• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Radiator Delete?

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
Has anybody tried deleting the radiator and just running tunnel coolers with ice scratchers? I did this on my old Nytro and wondered if anybody has tried it on the Viper?

Thanks!

I have been thinking about the same thing, I wanted to get more flow into the engine bay and thought that would be an easy way. Remove the rad and screen the opening behind the hood vent..... Maybe a mcx or mpi tunnel cooler to make up the loss of the rad. Just worried about how far the coolant lines would have to run and if there would be room below or beside the tunnel exhaust

Has anybody tried deleting the radiator and just running tunnel coolers with ice scratchers? I did this on my old Nytro and wondered if anybody has tried it on the Viper?

Thanks!

I thought about it as well, just wondering how much ice build up we would get with tunnel coolers??

Stupid question I know, but the goal of radiator delete is weight reduction-- correct? Or is their something else I am missing?

I thought about it as well, just wondering how much ice build up we would get with tunnel coolers??

Ya know I had not thought of that, Cat took the tunnel coolers out because of ice build up in the tunnel so putting them back in would probably cause more weight gain instead of less. Great thinking Tim!

Stupid question I know, but the goal of radiator delete is weight reduction-- correct? Or is their something else I am missing?

It's not a stupid question, weight loss from taking out the radiator, might not be that much, cause your adding coolers. But the weight from the front end would be less. But it would eliminate the steam from the front and eliminate the bogging from the steam. Like I said I would just worry about the ice build up. Plus the rad gets some ice build up as well and that can lead to warmer temps. I guess you get rid of one problem, but tunnel coolers would present another I think. That's just me thinking...

Ya know I had not thought of that, Cat took the tunnel coolers out because of ice build up in the tunnel so putting them back in would probably cause more weight gain instead of less. Great thinking Tim!

Ya that would be my concern. Gaining on one aspect, but loosing on another... What to do??

maybe even a smaller rad or just a different style of rad up front that might let more air past and still have enough cooling?

maybe even a smaller rad or just a different style of rad up front that might let more air past and still have enough cooling?

I went back and looked at this again.

My 2014 M8 which is the same chassis and has a 160hp 800 2 stroke. It only has the forward tunnel cooler and no radiator or rear tunnel coolers. I have to run ice scratchers most of the time but it is enough cooling. Makes me wonder if the Viper can do this also, and do a radiator delete and not add additional tunnel cooling.

Thoughts?

Now if that was the case /\.... why not still run a rad but small? like off an apex, did they not have a small one in the right foot well with a fan on it? You would still get some cooling and the fan would be a bonus not to mention the weight reduction and air flow.

You probably use the radiator less than we flat landers. There are times that there can be 20 inches of fresh snow on our trails and fields but almost nothing on the roadsides to drive the mile to get to them, even with scratchers.

This engine puts out a lot of heat. We get 160+ inches of snow a year in my area but because the county road commission routinely scrapes the roadsides down to grass or dirt we are constantly running off of the radiators leaving and returning home.

When normal trail riding I have enough heat coming out of my foot wells that I didn't wear insulated boots once last year, and the heat coming off of the back of the hood where my lower legs contact is often warm enough to heat me all the way through my bibs that also have heavy padding built-in to this area. I would recommend that if you do remove the radiator that you do a little testing first to insure that your not using it more than you know. The transition to the radiator happens so smoothly at 190 +/- 1-2 degrees that you may be using it more than you realize. 1/4 mile of good 3-4 inches of fresh snow lowers engine temperatures 15-25 degrees.

I'd just hate to see people remove their radiators when temperatures can raise so fast. Not everyone will be as cautious as you and could cause others to remove their radiators when it's not the right decision for them.

Perhaps Yukon Yamaha's incorporation of small Apex radiator and fan would be a better answer for most people looking to save a couple pounds.

I'll find out in the morning, have a friend who's turbo is about 8 miles from here in his 40X60 garage!

Back