• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pull the trigger on a 998 or 900R?

snowman4

Extreme
I’m at the point financially to buy another sled. Adding a 4 stroke is what I’ve decided….anyone on here that has owned a Sidewinder/Thundercat/ZR9000 or a Skidoo 900R that has any input on what they like better or experienced between the two?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Hopefully next year the snow season is better. Cheers

I’m at the point financially to buy another sled. Adding a 4 stroke is what I’ve decided….anyone on here that has owned a Sidewinder/Thundercat/ZR9000 or a Skidoo 900R that has any input on what they like better or experienced between the two?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Hopefully next year the snow season is better. Cheers

I know what I like better once you fix the normal things on the 998, its the superior machine, but some guys don't know what to do to the 998 or what to correct the the factory shortfalls. The Doo 900 you can ride right from the factory. The 998 takes a couple small fixes to make the driveline bulletproof, the 900 does not.

I have a buddy that alternates between the 900 and 998 every season. The 900 wont hold a candle to a tuned 998 and just will not be as quick or fast unless you double or triple your cash into the 900, and even then it makes for a sled that doesn't handle as well as the 998 does. I get to ride them all as I work and tune on them both.

998 has a better front end, handles better, looks better & is easier to access under the hood. The 900 has a better rear suspension for ride when new, but doesn't like to keep the front end or ski lift down. The 900 steers harder than even the old non-EPS machines. EPS on the 998 steers easier than even the Doo 600's.

This is the Winder forum though so people are going to lean this way. Go to DooTalk and they will lean the Doo way. Ride them both and come to your own conclusion is the best way to figure what important to you. I see lots of common issues now on the 900 reading on DooTalk, it's certainly not as problem free as what they will want you to believe over there. The 1200 Doo seemed to be far more reliable and had less issues. You can read over there and see the common issue people are having, same can be said for the 998 with the driveline issues.

I know what I like better once you fix the normal things on the 998, its the superior machine, but some guys don't know what to do to the 998 or what to correct the the factory shortfalls. The Doo 900 you can ride right from the factory. The 998 takes a couple small fixes to make the driveline bulletproof, the 900 does not.

I have a buddy that alternates between the 900 and 998 every season. The 900 wont hold a candle to a tuned 998 and just will not be as quick or fast unless you double or triple your cash into the 900, and even then it makes for a sled that doesn't handle as well as the 998 does. I get to ride them all as I work and tune on them both.

998 has a better front end, handles better, looks better & is easier to access under the hood. The 900 has a better rear suspension for ride when new, but doesn't like to keep the front end or ski lift down. The 900 steers harder than even the old non-EPS machines. EPS on the 998 steers easier than even the Doo 600's.

This is the Winder forum though so people are going to lean this way. Go to DooTalk and they will lean the Doo way. Ride them both and come to your own conclusion is the best way to figure what important to you. I see lots of common issues now on the 900 reading on DooTalk, it's certainly not as problem free as what they will want you to believe over there. The 1200 Doo seemed to be far more reliable and had less issues. You can read over there and see the common issue people are having, same can be said for the 998 with the driveline issues.

Appreciate it

What are you looking to do with the sled and what kind of trails do you ride?

If I were riding quebec all the time, I would probably be running a sidewinder ltx le or SRX with Max Spool 16.

And I ride a 900R currently.

Rode my bone stock '18 LTX with a friend that has a hurricane tuned 900R. He has about double the studs that mine has, as well. We were about equal on railbeds and I would start to pull away in the turns. Since then, I did a bunch of work on mine (TD multimap/3 bar/2.5" turbo force/AK cold air/255lph fuel pump) and will have to wait until next year to see how badly the sidewinder tears it apart.

I saw your post over on Dootalk so you will get some feedback there as well. I will post here to not get too much blowback!

I personally love the one quote that when you buy a 998 it’s like 2 Sled’s in 1: half throttle is a 900r, full throttle is 998.

But on a more serious note, it does all depend on where you ride, how you like to ride and how long long you want to keep it.
There are fixes to do on a 998, but it is VERY EASY to work on. Complete hood is off in 30 seconds. If you do have to do anything on 900R it’s not quite as easy.
I think the obvious notes have been hit already:
- 998 is faster
- 998 has better front end
- 998 easier to tune for more hp
- You get EPS which negates any weight or heaviness feel

- 900R has better rear suspension
- 900R better storage and accessories
- 900R better fit and finish
- 900R better dealer network if do have an issue on a trip
- 900R you can get the nice 10.25 gauge.

I also think fuel mileage is the same between the 2 if ridden hard .

I know you rode a zr9000, but you should really try a 900r to see if you like the throttle. It’s still not the same feel despite what everyone on dootalk says. I think you get used to it, but it’s definitely not like a real cable throttle.
Also, I disagree on ‘maintenance free’ for a 900r. A lot of high mileage Québec riders on the French forums are complaining about cracked turbo manifolds every 6000kms ($$$$$, like 3500 or try your luck welding )and fuel pumps clogging that leave you stranded. Nobody can seem to figure out if it’s the tanks or fuel sock or pump. But it is an issue on higher mileage sleds.

