shield. It seems alot of folks look down on the wire aspect of the heated shield. For me that's not the case because I only hook up the wire to the shield when the shield starts to fog over which is approx. 10% of my riding time. Now the huge positive side of plugging up the cord to the heated shield is that the heat keeps my shield from fogging up. I have yet to be unsatisfied with the fogging aspect of my heated shield.
I have looked at the SkiDoo modular helmets and really like the way the whole face shield raises up. Thats a big plus because I'm sure I wouldn't have to remove my helmet at trails stops in order to talk to my family & friends. I would buy one of the modular helmets today if I was 100% confident it would not fog. The problem is though that the dealers I talked to last year said that is some circumstances the modulars do fog.
So for now I'm keeping my HJC fog free helmet.

I use the full helmet with no breath deflector and heated shield. I open the shield on warm days. A friend of mine uses open face with a wind shield and when we get freezing drizzle his shields freeze up and they cancel the ride. After experiencing that I won't get a helmet without a heated shield.

I just got a GMax Modular with a heated shield and also has the slide down tinted shield which looks cool but not sure how functional itll be . Ive tried about half a dozen other styles which all have their good points but have all seemed to freeze up in real cold temps . This is my first heated shield and wasnt to fond of the cord idea but if it doesnt freeze up then ill deal with it . Cant beat the price either , $200 and some change for what looks to be a really good quality helmet . probably not the BRP quality but for half the cost its worth a shot . Fingers crossed since im touting a helmet I havent used yet !!!

i switched last season to a moto. Put an extra pair of goggles in my pack if needed and if the sun or clouds change - you can quickly switch to adjust. We ride some of both trails and some boondocking. The benefit of detachable googles is that if you start to fog. You can pull over and pop the hood and put them on the top of the motor... removes any fogging issues. We ride in well below zero and as someone above stated - with the deflector your fine. I still have my full helmet - but havent even considered using it since.

GMAX Modular

I have been wearing a GMax modular helmet for a couple of years. It has been nothing but a problem for me since day one. The issue I have is with the latch system freezing up. All the moisture from your breath accumulates in the locking mechanism and freezes when the helmet is left open.

A much better design would have the latch mechanism in the side of the helmet as opposed to inside the chin of the face shield.

The heated visor has also quit, so it is time to replace it with something new.

I use both Moduler 2 (with glasses) and moto style helmet with prescription goggles. Here my opinions on what I like and what I don't:
Moduler 2 pros:
1) warm
2) zero fog when wearing it properly
3) quieter
4) great visibility and quiet
5) its nice to flip it open trail side when its 20 below!
Cons:

1) expensive
2) little on the heavy side

Open Face (Motot) Pros:

1) lighter weight
2)less money (most of the time)
3) less parts less things that can break

Cons:

1) harder to insulate from extreme cold and wind
2) If you get warm, can still fog.
3) Stopping trail side for a break, talking,drinking a soda or whatever, more of a pain to take it all off when its cold out or snowing instead of fliping up the Modulaer. I.M.O

MADDOG24 said:
I use both Moduler 2 (with glasses) and moto style helmet with prescription goggles. Here my opinions on what I like and what I don't:
Moduler 2 pros:
1) warm
3) quieter
Cons:

1) expensive

Open Face (Motot) Pros:

1) lighter weight

Cons:

3) Stopping trail side for a break, talking,drinking a soda or whatever, more of a pain to take it all off when its cold out or snowing instead of fliping up the Modulaer. I.M.O

Excellent analysis!!!!

Thank you,

Mike

mntvipermn said:
MADDOG24 said:
Moduler 2 pros:
1) warm
3) quieter
Cons:

1) expensive

Open Face (Motot) Pros:

1) lighter weight

Cons:

Excellent analysis!!!!

Thank you,

Mike

x2 that's great info

Ive always had issues with fogging, probably because I was riding a 15 year old stock sled that was working me out. so I do like the electric full face models. I used to ride dirt bikes and such growing up with moto helmets in the winter months. I remember being really cold. Nowadays with the head scarfs and goggles being 20yrs better, not to mention the helmets themselves, are much better. I would be willing to give them another shot for my lower peninsula riding on the west side where it isnt as cold. But I like my current set up for Houghton/Hancock area riding.

59434_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

Re: GMAX Modular

rz500 said:
I have been wearing a GMax modular helmet for a couple of years. It has been nothing but a problem for me since day one. The issue I have is with the latch system freezing up. All the moisture from your breath accumulates in the locking mechanism and freezes when the helmet is left open.

A much better design would have the latch mechanism in the side of the helmet as opposed to inside the chin of the face shield.

The heated visor has also quit, so it is time to replace it with something new.

Duly noted !!
Ill make sure to keep my eye on that . Thanks for the heads up . what model do you have ?
I did think the modular latch was a little flimsy looking . maybe ill try to insulate the latch from the inside or something .

any suggestions for best options for riding with glasses?? I currently have both moto, and hjc modular. i hate the modular, as it is drafty, and heavy. i like the moto in warmer weather, as it is lighter, but i still fog my glasses with both, especially when i get working a little.

The mention of prescription goggles intrigues me, as it is only my glasses that fog, not the goggles themselves. where would one look for such a thing? optometrist?

thanks!

Regular soap or a antifog treatment does wonders for glasses also.

I am surprised nobody mentioned the old Lazer Star/Yamaha helmets.I have borrowed one before and ridden with many who will never wear anything else.The helmet is very long in front of face and seems to keep from fogging because shield and chin is so far away from your mouth.

cannondale27 said:
Regular soap or a antifog treatment does wonders for glasses also.

I am surprised nobody mentioned the old Lazer Star/Yamaha helmets.I have borrowed one before and ridden with many who will never wear anything else.The helmet is very long in front of face and seems to keep from fogging because shield and chin is so far away from your mouth.

I use a moto style, but still have a "wedge" style sno-force yamaha helmet. If I could find a clear shield with blue frame for it I would still use it when it gets super cold. By far the best full face helmet I have ever used!! If anyone has a shield laying around, please shoot me a pm.

Back