• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quiet muffler

srvfan

Expert
ok I know everybody is about performance but....... I find this thing is loud ESP just poking along at 25-35 with wifey . It's got this weird harmonic to it at 5000-5500 rpm that is irritating . Does anybody make a quieter muffler ? In comparison the 850 etec 2 stroker is quieter which is nuts but true

Funny you should ask about this. I had a friend test drive my 14' Viper yesterday and first thing he said was "boy this is loud". He is coming off a 4 stroke doo. I also experience the unusual harmonics in that RPM range. I also just bought a leftover 16 Viper and similar loudness.
Do you think adding cone inserts would cause any warranty issues or reduce HP?

Funny you should ask about this. I had a friend test drive my 14' Viper yesterday and first thing he said was "boy this is loud". He is coming off a 4 stroke doo. I also experience the unusual harmonics in that RPM range. I also just bought a leftover 16 Viper and similar loudness.
Do you think adding cone inserts would cause any warranty issues or reduce HP?

Jealous that you are still riding. Sorry that I don't have an answer for the OP but I hear you on the difference between the Viper and the Doo. I bout my wife a 900 Gade this year and it is whisper quiet when compared to the Viper. In fact, my old Venture was quite a bit quieter as well but I caulked that up to the rear exit exhaust. I kind of like the throatiness of it, sounds mean but I am not getting the weird harmonic at 5500.

Hi Cannondale!

I have shorty header and Evo Muffleur and it's too loud ! I reinstalled back the stock Muffleur. I'm wondering if vortex insert will reduce significantly the noise without lose too much hp ?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/772-32520/10002/-1
I have not tried it. As you know the stock early mufflers blew out. They are very restrictive. Adding anything might increase odds of blowing out. Those cones should help sound but be careful.

I have not tried it. As you know the stock early mufflers blew out. They are very restrictive. Adding anything might increase odds of blowing out. Those cones should help sound but be careful.

sorry Cannondale if I'm not clear. I'd like to try with the Evo muffleur but I'm not convince it will reduce enough the noise or made some restriction

sorry Cannondale if I'm not clear. I'd like to try with the Evo muffleur but I'm not convince it will reduce enough the noise or made some restriction
I really don't know. You could just shove it in there without welding to try. On the Quads we used a big screen type cone from Yoshimura. That had very little restriction performance wise but quieted exhaust a lot. For speed and some MI running I am running the shorty header and can but for most all my trail running I am running the Header and stock Ulmer modded exhaust. It's still louder than stock but not bad at all. It also has not effected my top end other than it takes much longer to get there. Good luck.

Loud doesn't mean fast ....... Funny that the stock muffler is restrictive I wouldn't have thought that it sounds like there is very little packing in it

It's the worst when going realativly slow going faster u get more wind and trac noise etc not a pleasing sound like a vector or apex in comparison it sounds like a dump truck .rode with a couple 900 ACE doos wow what a difference

It's the drone that drives a guy nuts. I'm sure a quiet muffler could be built that does not rob power, but doubt it ever will. I have yet to ride a turbo sled, but my thought is that the exhaust going through the turbine wheel should chop things up and eliminate any drone.

Borla could probably do something very nice if they put there mind to it , yes agree on the drone

It's the drone that drives a guy nuts. I'm sure a quiet muffler could be built that does not rob power, but doubt it ever will. I have yet to ride a turbo sled, but my thought is that the exhaust going through the turbine wheel should chop things up and eliminate any drone.

TD Max,
What RPM do you most notice it at?
I get a fair amount of drone also and have been doing a search on how to cancel exhaust drone. It looks like a possible way to do it without loosing power is to build what's called a Helmholtz pipe to cancel out a specific exhaust frequency. There is a specific formula for calculating the length of pipe depending on desired frequency to be removed. There's a good link that explains it here https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...xhaust-resonator-tube-eliminate-drone-489463/

I haven't rode since Feb due to injury, but remember that the drone on mine gets louder as the exhaust system warms up (speed of sound increases with temperature). I haven't done the math yet as I don't remember if mine was at 5000 to 5500 RPM that srvfan is experiencing or at another RPM. However it may be possible to build a Helmholtz pipe and weld it in to exhaust system ahead of the muffler as long as the Helmholtz pipe doesn't need to be to long.

Last edited:
that's very interesting I had a couple 2 strokes with that type of stub on the exhaust . I always wondered why it was there I'm pretty sure my 600 SXR triple had 1

Back