I’m obviously still on a 998 for a reason. There will still be parts available for many years to come….

The other thing I will add is the DOO culture vs Yamaha culture, which comes into play when fixing and maintaining.
For a Yamacat, everything is out in the open, we have a list of master fixes and issues that need to be addressed. Over on dootalk, it’s like their sh*t doesn’t stink! There is no master list and people are always denying issues (like the fuel pump or turbo ones i mentioned). There are still 2 camps for the throttle, some ppl
love it, some hate it. I don’t understand that mentality, why not help each other out?
Same thing I saw for clutching and RPMS. Some are fast and some slow and no real consensus on how to address issues, it’s like you are on your own having to research.
Dunno…

Last edited:
I saw your post over on Dootalk so you will get some feedback there as well. I will post here to not get too much blowback!

I personally love the one quote that when you buy a 998 it’s like 2 Sled’s in 1: half throttle is a 900r, full throttle is 998.

But on a more serious note, it does all depend on where you ride, how you like to ride and how long long you want to keep it.
There are fixes to do on a 998, but it is VERY EASY to work on. Complete hood is off in 30 seconds. If you do have to do anything on 900R it’s not quite as easy.
- 998 is faster

I know you rode a zr9000, but you should really try a 900r to see if you like the throttle. It’s still not the same feel despite what everyone on dootalk says. I think you get used to it, but it’s definitely not like a real cable throttle.
Also, I disagree on ‘maintenance free’ for a 900r. A lot of high mileage Québec riders on the French forums are complaining about cracked turbo manifolds every 6000kms ($$$$$, like 3500 or try your luck welding )and fuel pumps clogging that leave you stranded. Nobody can seem to figure out if it’s the tanks or fuel sock or pump. But it is an issue on higher mileage sleds.

I’m obviously still on a 998 for a reason. There will still be parts available for many years to come….

The other thing I will add is the DOO culture vs Yamaha culture, which comes into play when fixing and maintaining.
For a Yamacat, everything is out in the open, we have a list of master fixes and issues that need to be addressed. Over on dootalk, it’s like their sh*t doesn’t stink! There is no master list and people are always denying issues (like the fuel pump or turbo ones i mentioned). There are still 2 camps for the throttle, some ppl
love it, some hate it. I don’t understand that mentality, why not help each other out?
Same thing I saw for clutching and RPMS. Some are fast and some slow and no real consensus on how to address issues, it’s like you are on your own having to research.
Dunno…

Great write up RH! I'm guilty of writing that quote.....I hope I didn't offend you, as my intention was only to spark a little humor.

The biggest reason the 998 is such a success is because of this forum. Well....let me rephrase.....because of the PEOPLE that make up this forum. Well.....let me rephrase again.....because of the knowledge, experience and integrity that the people on this forum possess and openly share. Most that are drawn to the 998 are gentlemen that have been riding for 50 years. They know a thing or two, because they've seen a thing or two. It is the sharing of this knowledge that make it a legendary machine.

In a few years, the era of the 998 will end and it's memory will float away in the breeze. I envision myself laying in bed in an old age home 30 years from now and getting a visit from my grandson's son. He says, "Hey Pep......you're gonna be proud of me.....I just bought an old sidewinder for $500 bucks!!". I smile, look over and say, "You wanna make that bich fly???"

- 998 is faster

Dunno…

Awesome Thank you!!

Great write up RH! I'm guilty of writing that quote.....I hope I didn't offend you, as my intention was only to spark a little humor.

The biggest reason the 998 is such a success is because of this forum. Well....let me rephrase.....because of the PEOPLE that make up this forum. Well.....let me rephrase again.....because of the knowledge, experience and integrity that the people on this forum possess and openly share. Most that are drawn to the 998 are gentlemen that have been riding for 50 years. They know a thing or two, because they've seen a thing or two. It is the sharing of this knowledge that make it a legendary machine.

In a few years, the era of the 998 will end and it's memory will float away in the breeze. I envision myself laying in bed in an old age home 30 years from now and getting a visit from my grandson's son. He says, "Hey Pep......you're gonna be proud of me.....I just bought an old sidewinder for $500 bucks!!". I smile, look over and say, "You wanna make that bich fly???"
That was an amazing Quote thank you all for the responses and information! It’s greatly appreciated You wanna make that bich fly??!! Haha

I switched to a Lynx with the 900R this season. I didn’t switch because I was unhappy with my Sidewinder, I switched because I wanted a new sled, and I didn’t want to ride the same thing for another 7k miles.

Admittedly, I hate the way the G5 Ski-Doo’s look, and I had read numerous times that the R-Motion X is not fun. So I ordered a Lynx with the PPS3. It took me a minute to get the sled setup to my liking, but now that it is, I am very happy with it. My only knock against it, is it is slow (100 GPS). I don’t think it is that far off from a stock Sidewinder in terms of acceleration, but compared to a tuned 998 there is 0 comparison.

Had I never owned a tuned 998, I would be 100% happy with the 900r. Once you have tasted that tuned power, you will think about it every time you ride something slower, no matter how good the sled is.

Back